Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 07:05 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if any of you are wine drinkers, but this link includes a list of black-owned wine brands.

https://www.essence.com/lifestyle/fo...k-owned-wines/

Old 12-31-2019, 08:09 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I don’t know if any of you are wine drinkers, but this link includes a list of black-owned wine brands.

https://www.essence.com/lifestyle/fo...k-owned-wines/
Interestingly, the first time I ever heard of an African-American making wine, it was on Anthony Bourdain No Reservations. It was an episode in France, Burgundy specifically.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
I'm debating on whether or not to pursue a doctorate. Where are you working on yours at? Did your program require you to retake the GRE?

prefer not to mention where. I didn't have to take the GRE because I have a master's and I have a GPA from my masters of 4.0 and a 3.89 in undergrad.

Is it non-profit? Nice. I'm working at a University. Now, we don't have any doctoral programs, however I've heard that the Louisiana State University System may pay for that at least partially. I know that If I wanted to pursue a second masters degree at a Louisiana University at this time, I'd get a pretty nice discount.

I work for a contractor that is a mix of public and private sector. Most of my clients are public universities.

How long have you been into secular humanism? About religion....I'm a rather distant Christian. I often wonder why black SJWs thrown Christianity under the bus but are not willing to do the same thing with Islam. After all, it was also heavily involved in the slave trade. Not to mention Arabs are STILL enslaving Native Africans in Northern Africa.

I have considered myself a secular humanist for a little over 10 years now. I agree that Islam is just as troublesome as Christianity from an historic perspective in regards to the slave trade. I feel many liberals don't have a good view of either Christianity or Islam from a religious perspective however. They just don't want people discriminated against for their religious views, and I can respect that of them.

Some argue that black feminism is partially responsible for breaking up the black family. Do you think there is a general misunderstanding or miseducation of what black feminism is? What about feminism in general?

No, I don't think that feminism is responsible for the "breakup of the black family." And LOL at that as IMO the black family has never been and is not currently "broken." As I mentioned in my post a while ago (sorry for the time in response, I was on vacation) black people in America have been embedded with a social view of ourselves that deems us as inferior to other people. One of the ways that we have been inferiorized is that we have been told for centuries that we have bad or dysfunctional families. IMO one of the greatest strengths of black America is our family bonds and community bonds. If black families have ever been broken, it was the literal breaking up of our families under the institution of chattel slavery, Jim Crow (and its oppressiveness in regards to the criminal "justice" system especially), and the socialization our people have accepted as a result of white supremacy ideology, which I described in this paragraph, whereas we are socially taught and therefore believe our families are dysfunctional or "broken" when they are not.

In regards to black feminism, IMO most African American men don't know what black feminism is. They should read the book I mentioned earlier if they want to know what it is. It is not the same as white/mainstream feminism and is historically very critical of mainstream feminism. However, black feminism is also very "hard" in a way on patriarchy as taught and sought after by black men who want to acquire the role of the white patriarch in black America. This is the issue that I've had to speak too much to my Muslim family members about and they get upset at me about. I know it will upset them so I usually don't bring it up unless they "push" me. If you educate yourself in regards to the role of women in black America from the 17th century forward and the impact white patrarchy has had upon both black men and women, then you will know what I'm speaking of. Black feminism focuses specifically on building up black individuals and families and encourages all black people to help each other and be tolerant of each other. In regards to masculinity, it encourages black men to stop trying to be a white patriarch (by wanting to dominate black women and children like white men historically did) and to define your masculinity yourselves. The author bell hooks is basically the pre-eminent scholar on black feminism. She has some great works you can look up on Amazon. Some are free online in PDF form that you can read.

On feminism in general, I agree with mainstream feminist in regards to the idea that women should be able to freely decide how to live their lives and that we should have equal opportunities to achieve or seek certain fields of education and employment. I also am VERY pro-choice and interestingly became as such upon being pregnant. Pregnancy is a beast and IMO no woman should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term if she doesn't want to. Being pro-choice is not the same thing as wanting everyone to abort their children and often the far right likes to try to say this is the case, when it is not. I don't think (prior to age 40 - I'd have to re-assess today) I'd ever have an abortion, but just because I would not doesn't mean that I feel that other women should not. Pregnancy is a personal experience of the woman and the man and their extended familial/kin/friendship network and IMO should not be the subject of excessive government authority. So I typically support feminist candidates politically and my main reason for voting for HRC in 2016 was to prevent Trump from putting super right leaning judges on SCOTUS like he promised he'd to for the uber right leaning part of our government.

I'll admit that I'm guilty of this and SOME black people do spend too much money on BS. But then again, so do some other groups.

On the bold, all Americans spend too much money on BS. The idea that only black people do IMO is ridiculous.

Can I ask what you think of programs such as Buy the Block?

I think it is a good idea for people interested in investing. IMO buying in the inner city, in certain cities is a great idea.

IMO, both have their pros and cons. Can I ask what it is you don't like about suburban living?

The lack of a community feel for me was something I didn't like, I also didn't like living far away from my job, which was in the city. I also don't like the lack of diversity in the public schools in some suburban communities. Luckily in Atlanta where we lived, the suburbs are pretty diverse but some of them are not. Since our kids are older now, I'm not as worried about the schools. When our daughter is out of school, we'll probably move to the forest, as I noted and will live around white folks probably predominately. I have no issues with that. However, I would love for my daughter to attend a private independent school in an African nation for high school, as noted we are looking to move to an African nation temporarily.

Responses in blue.
Responses in black above.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Will further note on black feminism and my comments regarding the idea that black men should define masculinity yourselves instead of following white patriarchal traditions, is the fact that intolerance of LGBT persons is something that is related to white patriarchy. Our religious leans in regards to protestant Christianity is something that was forced upon our ancestors by white men and homosexuality and gender roles/identity were included in that religious/social conditioning.

IMO a lot of online folks today in black America have a HUGE level of prejudice and intolerance against black people who are gay, lesbian, or trans. In my personal life, I have had many debates and somewhat intense discussions, even with my own husband and mother about them and their prejudices against LGBT persons.

The idea that homosexuality didn't exist in Africa is false and there are historic records of European colonialists - especially priests/religious workers/missionaries who wrote at length about the ways they combatting homosexual behavior in the African nations they later colonized (FWIW - Uganda is one of those nations and I mention them only because of they've recently been in the news for their "kill the gays" laws. And FWIW they were one of my primary countries that I was looking at to move to but now I am hesitant because of these discriminatory laws. I am not gay/lesbian or trans - which I mention only because it seems many black people, if you don't share their prejudices, they automatically think you or your children are one of the above, but I'm not "for" any sort of oppression of black people and no matter what these folks want to believe, there are black LGBTQ persons and they deserve to exist and live their lives as they see fit IMO as long as they are not victimizing anyone - same as heterosexual people IMO).

One of the things I've spoken to with my husband and brothers, all of whom have a varying degree of intolerance against LGBTQ persons (all of them believe in the "gay agenda" which is silly to me) is that they were taught this sort of mindset by white patriarchy and they are just continuing those oppressive ideals.

Also that if you are "for" black people, then you should be "for" ALL black people and not just those you like. Everyone doesn't have to be in the relationship you want, follow the religion you want, follow the political lean you want, etc. If you are truly Pan African and for black people, then you should be inclusive and tolerant and not put your comments in other people's love lives. I'll further note, I'm tolerant of their views and we've discussed this as they try to say I'm not. I don't typically bring up the conversations in this regard as all of them know my perspective. They bring it up when it is something they've seen online or in the news and just want to have a debate/conversation. They usually are the one who ends up getting mad lol. I keep telling them that no matter what they say, I'm not going to change my perspective and I'm not going to believe a "gay agenda" exist. To me the gay agenda started with white conservatives (I first heard of/saw it amongst their media) and similar to the historical narrative, black men are just going along again with the white patrarch in this regards. They can do so, but I'm not going to sit around and listen to anyone be denigrated in our family or community. Interestingly, my husband has a gay brother. I have a gay sister. He gets along great with both of them and never says anything negative about them in their presence, yet when he sees one of these YouTube shows or reads some sort of media about the gay agenda, he wants to challenge my position again and see if it makes me "see" the gay agenda. It's funny to me but luckily it occurs less and less. Interestingly, he primarily follows African American and African media channels on YouTube and the African ones are the worse IMO in regards to speaking about the "gay agenda." Observing the effect t his media has had on him, my younger male cousins, and my nephews and brothers, is the main reason why I know that media can really control and warp the thoughts of the populace. He never spoke about this sort of thing or ever expressed these sorts of topics to me until around 6 years ago when we got a smart TV/Tivo and he started watching these YouTube channels.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Figures this thread would start bending over to entertainment/black entertainers. That's why I stay out. Blacks seem to enjoy over the top, stereotypical entertainment when it's really the whites demanding it. But then that's on us. We never want to see the truth about our own lives.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:11 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

It's been a while since I've posted and wanted to start a space for blacks (regardless of origin in the diaspora) to discuss politics and social status. My vision is for it to be similar to threads that I've started in the past by having some starter questions with other topics to eventually evolve from the initial questions.

Do you identify as ADOS or are you descended from another region (West Indies, Africa, etc)?

Do you identify politically as a Democrat, Republic, Independent, or Other?

Do you identify as conservative, liberal, moderate, or other?

What region are you currently located in?

When it comes to illegal immigration, do you think that it's worse in some areas than others?

Where do you primarily get your news from? (FOX, CNN, etc?)

Should black people form their own political parties?

What's your stance on movements such as "BLEXIT" and the like?

When it comes to the state of black Economics (depending on your area), what would you like to see change? What can we do to attain that?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Do you identify as ADOS or are you descended from another region (West Indies, Africa, etc)?

ADOS

Do you identify politically as a Democrat, Republic, Independent, or Other?

Independent

Do you identify as conservative, liberal, moderate, or other?

Progressive (Social Democrat)

What region are you currently located in?

Southeast US

When it comes to illegal immigration, do you think that it's worse in some areas than others?

Yes. It has primarily been an issue in southern and western regions of the US.

Where do you primarily get your news from? (FOX, CNN, etc?)

Alternative sources

Should black people form their own political parties?

I don't see much good coming from this. In a country where Hispanics and Whites still have significant influence in the electoral process, a race-centric party will only breed more divisiveness amongst people who may otherwise agree with African-Americans on economic and social policies if not for the color of their skin.

What's your stance on movements such as "BLEXIT" and the like?

It's not helpful. Such a movement wouldn't do anything to change the 2-party stranglehold our country faces and would only embolden those who already see no point in catering to African Americans to further alienate us and our cause. The best way forward is to elect a leader who is committed to bullying those who aren't aligned with our agenda into fighting for our interests and also electing officials at the grassroots level who have committed to not being corrupted by special interests.

When it comes to the state of black Economics (depending on your area), what would you like to see change? What can we do to attain that?

Policies to address the growing wealth disparity, with a focus on boosting labor union membership in blue/pink collar industries that blacks & minorities overwhelmingly populate as well as increasing funding at the secondary education level for skilled occupations such as Plumbers, Electricians, etc.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
I was not a fan of BLM but I did think that Hillary shouldn't have snubbed the member who tried to talk to her. IIRC, they had damn good questions. I don't understand the love for Democrats among blacks. What in the heck have dems done for you?

I pretty much hate Trump but he has done more for black people than any President in a long time.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:52 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was not a fan of BLM but I did think that Hillary shouldn't have snubbed the member who tried to talk to her. IIRC, they had damn good questions. I don't understand the love for Democrats among blacks. What in the heck have dems done for you?

I pretty much hate Trump but he has done more for black people than any President in a long time.
WHat exactly do you think Trump has done ?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovementGuy View Post
This is gonna blow your mind, or maybe not, but as you learn more about the group you'll understand what I'm talking about.

BLM were controlled opposition and had the same funding sources as the DNC. Deray McKesson, the face of "Black Lives Matter," was working with the DNC that Hillary was funding.

They were literally used to control our voice and what the public heard regarding the issue of police corruption and racism.

They were the only non-organic Movement. They had received millions from George Soros, the Ford Foundation, and other DNC donors before Ferguson ever started. The whole "Black Lives Matter" thing was just a ploy to try and contain all of the black Americans coming together against police corruption. They lied about their affiliations.
What do you mean contain them?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
WHat exactly do you think Trump has done ?
Second chance act. Dems locked black people up. Trump is pardoning and reducing sentences and helping people after prison to be able to work and have a life. Record low unemployment among blacks. Billions to revitalize communities themselves rather than whites coming in and gentrifying. There is more that I don't remember. I asked a black Trump fan WHY and he told me and I was like wow, that is cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies