Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2020, 10:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
So how to address costs when there is little or no income, and not much chance of any stable, long-term income?

Technically they couldn't afford school. But that's not an issue, because in general schools would be cheaper anyway. Public school is actually wildly expensive.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Here is something:

My daughter is distraught about something.

She's a light-skinned black woman, lighter than either me or her mother or her brother (throwback genetics, about two generations for her mother, 'way back to the 19th century for me). It's been a source of annoyance pretty much since she was born, when a dark-skinned next door neighbor was crude enough to remark about who who father might be (her features are quite full, especially her lips--which are identical to mine--and she has our 4b/4c hair. She pretty much looks like me.)

She was doomed to be somewhat "bougie" because she was a military brat who lived in Asia for most of her childhood, so there's no "hood" in her (for that matter, her mother and I had both been world-traveling military brats ourselves). But she has always firmly identified as a black woman, which is what she was raised to consider herself.

What has thrown her for a loop is the recent realization that in her current workplace (where she is the only black person), everyone had assumed she is bi-racial. She came to realize that from some of the comments of senior members who have biracial grand-children.

And with that came the realization that her entire presence in the company may be a matter of bi-racial privilege.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Here is something:

She's a light-skinned black woman, lighter than either me or her mother or her brother (throwback genetics, about two generations for her mother, 'way back to the 19th century for me). It's been a source of annoyance pretty much since she was born, when a dark-skinned next door neighbor was crude enough to remark about who who father might be (her features are quite full, especially her lips--which are identical to mine--and she has our 4b/4c hair. She pretty much looks like me.)

She was doomed to be somewhat "bougie" because she was a military brat who lived in Asia for most of her childhood, so there's no "hood" in her (for that matter, her mother and I had both been world-traveling military brats ourselves). But she has always firmly identified as a black woman, which is what she was raised to consider herself.

What has thrown her for a loop is the recent realization that in her current workplace (where she is the only black person), everyone had assumed she is bi-racial. She came to realize that from some of the comments of senior members who have biracial grand-children.

And with that came the realization that her entire presence in the company may be a matter of bi-racial privilege.
That's something isn't it? As if black people don't come in all shades. Hell, there are bi-racial people who a slightly lighter than me and you'd never guess. Sounds like she might be what we call "high yellow."

Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Here is something:

Bi-Racial privilege? Total BS

I'm very very often the only black person in my team. Currently, I'm the only black person in my entire organization. Do I have dark skinned, fat, balled brother privilege?

Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913;56993505[B
]Technically they couldn't afford school. [/b] But that's not an issue, because in general schools would be cheaper anyway. Public school is actually wildly expensive.
It would be this. Of course public school could be abolished completely, but many will not be able to afford the market rate and many would not pay anyhow. Unpaid fees and termination would eventually match the high homeless situation all over the country. The difference is that kids would go back to becoming wards of the state which results in more high costs for taxpayers, and satisfactory outcomes be few and far between.

Either way, the poorest people in America will be forced elsewhere because the lowest segment of the population can no longer reach the expectations of living in America. It's coming sooner than we think.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:35 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

I'm very very often the only black person in my team. Currently, I'm the only black person in my entire organization. Do I have dark skinned, fat, balled brother privilege?
That's actually a possibility in some cases. The best single representative of the whole makes it in the door.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:01 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

It's called "token".

Old 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It would be this. Of course public school could be abolished completely, but many will not be able to afford the market rate and many would not pay anyhow. Unpaid fees and termination would eventually match the high homeless situation all over the country. The difference is that kids would go back to becoming wards of the state which results in more high costs for taxpayers, and satisfactory outcomes be few and far between.

Either way, the poorest people in America will be forced elsewhere because the lowest segment of the population can no longer reach the expectations of living in America. It's coming sooner than we think.

For one, if schools were abolished completely, that is less taxes going towards schools, and more money going in your pocket. People always think about what they're losing when you get rid of government services vs what you'll be gaining. Chances are most individuals will have more money to work with because this is money their not paying into a government service. And remember, public school is extremely expsensive. So chances are the private school alternative probably is a lot less than what you're paying for "free" public school.

Secondly, if I opened up a private school in a lower income neighborhood. But then my prices were so high that no one could afford to go. What would happen to my school? Yes, correct, it would not get any attendance and would eventually go out of business. So the school would have to set prices appropriately. These are things that people don't think about when it comes to cost. Lowering prices to make sure people can afford to attend is preferable to keeping the prices high and having no attendance.

So then you're saying, "well wouldn't the people from higher income communities just pay for the school"? And the answer to that is "potentially". But keep in mind if there was no public school system, there would likely be private school options in their neighborhoods. There would be added cost to them to transport their children what is assumed to be across town. So while they're paying less in tuition, they are making it back up in transportation cost. so there is still little incentive for them to not just send their own children to schools in their own area.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It's called "token".
I've worked at several places in a near 20 year career. Tokens are lucky. Hard to be lucky for 20 years. Plus I do not fit the mode of a token. I'm a fat black guy for one. Tokens are usually more fit and muscular. And I'm actually pretty outspoken and don't kiss ass. I actually find being called a token to be a bit insulting, considering how good I am at my job.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
That's actually a possibility in some cases. The best single representative of the whole makes it in the door.
I'm not the best representative of black people. But then again, I've found that the job market is probably one of the fairest places in this country. I'll actually go into more details pretty soon. There is a perfectly logical reason for me saying what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies