Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I would say American. Because white people don't have a monopoly of what's relevant in American culture. Black people has contributed a lot to American culture. As well as aspects of the America dialect, music, and cuisines. Black American culture isn't African, but it doesn't have to be. It's a unique thing and it should be celebrated. Black American culture isn't always about thugs and poverty. The whole black thug culture was manufactured in the late 70s and 80s. There is still a vibrant culture of black Americianism that is amazing.
Nope....we contributed to building this nation....for sure. However, we were seen as an inferior race....so whites were not trying to copy us and blacks were and still are trying to copy whites because we secretly still see them as superior. Now, again, in music that differs. You have to show me other examples of how American culture has been shaped by blacks. You might be right and I just don't know....in that case I will stand corrected but you have to give me more than just saying it is so.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You can say American or White....means the same thing. Again, whose language are you speaking? Whose surname do you posses? Whose customs do your practice? Whose diet do you follow? Culture is LEARNED and the only people for us to have learned from these last 300 years have been whites. They could not take our rhythm from us, so lots of our African musical culture exists in our Music and how we may worship in church....but our customs are white. Note that I said "our". I am culturally white too. However, I am exposing and learning different.
Just because black American culture isn't uniquely African doesn't mean its "white". By the account there are a lot of things white people do in America that they don't do in Europe. None of the crusines are the same either. Ever have someone ever eat real Italian food? Theyll tell you the italian food you get here in no way resembles food you get in Itally. I could go on

So to the effect American culture isn't all that European either. Even a pretty big disconnect in social policies as well. So you can't even say they are aligned philosophically. Maybe in terms of being allies on the international stage, but then again Saudi Arabia is a US ally.

I also don't think having more distinctive Africa influence would make that big of a difference. If you want to know about Africa then I encourage you to learn more about it. But it's not going to change your life or make you more self aware. If anything I think black Americans would be more divided. Because Africa is fairly culturally diverse and 2 tribes may not have anything in common. Imagine not dealing with your black American neighbor because he or she is from a different tribe. And yes stuff this carries over in Africans after the immigrate here. I know a Liberian woman who hates Nigerians with a passion. Absolutely prejudice against them.

You see this to some degree in the UK which does not have a single black community. You instead have African blacks and Jamaican blacks. And the 2 communities are mostly separate from each other.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Just because black American culture isn't uniquely African doesn't mean its "white". By the account there are a lot of things white people do in America that they don't do in Europe. None of the crusines are the same either. Ever have someone ever eat real Italian food? Theyll tell you the italian food you get here in no way resembles food you get in Itally. I could go on

So to the effect American culture isn't all that European either. Even a pretty big disconnect in social policies as well. So you can't even say they are aligned philosophically. Maybe in terms of being allies on the international stage, but then again Saudi Arabia is a US ally.

I also don't think having more distinctive Africa influence would make that big of a difference. If you want to know about Africa then I encourage you to learn more about it. But it's not going to change your life or make you more self aware. If anything I think black Americans would be more divided. Because Africa is fairly culturally diverse and 2 tribes may not have anything in common. Imagine not dealing with your black American neighbor because he or she is from a different tribe. And yes stuff this carries over in Africans after the immigrate here. I know a Liberian woman who hates Nigerians with a passion. Absolutely prejudice against them.

You see this to some degree in the UK which does not have a single black community. You instead have African blacks and Jamaican blacks. And the 2 communities are mostly separate from each other.
I think it’s all what you believe and you believe Africa offers you nothing and I believe it offers and has giving me something...so this is what we project out to others....what we find true of ourselves.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I think it’s all what you believe and you believe Africa offers you nothing and I believe it offers and has giving me something...so this is what we project out to others....what we find true of ourselves.

Just seem to me like you're making a personal problem into a political problem. A lot of people have an issue figuring out where their personal issues end and where political issues begin. If you're confused about who you are, no political movement is going to bring that to life. If anything you're ripped to be exploited by people who will use your confusion to manipulate you. This happens to a lot of people around the world. That is why knowledge of self is very important. That is why I always say, learn to be a better version of yourself.

There is a reason why I don't come to theee forums and just parrot a bunch of partisan nonsense. Because I don't derive a sense of identity from political parties or associations. I know very well who I am and what principals I stand on. That is why I frequently call out both parties. No the path to self discovery is a long one, and it took me years to really come to terms with what I believe and stand on. But that is going to come from within and no some movement or party. This is also why I believe in radical individualism. Because no one can tell you who you are better than yourself. Some people can provide valuable insight about what you're about, but only you can truly know who you are. And because of that movements and groups are absolutely pointless to me. Particularly if your goal is knowledge of self.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Just seem to me like you're making a personal problem into a political problem. A lot of people have an issue figuring out where their personal issues end and where political issues begin. If you're confused about who you are, no political movement is going to bring that to life. If anything you're ripped to be exploited by people who will use your confusion to manipulate you. This happens to a lot of people around the world. That is why knowledge of self is very important. That is why I always say, learn to be a better version of yourself.

There is a reason why I don't come to theee forums and just parrot a bunch of partisan nonsense. Because I don't derive a sense of identity from political parties or associations. I know very well who I am and what principals I stand on. That is why I frequently call out both parties. No the path to self discovery is a long one, and it took me years to really come to terms with what I believe and stand on. But that is going to come from within and no some movement or party. This is also why I believe in radical individualism. Because no one can tell you who you are better than yourself. Some people can provide valuable insight about what you're about, but only you can truly know who you are. And because of that movements and groups are absolutely pointless to me. Particularly if your goal is knowledge of self.
Where did I mention politics? Anyway, people with shared personal problems oft parley them into an issue to be represented through the body politics. You are free to talk about politics but it is not germane to any point I was making about you being culturally white. What does that have to do with politics?

Old 01-09-2020, 08:25 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
But how would one define being CULTURALLY black? There are black people literally all over the world. What color do you think the original Chinese were for example?

Old 01-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
But how would one define being CULTURALLY black? There are black people literally all over the world. What color do you think the original Chinese were for example?
I don't see the relevance of the original color of Chinese...or Swedes, for that matter.

The root of who we are and where our ancestors (mostly) came from is Africa. So Africa defines what black culture is for black people the world over. America has conditioned blacks to look down on Africa and everything African. When black people look down at Africa....they look down upon themselves.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Where did I mention politics? Anyway, people with shared personal problems oft parley them into an issue to be represented through the body politics. You are free to talk about politics but it is not germane to any point I was making about you being culturally white. What does that have to do with politics?

The terms "white" and "black" are mostly politically charged words. Particularly when you say "white" culture. Which is a loaded and nebulous term anyway. White isn't so much a racial group, as it's a political and social designation and position. And it was created to be such. So I don't see "white" as being much of a culture at all, because whiteness isn't tied to a particular ethnic group. Plenty of people who weren't white are now white, and some who were white and no longe considered white. Hispanics in the 50s were considered white, now they are no longer considered white, as a good example. Italians not being considered white in the 19th century, but now being considered white today is another example. What is considered white tends to not be constant, but seems to be an expanding and contracting term. It's also not tied to any sort of biological reality. I can say the SAME is true for blacks. It's mostly just a catch-all for dark skinned people, and again tends to expand and contract based on whatever social conditions are going on at the time. Depending on who you ask and in what time period, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are black. Sometimes they're white. Sometimes they're just "latino". Doesn't matter. Race in America has no biological reality. They're all political terms that are arbitrarily defined.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The terms "white" and "black" are mostly politically charged words. Particularly when you say "white" culture. Which is a loaded and nebulous term anyway. White isn't so much a racial group, as it's a political and social designation and position. And it was created to be such. So I don't see "white" as being much of a culture at all, because whiteness isn't tied to a particular ethnic group. Plenty of people who weren't white are now white, and some who were white and no longe considered white. Hispanics in the 50s were considered white, now they are no longer considered white, as a good example. Italians not being considered white in the 19th century, but now being considered white today is another example. What is considered white tends to not be constant, but seems to be an expanding and contracting term. It's also not tied to any sort of biological reality. I can say the SAME is true for blacks. It's mostly just a catch-all for dark skinned people, and again tends to expand and contract based on whatever social conditions are going on at the time. Depending on who you ask and in what time period, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are black. Sometimes they're white. Sometimes they're just "latino". Doesn't matter. Race in America has no biological reality. They're all political terms that are arbitrarily defined.
Those terms are politically charged words ONLY if you see everything through the prism of politics. Everything has to be converted to "left vs right" to be discussed.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I would like to hear from some people here on this thread about mental health, and in particular, how it applies to the Black American population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies