Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 02:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
What do you think of Umar Johnson? Let's discuss him. Do you believe he has a concern or is it all about the Benjamins?

What do you think of his stance on IR dating and relationships? His stance on homosexuality? He's pretty vocal about his stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhBOcUv4QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVXo4UIYMZE

Con artist. Occassionally mix genuine insight with shameless self promotion and money grabs. Even if his school were a real thing, he doesn’t have the business sense to run it well. The fact that he lacks any transparency is a problem. Also the problem he has got close to 1 million in “donations” but can’t speak to what he’s done with the money is another problem. Even if his intentions were correct, it is clear he doesn’t know how to manage money. I certainly wouldn’t trust him to be able to really run the school at all. But I don’t think there is a school, he’s just a con man. Last I heard he “purchased” the school, but need additional money to actually add facilities and such. The reality is that he doesn’t need to be accountable so he can say anything he want.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Con artist. Occassionally mix genuine insight with shameless self promotion and money grabs. Even if his school were a real thing, he doesn’t have the business sense to run it well. The fact that he lacks any transparency is a problem. Also the problem he has got close to 1 million in “donations” but can’t speak to what he’s done with the money is another problem. Even if his intentions were correct, it is clear he doesn’t know how to manage money. I certainly wouldn’t trust him to be able to really run the school at all. But I don’t think there is a school, he’s just a con man. Last I heard he “purchased” the school, but need additional money to actually add facilities and such. The reality is that he doesn’t need to be accountable so he can say anything he want.

Like so many of these "woke" folks, he mixes accuracy with his own bias. Schools do take time to build but I'm with you. Like bro, come on! I do question if the school is really in the cards or if Mr. Johnson is just another charlatan.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:07 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
What do you think of Umar Johnson? Let's discuss him. Do you believe he has a concern or is it all about the Benjamins?

What do you think of his stance on IR dating and relationships? His stance on homosexuality? He's pretty vocal about his stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhBOcUv4QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVXo4UIYMZE
I know about Umar Johnson. I find him to be a fraud. He keeps claiming that he needs money to set up a school for Black children. I haven't seen anything of the kind happen. He is what I would call a "hotep hustler". I'm not seeing anything done.

From a Christian perspective, I'm not into homosexuality. I'm not going to hate homosexuals, but I'm not pro-homosexual either.

Now, when it comes to interracial marriages, I am as pro-interracial marriage as they come. I have no problem with it. This where I would disagree with Umar Johnson. I don't like Johnson's stance on interracial marriage.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Like so many of these "woke" folks, he mixes accuracy with his own bias. Schools do take time to build but I'm with you. Like bro, come on! I do question if the school is really in the cards or if Mr. Johnson is just another charlatan.

The problem is, that it's a lose/lose situation. At worst he's a con man, and best he's a bad business owner. I love investing, and in investing sometimes you may take a risk in an unknown startup. There are certain characteristics about CEOs you like and certain characteristic you don't. I've found Umar to be more in the bad CEO category. Meaning he yells and scream at people whenever they're asked about investment capital. In this case its donations, but it's the same principal. And he occassionally makes "forward moving statements". Forward moving statement meaning, you make promises of what's coming but you don't set a date or a timeline. You just know this thing or that thing is going to happen sometimes in the future.

Now granted he doesn't need to be a financial guru to run a business. God knows most CEOs aren't. However what a good CEO does is either talk about partnerships or announce different people joining their leadership staff. Unfortunately he does neither so you can only assume he's trying to figure it all out on his own. And $250k later he still has his hand out asking for more stuff.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:29 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know about Umar Johnson. I find him to be a fraud. He keeps claiming that he needs money to set up a school for Black children. I haven't seen anything of the kind happen. He is what I would call a "hotep hustler". I'm not seeing anything done.

From a Christian perspective, I'm not into homosexuality. I'm not going to hate homosexuals, but I'm not pro-homosexual either.

Now, when it comes to interracial marriages, I am as pro-interracial marriage as they come. I have no problem with it. This where I would disagree with Umar Johnson. I don't like Johnson's stance on interracial marriage.
What do you mean when you say you are as pro-interracial dating as they come? That almost sounds like you are looking for a white girl . I agree with it, but like Umar, I generally don’t want to hear no pro black talk from people in interracial relationships....there are exceptions of course. To me it’s like a Ford salesman who drives a new Honda instead of a Ford. Don’t try to tell me how great the Ford brand is when you personally chose another brand over it. Again, there are exceptions so I would first need to know why he drives the Honda. Maybe he won it...lol. Otherwise I am going to go by what he does and not what he says/sales. When people choose the assumption is that they will choose the best, unless they are settling for what they can get as opposed to what they really want.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-11-2020 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Naw. I believe he is genuine , but he is a moron, LOL.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 PM

Regarding interracial dating. I find that it's probably ok for black women, but not good for black men. Meaning that I feel society finds interracial dating far more acceptable for black women they they find it acceptable for black men. In media I've noticed there is a constant need to portray black women with white men. And there seems to be a push to get black women to date more white men. I think eventually black women/white male pairings are going to be a lot more common.

As to why there has been a push in media to encourage more black women/white male couples is anyone's guess. I can only speculate that maybe since black women still consume a lot of media and watch television, and they have the most expendable income. That perhaps showing black women with white males indicates black women's acceptance into mainstream culture. Best I can tell.

Conversely I see less media images of black men in interracial relationships. Though there does seem to always be a need to portray black men as gay in a lot of TV shows, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be gay. One of the reasons I couldn't watch Brooklyn Nine Nine was because they had a strong police sergeant. Seemed wise and capable and intelligent. But he had to basically be gay. Even if him being gay had little or nothing to do with his personality. It's like the media is scared to show a competent black male figure or a black family. Even in shows like blackish, it's clear that the wife is the wise one, and the husband is a goofball. Don't get me wrong, he's an entertaining character, but he's mostly entertaining because he's a goofball.

As a black man. I have very mixed feelings about interracial dating. I really can't see myself with a non black woman in anything serious. However I also don't relate well with black women for a lot of reasons. I'm a senior tech guy in a male dominated industry with very few women and zero black women. So most black women are in my field at all, hence I'm far more disconnected from black women socially and even economically. I also out earn most black women. A lot of black women are use to out earning their partner, where I usually out earn them. Youd think it would be a breath of fresh air for them but black women tend to feel very insecure when they find a man who is above them economically. But they don't seem to have an issue with white men who out earn them. I guess because that's just what they expect? With other race of women this doesn't appear to be as much of an issue. And even some of my best relationship have been interracial. But I still feel I have problem connecting with women of other races. Unless they're something like puerto rican, which up north they live and act similar to black people. For all intents and purposes they basically are black. Literally the same community in Philly and NYC most of the time.

So I have a very confused opinion on interracial dating. I would prefer to see stronger black families. But I also can't tell people dating other races is wrong because at the end of the day it should be about what makes you happy. With that said we have to acknowledge that people in the black, asian, and indian community see interracial dating as a status symbol. Particularly if you can get a white man or a white woman. Now that's something to really talk about.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Regarding interracial dating. I find that it's probably ok for black women, but not good for black men. Meaning that I feel society finds interracial dating far more acceptable for black women they they find it acceptable for black men. In media I've noticed there is a constant need to portray black women with white men. And there seems to be a push to get black women to date more white men. I think eventually black women/white male pairings are going to be a lot more common.

As to why there has been a push in media to encourage more black women/white male couples is anyone's guess. I can only speculate that maybe since black women still consume a lot of media and watch television, and they have the most expendable income. That perhaps showing black women with white males indicates black women's acceptance into mainstream culture. Best I can tell.

Conversely I see less media images of black men in interracial relationships. Though there does seem to always be a need to portray black men as gay in a lot of TV shows, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be gay. One of the reasons I couldn't watch Brooklyn Nine Nine was because they had a strong police sergeant. Seemed wise and capable and intelligent. But he had to basically be gay. Even if him being gay had little or nothing to do with his personality. It's like the media is scared to show a competent black male figure or a black family. Even in shows like blackish, it's clear that the wife is the wise one, and the husband is a goofball. Don't get me wrong, he's an entertaining character, but he's mostly entertaining because he's a goofball.

As a black man. I have very mixed feelings about interracial dating. I really can't see myself with a non black woman in anything serious. However I also don't relate well with black women for a lot of reasons. I'm a senior tech guy in a male dominated industry with very few women and zero black women. So most black women are in my field at all, hence I'm far more disconnected from black women socially and even economically. I also out earn most black women. A lot of black women are use to out earning their partner, where I usually out earn them. Youd think it would be a breath of fresh air for them but black women tend to feel very insecure when they find a man who is above them economically. But they don't seem to have an issue with white men who out earn them. I guess because that's just what they expect? With other race of women this doesn't appear to be as much of an issue. And even some of my best relationship have been interracial. But I still feel I have problem connecting with women of other races. Unless they're something like puerto rican, which up north they live and act similar to black people. For all intents and purposes they basically are black. Literally the same community in Philly and NYC most of the time.

So I have a very confused opinion on interracial dating. I would prefer to see stronger black families. But I also can't tell people dating other races is wrong because at the end of the day it should be about what makes you happy. With that said we have to acknowledge that people in the black, asian, and indian community see interracial dating as a status symbol. Particularly if you can get a white man or a white woman. Now that's something to really talk about.
I find myself watching more “Nollywood” movies made in Nigeria. Some are actually very good and I love the inherent blackness of it all. They are a lot more conservative with their themes and how they display women. You will rarely see nudity or over the top violence. That’s actually refreshing sometimes. I mentioned it before but I find myself seeing Africa as source for many of the things Lacking in America. You definitely will not find an agenda to feminize or make the black man the weak gender in black male female relationships.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:

Conversely I see less media images of black men in interracial relationships. Though there does seem to always be a need to portray black men as gay in a lot of TV shows, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be gay. One of the reasons I couldn't watch Brooklyn Nine Nine was because they had a strong police sergeant. Seemed wise and capable and intelligent. But he had to basically be gay. Even if him being gay had little or nothing to do with his personality. It's like the media is scared to show a competent black male figure or a black family.
There are gay black men in real life who want to see themselves on TV.

Also, being wise and or capable and intelligent has nothing to do with sexuality. Gay men can and are all of those things.

Quote:
Even if him being gay had little or nothing to do with his personality.
Thats actually the point. One does not have to be stereotypical gay, and a person being gay doesnt have to be the main point of their storyline to have a gay character.

Just like every story about a black character doesnt have to be about racism.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is too much I don't know about the real practice of Hollywood casting to have an intelligent opinion.

We're talking, for the most part, about B-level actors. I don't know whether there tends to be a difference in professionalism between British black B-level actors and African-American B-level actors. I do know that broadly speaking, the black British B-level actors tend to be professionally trained and significantly experienced, which probably matters.

I do know that such things as always showing up on time, ready to work, knowing your lines is a big deal...but I don't know if that is a categorical difference between them.

As I look into this a bit more, it appears that imported British Commonwealth actors don't have to be paid at SAG rates (apparently there is a deal between the Commonwealth actors' unions and the SAG).

So Hollywood can apparently get A-level British actors cheaper than A-level American actors, if this information is accurate.

There are really a lot more white actors affected than black actors. It is more apparent to us with black actors because we're paying it more attention and there are so few A-level roles available for black actors that the effect is disproportionate. But when you start looking at it, there are a heck of a lot of white British, Canadian, and Australian actors barging in on Hollywood.

So the "Brits are cheaper" argument sounds rather logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies