Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In the 60's and early 70's, when the "Black Power" movement was in full effect.....a counter culture hippie movement was taking place among segments of the white population. It was characterized by "free love" and sexual revolution. This maybe where some of the perception of freaky white folks came from. It was a highly talked about and written about era, culminating in "Woodstock". White folks running around naked, having sex in public parks and places, sexing people you just met, LSD and all that. I came of age (youth) right when that era was ending and there were a lot of perceptions about white women that come from that era and movement.
More on this:

https://www.hipplanet.com/hip/a-trip...al-revolution/

Old 01-17-2020, 10:08 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's pretty much the goofiest post you've ever posted.
It doesn't matter because reparations will never happen... because the minute reparations are paid, then it can no longer be used for political leverage to get the black vote out.

There was a two year window with a black president and a Democrat Congress... reparations didn't happen... it wasn't even seriously considered.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
In regards to what you quoted from Jen in the Blue....it can't be proven either way. The thing about living in the global west is that we get taught all about the history of the West, which is essentially white history. The sexual activity of the "west" is well noted historically. What is not so well known or noted is the sexual behavior of Africa and Africans. It is certainly not as well known and studied as is the history of the west. Where we may diverge is that I do not necissarily take the account of white explorers and crusaders/converters as the definite truth of black Africa....given their historically known biases and views on blacks as inferior. This is why you never really hear me jumping on the "Human life started in Africa" and other stuff from white science sources. How would I know if its true or not? I will NEVER know. All I can do is trust and have faith. That is essentially what is happening when we accept another humans account of something we have not personally experienced or were there to prove. Its FAITH and TRUST in the source. That is what people of religion do. Its just faith and trust in what someone else has said. I am a Christian, but not deeply religious. I don't trust everything as not having been manipulated in translation to serve the purpose of kings and rulers. Hence, my perception on what is African is the differential in behaviors between European and Africans that exist today as a collective norm.

My thing is this. People like Jen will jump to say that there is no cultural or racial reason for blacks and whites to be any different sexually in what they practice and that we are all basically the same. Where is that logic when the topic is out of wedlock births, I ask? Where is that logic when the topic is violent crime, I ask? How can there be variation in black behavior (crime...out of wedlock births..etc), to degrees, that are implied to be rooted in culture and or race, but then saying that there is no cultural or racial reason that blacks would be less freaky than whites sexually? Either culture and or race can make you behave differently in all aspects of life or it can't in any aspect of behavioral life, excluding instinctive human behavior.

It has been my experience, and again the disclaimer that what is true of my experiences cannot be assumed to be true as the general experience, that anytime white folks get labeled as being the WORSE morally or intellectually....and there is evidence to that end, that white folks will immediately try to NORMALIZE it as human. Ergo, blacks are just as racist as whites....and always have been. White will not accept the label as the "racist race". They REJECT the thought completely. They reject the label as the "sexually freaky" race. Everyone is racist and everyone is freaky. Why is that? It is because those are seen as negative and they appear INFERIOR when they are supposed to be the SUPERIOR race. Note the lack of problem they have in seeing blacks as VIOLENT. Note the lack or problem they have in seeing blacks as the "irresponsible race" or seeing blacks as the "Poor choice making race" or seeing blacks as the "not taking care of their kids race"....this, despite the FACT that whites are guilty of violent crime, being irresponsible and not taking care of their kids too. There is no effort made to NORMALIZE inferior perceptions of blacks. Indeed, the opposite is true. Blacks are DE-NORMALIZED implicitly because in doing so the corollary raises whites as SUPERIOR over blacks.

Jen can talk all she wants about how she is this neutral thinking person....but I have read enough of her comments to know that is BS. Every time a point is made or claimed.....blacks do it too. It says nothing to say that another group does something to. No one is saying that a behavior is EXCLUSIVE to a certain race of people and ONLY if a claim of exclusivity is made.....does pointing out that it happens in another group to matter. Micheal Jordan was a basketball player. I played basketball too....does that mean that I was as good of a basketball player as Micheal Jordan? Pointing out examples of the other side doing something leaves out a whole lot. Simply saying that we both played basketball equalizes something that is not equal.
ITA with you in regards to the green comments.

On the blue I also agree with you and will just note that my own view of sexual behavior is, like yours, my own personal view. I don't think, for instance, that cunilingus is something that white people started. There are statues of it from a thousand years ago in southern India and those people were not white/European.

I agree that there is not enough evidence to substantiate anyone's sexual behaviors and I also don't believe that all white historians and sources of Europeans are 100% true or state everything that happened in a particular era (not sure why you would think I do, I specifically noted earlier that I don't agree with everything written in the records and that one has to consider who wrote it and the circumstances of that information - however, I'm also not one to 100% discount learning from those records from multiple perspectives. The Europeans writings about homosexuality in Africa and Americas in particular, by priests, often displays their own prejudices about certain sexual behavior and cultural practices of the people they are trying to control, so I do consider that as clues and evidence of what they felt about the topics they wrote about in relation to the populations they were trying to control - but I don't believe that they knew anything of great substance about the cultures that they were attempting to conquer and convert).

On the black, I also agree. My personal view noted above is based upon the fact that humanity is 40,000+ years old in regards to homosapiens. We have had sex for tens of thousands of years. People, by nature, like to be pleased/pleasured and will find ways to experience greater pleasure in a variety of ways, including sexually. IMO it seems you are apt to believe that missionary was all that black people did until the white folks came and perverted us into oral and anal sex and homosexuality, and honestly that is kind of ridiculous for me to even seriously consider. I don't believe that oral sex wasn't happening in Africa or Asia or the Americas before Europeans arrived. To me that also speaks to the idea that Africans are somewhat inferior in our creativity in regards to seeking pleasurable experiences. Nothing is new under the sun in the sexual realm. You or other black men not wanting to engage in certain common sexual activities in regards to oral sex is kind of odd. I've never run into a black man who didn't. I have a lot of older men in my family and I've heard almost all of them speak of it.

Now the running around naked pics you posted of Woodstock and such, I do agree that that was unique here in America and something the hippie white kids did that did make the "reputation" of white women suffer in black America. But the idea that black people were not engaging in certain sexual acts is not something that can be validated in regards to culture especially. It is a similar idea to what you mentioned above in regards to the blue. There is not evidence of what black men and women did in bed in the 18th and 19th centuries together because nothing was written about it. As I noted earlier, IMO the main difference between then and now culturally for us is back in the day, we didn't speak our sexual business and honestly most white people didn't either IMO though they were much more apt to do so.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It doesn't matter because reparations will never happen... because the minute reparations are paid, then it can no longer be used for political leverage to get the black vote out.

There was a two year window with a black president and a Democrat Congress... reparations didn't happen... it wasn't even seriously considered.
When has it been used in the past as political leverage?

Old 01-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Yes...we have agreed to disagree about culture. Everyone has culture so I never implied that black people do not have a culture. In America, black peoples culture is a mutation of white culture in America, in my opinion. It's NOT African in structure but African in expression. We express white culture...but in a somewhat African way.

Like you, I found that his video speaks very much like the African American family of the 60's. It's a very strict
In regards to the black, I understand your opinion as we've discussed this before here.

I noted we have a difference of opinion. I don't place whiteness at the center of everything that black Americans have done or do in regards to our culture and IMO many people, and this, perhaps, includes yourself, choose to do just that.

Our ancestors were not from one single, specific African culture that they "lost" during the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade. So when people say we "lost" our culture (which I believe you other posters stated in this thread and which a lot of black Americans state all the time) it is kind of false considering Africans from all over the continent were thrown together in the Americas. Their cultures melted together and they formed communities based on their shared identity to blackness/African-ness. Due to close interactions with other groups, they included aspects of the conquerors and colonizers in their cultural practices (namely Spanish, French, British, and Dutch initially who were the main European immigrants to this land) but only those they wanted to include (and not all these were positive). They also melted together with various indigenous Americans (natives were held as slaves and had children with African enslaved servants and slaves). African Americans in the earliest part of this nation, and especially from around the Revolution forward had an "underground" culture of sorts that whites were not given access to. Various parts of our heritage reflect this duality in that we were not the same around white people in mannerisms/behavior/etc like we were/are around black people. That duality was a necessity to protect ourselves/families/communities and cultural practices from the threat of the white slave owners and authoritarians, but our culture is not based even primarily on white/European culture. I disagree that it is not African in "structure" and would ask you what specific African culture are you speaking of and what, to you, is a cultural structure? How are these African cultures you are speaking of structured in any different way versus African American cultures? IMO all cultures are structurally the same - they are based around specific institutions and aspects of society that are important to that group of people (can be a number of things - family, religiosity/faith/spirituality, money, labor, etc). So what do you feel "African culture" is centered on. African American culture, I know is centered on family/community. I know this because historically our first and continued institutions and organizations were/are centered on improving our families/communities as a collective. Institutions created by a culture are a reflection of that culture's structure and what it values. Benevolence/fraternal societies and churches were African American's first cultural institutions. Both of these institutions were founded in order to specifically assist African American families and communities.

This conversation, sadly reminds of how African Americans today like to claim that Africans are superior to us culturally. Many seek to "connect" to Africa because they personally feel "lost" and feel that we as a people are "lost." You are only lost IMO if you don't know about our own culture. I've had people, my own people, try to tell me how much I am hurt and lost due to not knowing my "African culture" and I tell them like I'm telling you, I do not feel a loss or any hurt because I am knowledgeable about my people and I value my culture and heritage in this land.

It is disrespectful to me to not fully embrace my lineage and heritage and place people on the African continent as some sort of healing balm, when many of these cultures being revered and African Americans want to reconnect with, were directly involved in the slave trade. Slavery itself is a cultural tradition in every corner of the African continent related to commerce/trade. Very well known African Americans in history, in their arguments against "going back to Africa" by way of the American Colonization Society in the 19th century spoke of this very subject - that going to Liberia was no better than being in America since the people there were just as bad as whites when it came to enslaving our ancestors. So I don't have any sense of loss like many African Americans have and I don't feel that Africa as a whole was some sort of garden of eden and everyone was hunky dory until the Europeans came like lots of our people like to fantasize about. All people are prone to enslaving others, to greed, to materialism, and to engaging in oral sex and other so-called "sexual perversions." And to me thinking that that is not the case is just not rooted in the reality of the human experience.

So the perspective on how our culture was created and has evolved over time, is what I feel our major personal opinions differ in regards to.

And please note anytime a black person speaks of the truths of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade people seem to assume I have some sort of ill will towards Africans when I don't. Things happen and nothing can change it. As noted, I don't feel a loss at all. I am grateful for the history, experiences, heritage that was created here as a result of the slave trade in a way. I would not be who I am without it and so I have no negative views of Africans. I also enjoy seeing how even after hundreds of years that aspects of West African language, music, dance, parenting, and other day to day social experiences have survived in the African Diaspora throughout the Americas (not just in America and I'll note there are various cultures of primarily African descent in the Americas - African Americans are one of many in this hemisphere).

Old 01-17-2020, 11:45 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
When has it been used in the past as political leverage?
Politicians bring it up when there are elections at hand, or if they need to refocus their supporters (that focus on race) from time to time.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Politicians bring it up when there are elections at hand, or if they need to refocus their supporters (that focus on race) from time to time.
Like when? Give me an example of when this was used.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
I haven't heard anyone talk about reparations as much except with the millenials. Sure every generation would complain that nothing was done, but not a lot of yelling about them either. Yet I feel young black people today have it the easiest put of any generation yet they're the main ones calling for them. Black millenials deal with absolutely nothing, and have the path of least resistance towards wealth and opportunity. But because millenials are more entitled, they're also the generation to focus on them more.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
That women in no way implied that she believed that only black folks steal. Where do you come up with this malarkey?

You are just trying to find ways to discredit the underlying premise of what these social experiments reveal about racism. Again, you don't want to accept it. You are looking for ways, in every video presented, to caste aspersion and discredit it.

These videos reveals something that I have expected for a while now. Many racist wait for COVER before they show their racism. Racist don't want to be seen as racist. Racist do not want to see themselves as racist. Yet, they ARE. Thus, what they do is wait until they seeming have justification for reacting negatively towards black people. Hence, you cannot detect the racism unless you see how they react to white people in a similar situation, which one can almost NEVER witness....unless social experiments are conducted.

Its like when I read crime stories in the local news and then read the comments from the public. When its a black criminal doing something....there are all kinds of assumptions being made about the parents, about their employment status and terms like "animals", "thugs",
LOL. There has been one video presented. I said I agreed with the premise, (I said that more than once) but didn't feel that particular video did a great job. She said 'Young white men don't usually carry around burglary tools' which I thought was ridiculous.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I haven't heard anyone talk about reparations as much except with the millenials. Sure every generation would complain that nothing was done, but not a lot of yelling about them either. Yet I feel young black people today have it the easiest put of any generation yet they're the main ones calling for them. Black millennials deal with absolutely nothing, and have the path of least resistance towards wealth and opportunity. But because millennials are more entitled, they're also the generation to focus on them more.
I honestly agree in part with this.

It does seem to me that many black millennials are very into complaining and acting like they have it very bad when they really don't. I am a young Gen X-er and most of my close friends and family are older millennials and they complain too about a lot of stuff that honestly is not unique only to them. They also seem to worry themselves to mental issues over things that are out of their control so there is no reason to focus on it - like making white people "anti-racist" and complaining all the time about "micro-aggression" in regards to race. Racial stuff is always going to exist for us, you should just learn how to deal with it and realize that it is the other person's issues and not your own.

IMO as African Americans the young Gen Xers and Millennial are the most free generation America has ever produced. We also are highly educated, well paid, and go-getters and often the people who complain the most about reparations typically are not that bad off.

But I get the passion. I just think that that ship has passed. Nothing bad about making the claim for it though and keeping it in the spotlight but a lot of the conversations around it comes off like a lot of black people see themselves as perpetual victims of white people and them being powerless to do anything to fix their financial problems without government helping them.

And note, I'm not like the poster I quoted in that I honestly despise libertarianism in a way lol -mostly because it is pretty naive when it comes to social issues. But at this juncture in America if the Millenial and younger generations want to build wealth they can. They don't need the government to give them anything. As noted, nothing wrong with advocating for something, but in the interim get your ish together financially cause it is highly doubtful you'll ever get any reparations at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies