Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
A lot of older folks seem to do the generational thing. I don't get it. We're all people and it's stereotyping when one paints a whole group of people as one way. 49 year old "Gen Xer" here. I have never cared about the generational thing. Even less as I inch toward AARP age
Well, to be fair, the trending stereotype of the moment is "ok boomer"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,216,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm a millennial, and that definitely wasn't the case at my schools. Teachers publicly posted grades by the classroom door listing the students by name and their grades, from top grade to bottom. I've also seen lots of teachers and coaches scream at other students for being failures or calling everyone in the class worthless losers. There were no participation trophies, only the threat of running laps or dropping and giving coaches 50 pushups + plenty of verbal abuse if you didn't win.
Thank you. Millennial here as well. I certainly don't remember all the participation trophies. Heck, at my schools if you acted like some of these stereotypes that they have foisted on millennials, you would definitely get messed with. I also went into the trades and started my career in 2008, then I was promptly laid off in 2009 due to my employer losing a lot of larger commercial accounts that we had (hollywood video, bed bath and beyond, wachovia...remember them). I'm not saying this as a woe is me, but I definitely took a hit career wise and in the past few years just started to get back on track with my growth trajector; it's very fortunate that I was able to get back on track.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:05 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Thank you. Millennial here as well. I certainly don't remember all the participation trophies. Heck, at my schools if you acted like some of these stereotypes that they have foisted on millennials, you would definitely get messed with. I also went into the trades and started my career in 2008, then I was promptly laid off in 2009 due to my employer losing a lot of larger commercial accounts that we had (hollywood video, bed bath and beyond, wachovia...remember them). I'm not saying this as a woe is me, but I definitely took a hit career wise and in the past few years just started to get back on track with my growth trajector; it's very fortunate that I was able to get back on track.
Bed Bath and Beyond is still around all over the NYC area. My wife goes there all the time.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
lol ...you guys just keep on assigning everyone, at every age, a generational nickname. Sure simplifies divisiveness and anger to the suffering masses. I find it highly amusing.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
lol ...you guys just keep on assigning everyone, at every age, a generational nickname. Sure simplifies divisiveness and anger to the suffering masses. I find it highly amusing.
Exactly. In the end, the average boomer and the average millennial has much more in common with each other than either of them with a Walton or Cargill of any age.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
my GenZ son says his is the most conservative generation since before the boomers. without all the bad habits.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I've heard a lot of people call us Generation Zs "snowflakes" and other names.

Well...all generations has its pros and cons, but we have a lot of pros!

Generation Z tends to be very fiscally responsible, emotionally intelligent, hard working, good at multitasking, and entrepreneurial.

I have a strong work ethic and have worked the legal max hours for a person my age from age 15. I am very caring and do tons of community service. I crave being responsible. I know many great people around my age that have so many talents and skills.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the...of-generationz

https://www.inc.com/peter-economy/5-...eration-z.html

P.S. Generation Z is born from the years 1995 to 2010.
Gen Z'rs I have run across, are rebellious as hell, for all authority. Watchout trying to think for them. As they age, they are going to be more Libertarian than anything today. The days of don't tread on me will return, by the time they are 30 years old.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,216,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Bed Bath and Beyond is still around all over the NYC area. My wife goes there all the time.
That's awesome, however, the company I worked for suffered due to loosing these contracts. Some of the Bed Bath and Beyonds in my area went out of business. I didn't mean to phrase it in a way that Bed Bath and Beyond went out of business as a whole.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Thank you. Millennial here as well. I certainly don't remember all the participation trophies. Heck, at my schools if you acted like some of these stereotypes that they have foisted on millennials, you would definitely get messed with. I also went into the trades and started my career in 2008, then I was promptly laid off in 2009 due to my employer losing a lot of larger commercial accounts that we had (hollywood video, bed bath and beyond, wachovia...remember them). I'm not saying this as a woe is me, but I definitely took a hit career wise and in the past few years just started to get back on track with my growth trajectory; it's very fortunate that I was able to get back on track.
Some of that depends on where you were. I coached soccer for all 3 of my millennial kids at one time or another in California and yes, everyone got a participation trophy, then the same here in WA. My oldest got a great job after college and was due to start the Monday after 9/11. That afternoon she got a call, position cancelled. Fortunately she ended up even better off but it took a few months.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Kind of silly to use a broad brush to paint characteristics of any generation, let alone the largest, Gen Z, with 91 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies