Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans are theocratic, not democratic.

only the religious right can truly be called that and i sympathize with fiscal conservatives the religious right has captured the party just as Goldwater predicted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans are theocratic, not democratic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
only the religious right can truly be called that and i sympathize with fiscal conservatives the religious right has captured the party just as Goldwater predicted
Spot on comment.

The evangelical/fundamentalist protestant Christians have got the party by the short hairs.

Fiscal conservatives need not even be religious at all, so much the less protestant Christians. Some fiscal conservatives are Muslim, some are Jewish and some are atheists. These people are not expecting a 'rapture' and don't particularly want a middle eastern Armageddon which would satisfy no one except some confused Christian heretics. Fiscal conservatives are getting sick and tired of the Christian conservative lunacy.

So the religious right has saddled the nation with a corrupt, and basically incompetent president who sells us out every day in multiple ways. The Republican party has deteriorated into a pale reflection of it's former existence. A party which has lost a sense of itself.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:39 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
On fiscal issues, I'm somewhat of a centrist. I'm also a centrist on immigration. However, I could NEVER consider voting for a Republican though as long as they continue to be the party that wants to control what I do with my body and who I can love. I can NEVER vote for a party based on the ideology that only people who conform to a narrow, rigid set of social norms are "real Americans."

Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Republicans have a democratic process to elect the people that represent their party.
Are they also the Democratic Party based upon actions taken in the democratic process?????

What is up with this altering the meaning of language?
I hear and read all the time when referring to the Democrat Party, The person speaking or writing, refers to them as the Democratic Party.

Is the intent to confuse the ignorant?
Or is the person speaking ignorant?
When calling the democrat party is leaving off the ic because many people today believe the are not democratic at all. Just democrats .. democratic which means FOR THE PEOPLE.

The democrats are in the resistance mode to not get things done for WE THE PEOPLE. They are working for their power only . Example. USMCA not passed for the people . they resist .. they don't want to work for the people as long as Trump is in office. A very undemocratic thing to do.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:13 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
When calling the democrat party is leaving off the ic because many people today believe the are not democratic at all. Just democrats .. democratic which means FOR THE PEOPLE.

The democrats are in the resistance mode to not get things done for WE THE PEOPLE. They are working for their power only . Example. USMCA not passed for the people . they resist .. they don't want to work for the people as long as Trump is in office. A very undemocratic thing to do.
Um, OK.

Doesn't change the fact that the legal, official name of the party in question is The Democratic Party.

No one minds being called Democrats. The website name is www.democrats.org.

BTW, the website for the Republican Party is www.gop.org. Does it bother you that Republicans are called the GOP?

Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
We're continually told by some people in this forum - usually the right wingers - that the US isn't a democracy, but a republic.

So why the objection to democrats being called the democratic party? Why is there a need for republicans to claim something they don't think applies to the US?
OMG, talk about confusion.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:33 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um, OK.

Doesn't change the fact that the legal, official name of the party in question is The Democratic Party.

No one minds being called Democrats. The website name is www.democrats.org.

BTW, the website for the Republican Party is www.gop.org. Does it bother you that Republicans are called the GOP?
GOP Grand Old Party. It is a moniker for the party. I just call them the RepubliCAN'Ts, because they just CAN'T seem to do anything. It is all talk and very little action from them.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:05 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Republicans have a democratic process to elect the people that represent their party.
Are they also the Democratic Party based upon actions taken in the democratic process?????

What is up with this altering the meaning of language?
I hear and read all the time when referring to the Democrat Party, The person speaking or writing, refers to them as the Democratic Party.

Is the intent to confuse the ignorant?
Or is the person speaking ignorant?
The official name of the political party is The Democratic Party. It was organized under that name officially, and that's what will appear on any or all official documents, including our ballots, how the members are called in our government, and everything else.

The name could have been 'The Democrat's Party" or "The Democratic Republican Party" or some other name. When the party, the oldest in our system, re-organized after the Civil War, it changed names. Earlier, the same party had different names, but the word "democratic" was in all of them.

By a fluke of language, a member of the party is called a Democrat. But the word indicates that's a single member. As a group, they are all Democratic, as that's their party's name.

A member of the Republican party cannot be called a Republic singularly, as Republic has a different meaning in our language. So The Republican Party is used for both the party's name and it's members, jointly or individually. Another language fluke.

So when someone calls the Democratic Party the Democrat Party, they're showing an ignorance of our language.
That's all any name altering amounts to.

If the entire party consisted of only one person, then it would be The Democrat Party. Or properly, The Democrat's Party. But since there is more than one person in it, the only proper use of the word Democrat is when describing a single member.

Any other use is as stupid as calling a single Republican a Republic.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
There is no difference between the two teams.

They rape, rob, and kill with impunity.

And over 99% of the population approve of the agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies