Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 11:47 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,542,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
1. You must have some massive solar panels.

2. How much did you pay for the panels and installation?
How many tanks of gas in a fuel efficient car could you have bought with the money you spent on the solar set up? At what point do you "break even" and actually begin to have "free" juice?

3. How do you think the government is going to replace the tax revenue if everyone did what you're doing?.
>>> 1. You must have some massive solar panels.

No, just about 20 panels. However, we overbuilt the solar system for some excess production. Also, we have no central A/C. The excess production is really cheap. We were going to use it for central A/C. But decided against the central A/C and bought a simple grocery-getter EV: Chevy Bolt. It's turned into my primary vehicle. The Bolt is pure EV. The Volt (now defunct) was a hybrid.

>>> 2. How much did you pay for the panels and installation? How many tanks of gas in a fuel efficient car could you have bought with the money you spent on the solar set up? At what point do you "break even" and actually begin to have "free" juice?

$17,000 without all the rebates. I had my roofer do it. He wanted a 'showcase customer' for competitive purposes. I get maybe one phone call a month from one of his potential solar buyers. Electricity here in San Diego is very expensive. My payback will be about 4-5 years. Have done no detailed comparison to an ICE car. It would be a fairly complicated comparison since maintenance on an EV is fairly minimal but an EV costs more to buy.

>>> 3. How do you think the government is going to replace the tax revenue if everyone did what you're doing?.

I don't worry about taxes in CA. We are taxed to death and I pay more every year. CA will find some way to get me. Maybe a mileage meter. Almost left SD a few times for greener pastures: AZ or NV. Eventually all Federal and State rebates will go away

Not sure where you live but we have an EV Car Club here in San Diego. I learned everything I know from them.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
His comment section vendor stopped service near the same timeframe as at least 16 other companies including Apple and YouTube coincidentally announced discontinuity--on 8/6 (as in to 'eighty-six'), 2018. YouTube pulled Binney interviews--everything. Ron Gibson's diligently assembled archives, all of it.

You couldn't tell what you're talking about now if you tried. That's political censorship.

He is still broadcasting, more popular and influential, and networked in, than ever. And you can do some research on https://banned.video
Yeah, but we had an inforwars addict that posted here for a long time and started lots of threads about it.

That's how we got all the gems about the Iowa nuclear meltdown, the DC underground nuke test and other gems insinuating catastrophe to move products to the loyal. Buy your radiation preparedness kit NOW!

AJ sure knows how to coincide his latest scare with his advertisers products.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,322,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wonder how much a battery fluid change costs ? And it is suggested every 50k miles...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/atta...14-jpg.289511/
That is not the current recommendation - recommendation now is never needs changing. They found that they were too conservative, it was not needed. The cost to do it was about same as changing engine coolant.

From the current Owners Manual for Model S, (Model X and 3 are essentially same as this except A/C desiccant replaced every 4 years) https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...rica_en_us.pdf page 166
Quote:
Service Intervals
Your vehicle should generally be serviced on an as-needed basis. However, Tesla recommends the following maintenance items and intervals, as applicable to your vehicle, to ensure continued reliability and efficiency of your Model S.
• Brake fluid health check every 2 years (replace if necessary)
• A/C desiccant bag replacement every 2 years
• Cabin air filter replacement every 2 years
• HEPA filter replacement every 3 years
• Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (if in an area where roads are salted during the Winter)
• Rotate tires every 10,000-12,000 miles (16,000-20,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater )

Fluid Replacement Intervals
Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances. Brake fluid should be checked every 2 years, replacing if necessary
I had a Model S for 3 years and 45K miles, only service was rotated and replaced tires.

Last edited by ddeemo; 12-03-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 11:55 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,652,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
>>> 1. You must have some massive solar panels.

No, just about 20 panels. However, we overbuilt the solar system for some excess production. Also, we have no central A/C. The excess production is really cheap. We were going to use it for central A/C. But decided against the central A/C and bought a simple grocery-getter EV: Chevy Bolt. It's turned into my primary vehicle. The Bolt is pure EV. The Volt (now defunct) was a hybrid.

>>> 2. How much did you pay for the panels and installation? How many tanks of gas in a fuel efficient car could you have bought with the money you spent on the solar set up? At what point do you "break even" and actually begin to have "free" juice?

$17,000 without all the rebates. I had my roofer do it. He wanted a 'showcase customer' for competitive purposes. I get maybe one phone call a month from one of his potential solar buyers. Electricity here in San Diego is very expensive. My payback will be about 4-5 years. Have done no detailed comparison to an ICE car. It would be a fairly complicated comparison since maintenance on an EV is fairly minimal but an EV costs more to buy.

>>> 3. How do you think the government is going to replace the tax revenue if everyone did what you're doing?.

I don't worry about taxes in CA. We are taxed to death and I pay more every year. CA will find some way to get me. Maybe a mileage meter. Almost left SD a few times for greener pastures: AZ or NV. Eventually all Federal and State rebates will go away

Not sure where you live but we have an EV Car Club here in San Diego. I learned everything I know from them.
Interesting info, thanks for posting it.

Do you have a battery back-up system?

Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 AM

2,495 posts, read 860,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, but we had an inforwars addict that posted here for a long time and started lots of threads about it.

That's how we got all the gems about the Iowa nuclear meltdown, the DC underground nuke test and other gems insinuating catastrophe to move products to the loyal. Buy your radiation preparedness kit NOW!

AJ sure knows how to coincide his latest scare with his advertisers products.
Links?

Because Jones never said that.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:59 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,491,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Electric cars are the future. So you may as well get used to it. I don't understand why anyone would be against them in the first place. We have a Volt which kicks over to gas if need be. But it hardly ever does because we just plug it in the garage, no special equipment needed. The problem with all electric right now is there aren't enough charging stations especially at airports. That will change though as they become the norm.
I want an EV one day; however, no industry should be subsidized, including oil companies.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:37 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,978,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
There's also a lot of mountains in California, and its cold at altitude and at nights.
I just "unstuck" a Tesla in my driveway over Thanksgiving.

The thing was absolutely worthless in the snow. I really thought that with the weight of the batteries it would have better traction.

The folks drove the "long way" around to avoid driving in snow for most of the trip. They almost ran out of electricity, but it did go almost 200 miles.

It is definitely a city car.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,740,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Electric cars are the future. So you may as well get used to it. I don't understand why anyone would be against them in the first place. We have a Volt which kicks over to gas if need be. But it hardly ever does because we just plug it in the garage, no special equipment needed. The problem with all electric right now is there aren't enough charging stations especially at airports. That will change though as they become the norm.
I am not against EVs but there are better ways to have clean cars and I question why the push is to batteries rather than, for instance, hydrogen.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:07 PM

29,030 posts, read 14,371,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
That is not the current recommendation - recommendation now is never needs changing. They found that they were too conservative, it was not needed. The cost to do it was about same as changing engine coolant.

From the current Owners Manual for Model S, (Model X and 3 are essentially same as this except A/C desiccant replaced every 4 years) https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...rica_en_us.pdf page 166

I had a Model S for 3 years and 45K miles, only service was rotated and replaced tires.
Good to hear, it seemed a little excessive.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM

4,337 posts, read 1,536,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, buddy. You're right, no innovation beyond your gas powered car is possible because Infowars tells you so.
I've always found that playing the Infowars card is the last resort of those with no real arguments to make. It's lame in the extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies