Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 03:00 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
So would I. Most public charging stations are empty. Let's keep it that way.

On the other hand, CA has instituted a mandatory rooftop solar program. In CA, all new housing built in 2020 and beyond must have enough rooftop solar power to cover the electric needs of the house. No rooftop solar power system, no occupancy permit.
I think this would be enough...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/25/...-version-three

Old 12-04-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You know that they won't want people driving electric cars any more than they will gasoline powered cars. They'll want everybody on public transportation.
Nonsense....Who might "they" be?

Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Total waste. We have plenty of oil . Having an electric car is just a pain if you can't find a place to charge the batteries.. what a huge hindrance. You are stuck!!

Old 12-04-2019, 06:36 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Total waste. We have plenty of oil . Having an electric car is just a pain if you can't find a place to charge the batteries.. what a huge hindrance. You are stuck!!
Having a gasoline car is just a pain if you cna't find a place to get gasoline....what a huge hinderance. You are stuck!!

You know, as opposed to an electric vehicle that can be charged at home.

Talking about having or not having abundant supplies of oil and the environmental nonsense have nothing at all to do with the reasons why electric vehicles are the future and are/will be superior to gasoline/diesel vehicles.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Actually having one electric and one ICE car is a better solution than 2 electric or 2 ICE cars because you can go regardless of if there's a Middle East War disrupting the supply of oil or electric off or not available.

For those that think they don't want an electric car, take a drive in a Model 3 Performance....fantastic car and I think more fun and better than my 2 series BMW which is also a fun car.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Actually having one electric and one ICE car is a better solution than 2 electric or 2 ICE cars because you can go regardless of if there's a Middle East War disrupting the supply of oil or electric off or not available.

For those that think they don't want an electric car, take a drive in a Model 3 Performance....fantastic car and I think more fun and better than my 2 series BMW which is also a fun car.
So many people posting don't consider that most folks have 2 cars already. And the advantages of having both varieties as you mention.

If I lived in a big city with a longer commute, I'd be in an EV in a heart beat. But I won't be giving up my ICE SUV for long distance/ski trips anytime soon.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
So many people posting don't consider that most folks have 2 cars already. And the advantages of having both varieties as you mention.

If I lived in a big city with a longer commute, I'd be in an EV in a heart beat. But I won't be giving up my ICE SUV for long distance/ski trips anytime soon.
We keep 3 cars for 2 drivers...it's a 1st world problem to have to deal with which cars to choose from. I believe EV's are the future but it's going to take a while.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I really wanted that roof. But:
1. It's very expensive. About 3X panel prices.
2. The average (read low-priced) roof or solar guy can't maintain it.
3. You can't walk on it. We sit on our roof to watch fireworks.

Although I don't walk on my roof often, my drain vents, hot air fans, and chimney need occasional maintenance. Roof maintenance guys are pretty cheap. I couldn't imagine what Tesla would charge to fix a drain vent.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
There are lots of charging stations, and they are easy to find..

These are just the Tesla stations.... https://www.google.com/search?q=ev+c...0V4_zkiSGcK-wM

Old 12-05-2019, 06:30 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I really wanted that roof. But:
1. It's very expensive. About 3X panel prices.
2. The average (read low-priced) roof or solar guy can't maintain it.
3. You can't walk on it. We sit on our roof to watch fireworks.

Although I don't walk on my roof often, my drain vents, hot air fans, and chimney need occasional maintenance. Roof maintenance guys are pretty cheap. I couldn't imagine what Tesla would charge to fix a drain vent.
We and many of our neighbors have clay tiled roofs, relatively fragile. The roofers simply lay plywood down to spread their weight when necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies