Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

I've probably got 25-30 more driving years ahead of me I'll probably never own an EV, maybe if I have no choice towards the end there, and by then, hopefully, there will be something in place that works well.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Perhaps its already been brought up in this discussion but how is an EV going to have any value a few years down the road when the owner has to incur a substantial cost to replace the battery & pay to dispose of the old one?

When the batteries are good for 1,000 miles on a charge and will last for 100,000 miles then I might be interested. I will add I am talking an F150 type pickup truck.
My sister had a Civic hybrid. Replacing the battery bank cost about $2000 IIRC. The car was nearly 10 years old.

I had a Subaru with a gas engine, had to have it rebuilt. Cost me about $3500. Car was about 15 years old.

And of course, I paid at least 3 times as much in gas as she did.

Over the life of the car, it pencils out.

Math could well be different for a pickup.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:56 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Any idea why that won't work? Too slippery?
Well, tile roofs have been around since CA became a state and probably much longer. There was a point when the solar guys would not put solar panels on tile roofs. However, after a number of years these solar guys figured out a non-destructive way to install solar panels on tile roofs.

Tesla glass roofs (which look great in pictures) are relatively new. I have not seen one on a house here in San Diego and I'm always looking. If you install one, I'm sure you'll find a talented non-Tesla roof repairman willing to walk on it but:
1. Make sure you are over-insured for property liability (first lawsuits usually cost a lot to defend and can result in mega awards)
2. Make sure the roofer is licensed, bonded, and heavily insured. Ask to see copies of all three. Verify with their agents.
3. Call Tesla and ask them how long it would take and how much it would cost to fix a cracked Tesla glass roof. Tesla does not like to produce warehouse inventory parts. You may be without a solar system and a functional roof for a long time.

I went with generic rooftop panels. Other then the ugly look, I am very satisfied with the solar panels. When I heard about the high cost and delicate maintenance of a Tesla glass roof, I passed. Btw... my Cybertruck is on order. Tesla told me I have a 2-3 year wait.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Earth to 'enviro'-gadget heads: Wishing doesn't make it as practical as liquid fuel.

https://www.infowars.com/video-tesla...tric-vehicles/
Electric vehicles are the future, so you may as well come to terms with it.

As for practicality, well...SOMEONE must disagree with you because trailer loads of sparkling new electric cars go down the freeways daily. Someone is obviously buying them.

Besides, I’m cracking up at most of the anti Electric car responses in this thread. Especially considering that the overwhelming majority of posters couldn’t afford ANY Tesla model anyway.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you hardly ever drive more than 30-40 miles? I think range-extended EVs are the only remotely practical ones. But-if you only drive such a short distance-is it worth the trouble to plug in every night and unplug every morning (hope you don't ever forget) just to save $3 or so of gas a day? To say nothing about what you pay for such a premium for the Volt in the first place. Let alone the cost of the home charging station.

I drive ~100 miles a day. My diesel Grand Cherokee gets 650 miles on a tank...and takes about 5 minutes to fuel. Oh, with no need to invest in a home charging station. Or worry about being without power once in a while.

Concerning charging stations-a fuelup at a gas pump takes what, 5 minutes? Meaning you get up to 12 customers an hour through each pump. Now-just how many do you get through a EV charging station in the same time? To have anywhere near the same throughput, your charging stations are going to have to have a lot more chargers. A lot more parking lot. A lot more room for people to sit, wait, and twiddle their thumbs waiting on a charge. Now-just what is the impact of all that extra pavement? The extra structures for the chargers? The upgrade to the electrical infrastructure to support that?
Yeah. All it takes is a war with Iran to make diesel skyrocket to a price you can no longer afford.

Times are changing. So many of you want kiosks in restaurants so they can put fast food workers outta jobs, but you wanna be Luddites on this particular topic. Fast food workers = bad. Oil companies = good.

Unbelievable.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Besides, I’m cracking up at most of the anti Electric car responses in this thread. Especially considering that the overwhelming majority of posters couldn’t afford ANY Tesla model anyway.
I put my $100 down on a base-model Cybertruck. $40k. 400-500 miles per charge. Tesla says I should hear from them in 2-3 years. I just hope the Cybertruck gets 'less ugly' in 2-3 years. I'm on board the EV train.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've probably got 25-30 more driving years ahead of me I'll probably never own an EV, maybe if I have no choice towards the end there, and by then, hopefully, there will be something in place that works well.
I said the same thing till I drove one. An EV is unbelievable. So I bought a heavily-discounted brand-new 2019 Chevy Bolt EV to see what it's like to own one. $10k tax rebates to come on my 2019 tax return.

The Bolt is now my primary around-town driver. My gearhead buds now call me Sparkie. I said "Hey Rusty... let's do a one-on-one run with your '78 Corvette. Winner takes both." He wouldn't do it.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I put my $100 down on a base-model Cybertruck. $40k. 400-500 miles per charge. Tesla says I should hear from them in 2-3 years. I just hope the Cybertruck gets 'less ugly' in 2-3 years. I'm on board the EV train.
They're saying 250+ miles on the base and 300+ on the dual motor. I don't think the Cybertruck will get less ugly because it's engineered that shape for several reasons....suggest you watch some videos on why it is shaped as it is....it's not going to change. More likely other truck makers will be forced to design their trucks similar in order to compete.

I'm thinking about ordering the dual motor Cybertruck...it is an engineering marvel.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:32 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
I said the same thing till I drove one. An EV is unbelievable. So I bought a heavily-discounted brand-new 2019 Chevy Bolt EV to see what it's like to own one. $10k tax rebates to come on my 2019 tax return.

The Bolt is now my primary around-town driver. My gearhead buds now call me Sparkie. I said "Hey Rusty... let's do a one-on-one run with your '78 Corvette. Winner takes both." He wouldn't do it.
How much did you pay for it?

Old 12-07-2019, 05:33 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:

That's the perfect way to use an EV. Around town like you're doing. Don't race anyone for several laps on a track though. You will run out of juice way before the ICE vehicle runs out of gas, plus you CAN'T REFUEL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies