Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 13,117 times

Advertisements

Open borders are a part of the libertarian agenda yet immigrants come mostly from societies where such ideologies are hated and will overwhelmingly vote against them. There isn't a single country on earth where immigrants will vote for small government policies. Open borders is the kiss of death to libertarianism yet libertarians still advocate for them lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 10:39 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattenburgers View Post
Open borders are a part of the libertarian agenda yet immigrants come mostly from societies where such ideologies are hated and will overwhelmingly vote against them. There isn't a single country on earth where immigrants will vote for small government policies. Open borders is the kiss of death to libertarianism yet libertarians still advocate for them lmao

Very valid point! I consider myself a Libertarian but open borders is something that I don't approve for various reasons.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Milton Friedman stated it best “You can have open borders or you can have a welfare state. You can’t have both. “

Many, if not most, libertarians recognize this.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Indeed.

Libertarians are in denial about a lot of things that make their ideology impractical. The fact is, libertarianism isn’t good for anyone except for the economic elites. In other words, “freedom for the cat means death for the mouse.”

Old 11-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Indeed.

Libertarians are in denial about a lot of things that make their ideology impractical. The fact is, libertarianism isn’t good for anyone except the economic elites. In other words, “freedom for the cat means death for the mouse.”
It sure would be nice for me if could bring my wife’s niece from the Philippines to help me with my severely disabled wife. If I was a member of the elite I would be able to afford hired help.

People whine about childcare costs and elder care is next on the agenda but ignore the free market solution.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:00 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
That is a blanket statement and as someone who self identifies as libertarian, I have not seen a consensus on open borders.

Myself, I object to any coercive state functions and would like to see all welfare schemes ended and geographical borders made private.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:03 AM

I only identify as libertarian because liberals stole the term liberal. Friedman never relinquished the term liberal when referring to his political and economic philosophy.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:14 AM

27 posts, read 13,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Milton Friedman stated it best “You can have open borders or you can have a welfare state. You can’t have both. “

Many, if not most, libertarians recognize this.

Welfare state has nothing to do with it. Immigrants would still vote for big government regardless of if there is welfare. Not having a welfare state also won't end immigration. Truth be told democracy doesn't really work when you factor in immigration because once society becomes ethnically diverse policies no longer matter because everybody will just vote along tribal lines. I remember reading about German foreigners with dual citizenship voting overwhelmingly for leftist parties in germany but then when they used their dual citizenship to vote in their home country's election they voted for the nationalists and conservatives. This means their decision to vote for the leftist parties in germany had nothing to do with ideology but rather they merely did not want to support the other tribe. This nonsense can't go on forever. I predict a massive civil war all over the west within 12-30 years.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Welfare state has nothing to do with it. Immigrants would still vote for big government regardless of if there is welfare. Not having a welfare state also won't end immigration. Truth be told democracy doesn't really work when you factor in immigration because once society becomes ethnically diverse policies no longer matter because everybody will just vote along tribal lines. I remember reading about German foreigners with dual citizenship voting overwhelmingly for leftist parties in germany but then when they used their dual citizenship to vote in their home country's election they voted for the nationalists and conservatives. This means their decision to vote for the leftist parties in germany had nothing to do with ideology but rather they merely did not want to support the other tribe. This nonsense can't go on forever. I predict a massive civil war all over the west within 12-30 years.
I think the quote would work better if it was: "You can have open borders or democracy, not both."

Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Without the unconstitutional decisions allowing a welfare state you can’t vote for bigger government.

Also, once again, you are not required to accept open borders to be a libertarian.

Nor do ya have to be a tyrannical ******* who won’t let my niece come to America to care for her severely disabled aunt to be a conservative.

Ain’t no civil war coming fat people don’t rebel. Just talk smack.

Within a decade elder care will be a huge political issue if you don’t embrace the libertarian solution you will be stuck with the more taxes and deficits solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies