Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 10:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
it is not really Doctors who are the issue. It's all the degrees that don't actually lead to a job with a wage that justifies the expense.
Agreed

Quote:
Although given the need for Primary Care providers a program to forgive loan debt for Doctors who spend a certain number of years as Primary Care Physicians may not actually be a bad idea. Too many how might become PC's go into Specialties for the money.
Since I'm not a Physician, it's not a good idea.
Plus it's not fair to other degreed fields and everyone else who honored their commitment and paid up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because you said so? YOU? lol

You have no proof of this. None. When you have to make things up about the other side, you've already lost.

Already addressed multiple times. That you deflect is on you.

Again one more time in hopes you get it. Private schools have students who received Federal guaranteed loans which causes tuition to rise. Please explain why this doesn't answer your initial question. I'd really like to get an answer from this. But you won't because you have no idea what you are discussing.
Until you can explain how your 401k return has nothing to do with the stock market, you have no business even continuing in this discussion. Feel free to dig yourself out of that ignorant hole.

To make it simple, "private school" does not mean private college. Now deal with the question at hand -- why have the tuitions for private schools (NOT private colleges) climbed at the same rate as college tuition when there's not federal loans or guarantees for them?

Old 12-04-2019, 11:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
I am not sure what bankruptcy protections have to do with Student Loans since you cannot Bankrupt out of them. Now perhaps we should treat them like any other loan i.e. you CAN bankrupt out of them but you also will have to qualify either you or your parents. Right now anyone can get them regardless of what they are studying. Stop the government guarantees of the loans and put banks on the hook for allowing a basket weaving major to borrow 100k.
The problem is what exactly is an underwater basket weaving major is rather nebulous and open to interpretations. It is generally humanities degrees but I've heard it include anything but STEM at times too. What is useless we can argue until the cows come Home and we can see different majors be useless at different times.

I think the biggest problem is you goto school in one economy to come out to the workforce in another. Maybe that major was needed at the time but now due to a downturn in that specific sector or the economy at large, it is not.

Using a 401k to pay off student loan debt sounds good until you have to remember we have to retire on our nestegg at some point. Unless Paul wants elderly welfare to increase, he is pushing granny off the cliff.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is what exactly is an underwater basket weaving major is rather nebulous and open to interpretations. It is generally humanities degrees but I've heard it include anything but STEM at times too. What is useless we can argue until the cows come Home and we can see different majors be useless at different times.

I think the biggest problem is you goto school in one economy to come out to the workforce in another. Maybe that major was needed at the time but now due to a downturn in that specific sector or the economy at large, it is not.

Using a 401k to pay off student loan debt sounds good until you have to remember we have to retire on our nestegg at some point. Unless Paul wants elderly welfare to increase, he is pushing granny off the cliff.
Pretty much agree until the last part. Plus, The parents can each do it for their kid.

If 5k is going to kill a retirement plan that isn't really a retirement plan now is it?

Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Until you can explain how your 401k return has nothing to do with the stock market, you have no business even continuing in this discussion.
The discussion was never about this. You made this all up and you have no proof.

Quote:
Feel free to dig yourself out of that ignorant hole.
You have no idea what the point is, that's why you made all this up.

Quote:
To make it simple, "private school" does not mean private college.
The discussion is about college tuition so yes, in this discussion, private means private college. To deflect and say otherwise is absurd.

Quote:
Now deal with the question at hand -- why have the tuitions for private schools (NOT private colleges) climbed at the same rate as college tuition when there's not federal loans or guarantees for them?
You know nothing about demand or basic economics so why deflect into that area?
Now deal with the question at hand, tuitions at all colleges have risen dramatically because of the Federal governments loan program. Nothing to do with anything else that you've made up because you don't have the knowledge to discuss the issue at hand.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:04 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What's wrong with giving someone the option if that's what they desire to do?

Thank god for America where I can spend my money and make my own decisions as an adult that are best for my situation.
Quote:
Why?
Gone are the days where you could work at a job and get a pension. A 401k is the only thing most Gen X, Z and millennials have. If they start dipping in those to put off college their retirements will take a hit.
A better way is too stop approving everyone for student loans and colleges will stop making the cost exorbitant.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
DD went to Rice. The entire tab for 4 years was the $14,000 we had saved. Twenty five years later when her kid was looking at schools, the cost was $45,000 a year. IDK what it is now.

He picked Vanderbilt. They paid for all of it plus gave him $5000 every summer for additional off campus schooling.

What's up with this tuition. It sure is not faculty pay or benefits.

These days, my kid would live at home and go to a local college. There are 6 within an hours drive.
Nice. Sounds like brains run in the family.

Administrative costs.

from 2017

In 1990, there were approximately twice as many full-time faculty at public research institutions as administrators. In 2012, the two groups were nearly equal.

During the 1980-1981 school year, public and private institutions spent $20.7 billion in total on instruction, and $13 billion on academic support, student services and institutional support combined, according to data from the National Center for Educational Statistics. By the 2014-2015 school year, total instructional costs had climbed to $148 billion, while the same grouping of administrative expenses had risen to $122.3 billion.

Put another way, administrative spending comprised just 26% of total educational spending by American colleges in 1980-1981, while instructional spending comprised 41%. Three decades later, the two categories were almost even: administrative spending made up 24% of schools’ total expenditures, while instructional spending made up 29%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolin.../#2148f938456a

Old 12-04-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
A better way is too stop approving everyone for student loans and colleges will stop making the cost exorbitant.
Agreed. That's how you solve the problem, by addressing the cause.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Nice. Sounds like brains run in the family.

Administrative costs.

from 2017

In 1990, there were approximately twice as many full-time faculty at public research institutions as administrators. In 2012, the two groups were nearly equal.

During the 1980-1981 school year, public and private institutions spent $20.7 billion in total on instruction, and $13 billion on academic support, student services and institutional support combined, according to data from the National Center for Educational Statistics. By the 2014-2015 school year, total instructional costs had climbed to $148 billion, while the same grouping of administrative expenses had risen to $122.3 billion.

Put another way, administrative spending comprised just 26% of total educational spending by American colleges in 1980-1981, while instructional spending comprised 41%. Three decades later, the two categories were almost even: administrative spending made up 24% of schools’ total expenditures, while instructional spending made up 29%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolin.../#2148f938456a
I'd vote for that. Exactly what the ISDs in the Houston area are doing. My local high school went from a principal and 2 assistants to 4 APs per grade level. Wonder what they do? From 3 to 19 is a giant leap in pay and benefits.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
The discussion was never about this. You made this all up and you have no proof.

You have no idea what the point is, that's why you made all this up.

The discussion is about college tuition so yes, in this discussion, private means private college. To deflect and say otherwise is absurd.

You know nothing about demand or basic economics so why deflect into that area?
Now deal with the question at hand, tuitions at all colleges have risen dramatically because of the Federal governments loan program. Nothing to do with anything else that you've made up because you don't have the knowledge to discuss the issue at hand.
So you replied to my point comparing a posters interest rates to historic returns on the stock market, and now you're telling me MY POINT had nothing to do w/ the stock market? Keep trying to dig yourself out.

Why would I be comparing college tuition to college tuition, when I explicitly said "Private Schools" and they don't take federal funds or guarantees? Think! And again... this was MY POINT that you replied to, and you're trying to snake your way out by telling me what I MEANT?

Again... I'm the one that posed the question and YOU responded. It's on you to deal with the question, which I've clarified multiple times to keep you from trying to snake your way out of reply. We're still waiting on your expert analysis on this for the SIXTH time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies