Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
$22 billion represents less than 0.1% of the US GDP. $582 billion represents ~2.9% of the US GDP.

Canadian exports to the US represent ~20% of the Canadian GDP.

In that arrangement, guess who holds the economic power?

Let Canada gripe all they want. As long as the relationship remains profitable to the US, which it clearly is, who cares what they have to say on the matter? The minute it looks like profitability might take a hit, remind them of who holds the power. Pretty simple really.

Not since the Roman Empire has the world had a bully like the United States. The griping of one of the kids whose milk money we steal is the buzzing of gnats.
Then why was it so hard for the USA to strike a deal with CAnada....hang on ---- if the USA is the big bad super power -- why do they even NEED a trade agreement with Canada.

You folks rant about stuff with a whole lot of emotion and nationalism but not much common sense.

Trump of all Presidents would have no agreement if the USA did not NEED an agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Instead you live in the USA and are a simpering old boob talking smack on and internet forum.

LOLOL
You can call me anything you like without incurring my wrath as long as you don’t call me a Canadian.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:13 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You can call me anything you like without incurring my wrath as long as you don’t call me a Canadian.
Can't blame you for feeling that way.

It's true that too many Canadians take great joy in pointing out the US's flaws (they're often too busy doing so to focus on Canada's shortcomings). Not to mention their hypocrisy is astounding. They complain about the US, US culture, and "American imperialism" en route to Florida for 6 months or to the local Home Depot/Walmart/McDonald's etc in the suburbs of any Canadian city, or when they turn on their favorite Netflix show, or when submitting another order to Amazon.

Frankly, Canadians like this irritate me as much as do some of the hyperactive frat boys on the other side of these kinds of "discussions" on CD, because they are every bit as oblivious. And obnoxious.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:30 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Then why was it so hard for the USA to strike a deal with CAnada....hang on ---- if the USA is the big bad super power -- why do they even NEED a trade agreement with Canada.

You folks rant about stuff with a whole lot of emotion and nationalism but not much common sense.

Trump of all Presidents would have no agreement if the USA did not NEED an agreement.
You ever actually read any of the trade agreements the US makes? They make Germany's control of the EU look benevolent. The goal of the USMCA is not to bolster our economy, make friends, or anything of the sort. It's to get Canada to cede a chunk of their sovereignty to us and make them think it's a good deal for them.

That's how ALL our trade agreements work. Again, think Germany and the EU. 500 years of warfare couldn't accomplish what simple greed and welfare state bribery could - Germany essentially controlling Europe. Cede some of your sovereignty to us, and then we'll make sure a chicken is in every pot...mostly.

Plus, getting oil imports from Canada helps us keep a boot heel on other countries use of the petrodollar. Roll that into a trade agreement that let's us destroy Canada economically if they sass off, and it's a win for the US and a win for the US, with some bonus winning for the US, while Canada gets to feel like they are getting over.

Seriously. read all the text and fine print of any US trade agreement. It's scary as hell. Maybe it's hard because Trudeau, or someone in that government, knows what I (and anyone who can read) knows.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Good for them!

Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 PM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
No one told the Canadians infiltrating Florida as they do every year. I imagine Floridians would know quickly if Canadian visitors were not coming, they are essential to the economy here, especially Ft. Lauderdale and Sarasota, FL.

This is BS

Old 12-05-2019, 01:12 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Trust me Canuck...We don’t need you!

Quote:
Our U.S. neighbours are a bit naive to think the only reasons Canadians are not crossing the border to shop is the dollar value or the border-crossing aggravations.

The day they elected Trump, I said: “I am not travelling to the U.S. for at least four years.”
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/lett...president.html
How many will stay home after their doctor tells them they need an MRI?

Old 12-05-2019, 01:23 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I moved to the USA & became an American citizen. I can vote in Canada and the USA and why wouldn't I if I can.'

If there was somewhere in Canada that had the kind of climate I could live with, I probably would move back in retirement...but reality.....I can't do winter.
That is why I retired in Victoria....I don't own a snow shovel and have no need for one. It is no Florida, but summers are dry and mild (low humidity and temperatures in my comfort zone)....Winters wetter, average temperature about 45F.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:28 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How many will stay home after their doctor tells them they need an MRI?
What you think we don't have MRIs here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies