Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these Measures Should be Considered/Enacted by a Progressive Supermajority
Banning the display of Confederate regalia as hate speech 2 11.11%
Removal of religious references from government publications (I, E: "In God We Trust" fom paper money) 5 27.78%
Open Immigration -- No restrictions beyond basic heallth and safety measures 1 5.56%
Designation of congested portions of municipalites as "auto-free" zones 1 5.56%
An additional $2/gal tax on liquid fossil fuel -- to fund expaded urban/mass trainsit and a "true" (250 MPH or better maximum) High Speed Rail network 4 22.22%
Policing of food supplies to military and other Federal istitutions, to discourage consumtion of meat, high fat, and refined sugar 0 0%
Confiscation of numerous classes, or all firearms in private hands 1 5.56%
A wealth tax levied upon all privately-held assets above a certain amount, and/or all recent innvations with a very high rate of return on investment 4 22.22%
None of the above 11 61.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,260,290 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago one of our prominent progressives posted a poll asking conservatives which of a number of measures, clearly identified as offensive to a progressive platform, should be enacted into law, including a "none of the above" option. (And BTW, my thanks to those progressves who refrained from attempting to "skew" the poll.)

Accordingly, I've developed a short list of propsals which would probably be embraced by some of our resident progressives, and would like some input from that segement of our regulars. (And while comments would be weclome, I would expect conservatives to refrain from the poll out a sense of fair play and reciprocity.)

"I disagree with (almost) everything you say, but will defend, to my death, your right to say it. (Voltaire)

A tough lesson for all of us, -- sometimes.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-04-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 11:55 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,260,290 times
Again, since most progressives refrained from Mr. bawac's poll of two weeks ago, I'm asking the conservatives to extend the same respect and restraint here.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,424,718 times
I could see #1 and #2.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:11 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,971,755 times
I wont skew your poll because most of it looks like a lot of progressive nonsense to me.

But......

"Designation of congested portions of municipalites as "auto-free" zones"

I will say of this, there was a section of Frankfurt, Germany I visited that had done the above, and it was actually kind of cool.

Ped only access for a good section of downtown, full of shops, small cloistery markets and tons of resturants. Fun Beer wagon pedal bikes with bathroom maps on a route around the area.

I liked it. It was fun.

No idea how the day to logistics were worked out without motorized vehicle access, but they seemed to make it work.

Again, I was just a visitor for a few weeks. Maybe they had some designated truck delivery hours

Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,749,975 times
#2 is the only one of these I care about. I'm a Democrat first and foremost because I support separation of church and state.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,467,378 times
My top issue (which wasn't in this obviously slanted poll) is getting single payer healthcare enacted

Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,322,310 times
Thanks for posting OP. Good to know who supports totalitarianism.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,759,241 times
I think most of the liberals i know would also say none

Old 12-04-2019, 03:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,635,235 times
On your list, I would go with banning religious references and with the wealth tax. And I would add making significant legislative progress on a health care bill and a strict law banning a president/VP and members of her/his immediate family sitting on the board of ANY public/private corporate board during the president's tenure. For 10 years after tenure, president/VP and family could only serve on the boards of a family foundation or business. These would be my top priorities.

The other items, as worded, seem a little trollish to me and show little understanding of who actual Ds are.

Other items that should be on this list, and that I would support, include marijuana legalization, a federal law upholding Roe v Wade, and stronger environmental laws.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,749,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Other items that should be on this list, but aren't, include marijuana legalization, a federal law upholding Roe v Wade, and stronger environmental laws.
I would definitely support all of those policies. Most options on the poll are fringe positions that few people actually support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies