Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM

57,247 posts, read 26,186,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
You're limiting your prospective groups. A third group could be those who took high school science and college science and then, 20 years later, looked at the updated science of ice core samples and realized that 400,000 years of ice core samples is far more valid than that of the 50 years of the sky- is- falling predictions by ill- informed scientists.

This isn't a Republican vs Democrat issue, a Chevron vs Sierra Club, or a high school education vs a college education issue. This is a fact vs hysterical fiction issue. To believe that 150 years of industry has raised temperature and CO2 levels, the likes of which the earth hasn't seen in its 5 BILLION YEAR existence, is foolishly myopic.

I will again implore you to look at the data from the Vostok ice core samples. I will even provide you two links. Please educate yourself.

The 800 year lag in CO2 after temperature – graphed « JoNova

The big picture: 65 million years of temperature swings « JoNova

There is no debate that the earth is warming. The problem with the current debate is one group believes what they see and hear from a rabid partisan media; ill informed -or worse- biased and financially dependent scientists, which leads said group to form an uneducated opinion not based in fact that humans are solely responsible for earth's warming. Another group has actually read the actual science and knows that earth has gone through dozens upon dozens of heating and cooling cycles and high and low CO2 events looooooooong before Australopithecus crawled out of the mud in eastern Africa.

3,000 years ago the Great Minoan warming period happened, 2,000 years ago the Great Roman warming period happened, and 1,000 years ago the Medieval warming period happened. All of these events saw temperatures that were 1) higher on average than they are now, 2) coincided with great advances in government, art, architecture, and science, and 3) all of these warming periods were followed by cooling periods and then another rise in temperature.

Our current warming is well within natural variation as the earth is currently exiting the Little Ice Age event that followed the Medieval warming period, and in view of the general decline in temperatures during the last half of this interglacial period, is probably beneficial for mankind and most plants and animals, not to mention innovation and science.

But listen, nothing that I say will change your mind unless you do the research on your own. Follow the links i provided, and all the links within the pages. Follow the science, the truth will set you free.
There are actually some that are still debating that it is even warming.

I understand the debate relative to the rate of warming but basic science indicates that we are the cause, is that still up for debate. So how much more time do we need to study the impact, certainly a century is a short time but how much longer do we study the problem before we take serious action.

Current warming is 1Deg C over a century, how is that a natural variation. The Milankovitch cycles are over millions of years so what exactly is the natural driver of the 1 deg C increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 05:19 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
During the Eemian interglacial period which began 130,000 years ago it was 1 degree C warmer than now, the seas were 20--30 feet higher and Miami was under water because of the ice melt of Greenland and Antarctica. So Miami and NY are good places to keep an eye on, Miami already has some severe problems and it will get worse.
South Florida sea level rise has been consistent..the rate has not increased or decreased.... since the tide gauge was installed in 1913.... 0.79 ft in 100 years...not even 1 foot in 100 years > https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

New York sea level rise has been consistent...the rate has not increased or decreased....since the tide gauge was installed in 1856..... 0.94 ft in 100 years....not even 1 foot in 100 years > https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

...global warming has had no effect on the rate of sea level rise in South Florida or New York

Old 12-05-2019, 05:54 PM

25,717 posts, read 12,793,994 times
So, let's say you believe global warming is real, and so are rising sea levels. What are you doing about it? I'm not being sarcastic, or condescending, I'm just curious what steps you are taking personally.

If they seem reasonable, I might just follow suit.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:18 PM

590 posts, read 931,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You can change my mind -- by pointing me towards peer-reviewed articles and studies in highly respected journals. If they make a solid case with data that a 40% CO2 increase since 1880 is not driving temperatures higher, then I'll believe it. But you're not going to convince me with a link to a sketchy dot com website about Vostok ice cores. There's no proof that the data is genuine, hasn't been altered or faked.
Listen, all I can do is provide you with the tools to do your own research. If you didn't bother to look at the citations I don't know what to tell you.

Instead of labeling a website as sketchy, maybe take a look-see around to gauge the legitimacy of said website and use the tools provided to confirm or deny your bias.

Attached Thumbnails
New Scientific Paper: Nearly All Climate Models Accurately Predicted Man-Made Warming. Climate Deniers Wrong Again.-20191205_170723.jpg   New Scientific Paper: Nearly All Climate Models Accurately Predicted Man-Made Warming. Climate Deniers Wrong Again.-20191205_170747.jpg   New Scientific Paper: Nearly All Climate Models Accurately Predicted Man-Made Warming. Climate Deniers Wrong Again.-20191205_170706.jpg  

Old 12-05-2019, 06:47 PM

590 posts, read 931,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are actually some that are still debating that it is even warming.

I understand the debate relative to the rate of warming but basic science indicates that we are the cause, is that still up for debate. So how much more time do we need to study the impact, certainly a century is a short time but how much longer do we study the problem before we take serious action.

Current warming is 1Deg C over a century, how is that a natural variation. The Milankovitch cycles are over millions of years so what exactly is the natural driver of the 1 deg C increase.

You pose some valid questions, the answers to which would invoke more theorizing. Here's what I do know: whatever "we" do to combat climate change will always and forever be nullified by the unrestricted pollution that China, India, and Southeast Asia produces. Get them in line then we can really do something for the world.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
In the 1990′s the classic Vostok ice core graph showed temperature and carbon in lock step moving at the same time. It made sense to worry that carbon dioxide did influence temperature. But by 2003 new data came in and it was clear that carbon lagged behind temperature. The link was back to front. Temperatures appear to control carbon, and while it’s possible that carbon also influences temperature these ice cores don’t show much evidence of that. After temperatures rise, on average it takes 800 years before carbon starts to move. The extraordinary thing is that the lag is well accepted by climatologists, yet virtually unknown outside these circles. The fact that temperature leads is not controversial. However, I did misspeak about the CO2 lag being inversely proportional, rather, it is proportional.... very, very, very slowly proportional.
No doubt, natural changes in the Earth's climate are driven mainly by the slight variations in solar energy that result from orbital mechanics. Basically, as the world warms from increase sunlight, the oceans warm, and they emit CO2, which further warms the planet and continues the warming trend even after the solar forcing has stopped. Eventually the CO2 is reabsorbed and the cycle ends. But this natural process, which occurs over thousands of years, does not describe what is happening now.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:57 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
You pose some valid questions, the answers to which would invoke more theorizing. Here's what I do know: whatever "we" do to combat climate change will always and forever be nullified by the unrestricted pollution that China, India, and Southeast Asia produces. Get them in line then we can really do something for the world.
Get them in line, eh?

All they're doing is trying to develop to the same standard of living North America and Europe already enjoy. And of course they'll continue. That's the reality. But it's hardly a good reason to throw up our hands and say nothing can be done. And it isn't "now and forever". And as they get richer, they'll get cleaner.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Just pointing out the claim that has been stated many times that this warming is based on some natural cycle over the last century yet they are unable to point to a forcing physical force other than CO2.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
South Florida sea level rise has been consistent..the rate has not increased or decreased.... since the tide gauge was installed in 1913.... 0.79 ft in 100 years...not even 1 foot in 100 years > https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

New York sea level rise has been consistent...the rate has not increased or decreased....since the tide gauge was installed in 1856..... 0.94 ft in 100 years....not even 1 foot in 100 years > https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

...global warming has had no effect on the rate of sea level rise in South Florida or New York
So why is Miami flooding even during high tides.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No doubt, natural changes in the Earth's climate are driven mainly by the slight variations in solar energy that result from orbital mechanics. Basically, as the world warms from increase sunlight, the oceans warm, and they emit CO2, which further warms the planet and continues the warming trend even after the solar forcing has stopped. Eventually the CO2 is reabsorbed and the cycle ends. But this natural process, which occurs over thousands of years, does not describe what is happening now.
Do you have a scientific source that supports your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies