Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 07:06 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't understand how people who have made millions from the invention and selling of life-saving drugs can't forego some of their profits to help children who desperately need it. I am not referring just to this case, but to many other cases, also.

Of course, people are entitled to do whatever they want with THEIR money! . . . but I just can't understand how those people and multi-billionaires can have several multi-million dollar homes but contribute nothing or virtually nothing to help poor children or children with major health problems apparently don't feel any guilt about that.

(And, yes, although my husband I are not wealthy, we do contribute to various children's charities, so I am not being a hypocrite by saying that.)
The profit margins in the pharmaceutical industry are not any higher than other industries.

Do you expect auto manufacturers to give away free cars?

Old 12-05-2019, 07:23 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The profit margins in the pharmaceutical industry are not any higher than other industries.

The drug companies do have all sorts of ways to discount or even hand out free drugs.
These technologies are life saving, a monopoly, very expensive and nothing like cars.

You can bet that Medicare will be paying way less than retail for CAR-T therapy.

https://khn.org/news/staggering-pric...ancer-therapy/

Old 12-05-2019, 09:48 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:

The average Big Pharma CEO makes $5.7 million a year.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/b...ee-pay/554283/

And, no to answer your ridiculous, imo, question, I do NOT expect any "giveaways", but I do expect people to behave morally and ethically and not be greedy at the expense of people's live. Yeah, I know -- silly me.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:

And, no to answer your ridiculous, imo, question, I do NOT expect any "giveaways", but I do expect people to behave morally and ethically and not be greedy at the expense of people's live. Yeah, I know -- silly me.
What is your point with the CEO salary? Any CEO of a Fortune 500 company will be paid a salary in the millions. Big Pharma may be evil but it is not because of what they pay their CEO.

Drugs for rare diseases are always problematical. The average cost for developing a new drug is over $2B and the drug company has to recoup that somehow. If the disease is rare there aren't many patients so the cost per treatment goes way up just so they can break even. They would be better off to not even attempt to develop drugs for rare diseases since issues like this come up and it will never be a big money maker for them anyway. Because of the poor economics of rare-disease treatments the US gov is working on ways to share costs or otherwise improve the economics because if they don't, drug companies won't do the research. But meanwhile, it is what it is.

Cost to develop drugs

Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,981 times
America is far too obsessed with the almighty dollar.
This is the reason I always laugh when I hear people say that this country was found on Christian values.

People not being given life saving medicine because they don't have enough money is literally the exact opposite of Christ like.

(And yes, I understand that money may not be the issue in this specific case, but generally speaking)

Old 12-05-2019, 10:17 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
What is your point with the CEO salary? Any CEO of a Fortune 500 company will be paid a salary in the millions. Big Pharma may be evil but it is not because of what they pay their CEO.

Drugs for rare diseases are always problematical. The average cost for developing a new drug is over $2B and the drug company has to recoup that somehow. If the disease is rare there aren't many patients so the cost per treatment goes way up just so they can break even. They would be better off to not even attempt to develop drugs for rare diseases since issues like this come up and it will never be a big money maker for them anyway. Because of the poor economics of rare-disease treatments the US gov is working on ways to share costs or otherwise improve the economics because if they don't, drug companies won't do the research. But meanwhile, it is what it is.

Cost to develop drugs
True, but knowing how much Big Pharmas make adds to the outrage many middle-class people feel when paying for their prescription drugs or their health insurance premiums or their share of their hospital bills. (I said middle class because many lower income people don't pay for their prescription drugs, etc.., although some do.)

Old 12-05-2019, 10:57 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:

How much do CEOs of other companies make?

The pharmaceutical industry is motivated by profit, like anything else.

So your expectation for companies to give away drugs (many of which took tens of millions of dollars to develop) is ridiculous.

How much of your services (or products) do you give away free?

Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,981 times
Quote:
How much do CEOs of other companies make?

The pharmaceutical industry is motivated by profit, like anything else.

So your expectation for companies to give away drugs (many of which took tens of millions of dollars to develop) is ridiculous.

How much of your services (or products) do you give away free?
This is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.
I understand that you are seemingly not a christian, so that may not be as important to you. But it's ridiculous that this country touts it's "Christian values" on one hand and then will turn around and let poor people die because they can't afford medication.

I can't believe that this is still an issue.
Any real patriot should want the best for their fellow citizens, and that includes universal healthcare. Pharmaceuticals should not be just another for profit industry.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
This is why America will never accept a "single payer" or national health plan.

Americans have become too accustomed to getting whatever care they want, whenever they want. National Health Plans require RATIONING of services. For instance, in the UK, the National Health Service just "banned" carpal tunnel surgery. To most physicians, that is just insane; however, there is only one "pot of money" for national health plans and cuts have to be made.

PS- Medicaid is not insurance- it is charity. Don't expect a cash strapped, state funded plan to provide the same coverage as Blue Cross Federal. You get what you pay for.
Carpal Tunnel surgery was not banned. It's just not going to be the first line of treatment unless certain conditions are met - just like what insurers here in the US do.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
This case has nothing to do with medicaid or national health insurance. The medicaid management follows FDA guidelines as required by law. Apparently the child is not a suitable candidate under those guidelines. They are going to arbitration. For all those who think their private insurer would do better, you are in for a rude awakening if you ever need treatment for an unusual condition. ALL insurers follow established guidelines for treatment. If it's not in the book, you don't get it private, medicaid, or medicare. End of story. They call it experimental and experimental is not covered. And Louisiana, like many states, has a medicaid system known as a capitation plan. Enrollees choose which plan they want offered and administered by not for profits. The plan contracts with health care providers. It is not a bunch of gov bureaucrats, but with respect to benefits, pretty much exactly the same system that millions of people have with employer provided plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies