Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

I think I am going to change my opinion on this one.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa...r-jackson.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 12:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
It was a very insensitive, stupid remark for the radio analyst to make. We should have learned some things and this isn't 1950 any longer. This is what he gets for running his mouth before his brain was in gear.

Since everyone making remarks so far is probably white, we would have no idea what that comment might mean to a black person.
This. There are times where an insensitive comment is rightfully condemned and there being outrage about it. Overreaction? At times! Political correctness? Sometimes.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:08 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'm not white and I think the whole thing is stupid. Should they all have to wear light colored jerseys now? Sheesh. Maybe play with a pink ball. Stupid.

I remember playing in the rain and everyone's jersey (and arms) was so dirty you couldn't see who had the ball.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,047 times
I wouldn't say that this was insensitive at all. To claim that he was being insensitive with this comment is to believe that there is something wrong with having dark skin.
Now, it was probably an insignificant comment. He probably should have been more wise with his words knowing that some people might get offended by it and it wasn't a comment that had to be made.
But I think this is a case where you're going to see more white liberals upset about what he said than black people.

Black people deal with REAL racism on a regular basis, sadly. So someone making an unoffensive comment about the darkness of their skin probably doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Perhaps I'm totally wrong, I'm not black so I don't know how I would feel if I were. As a very pasty white person if someone made a reference to my skin shade I wouldn't be offended, but I also understand that my experiences as a white person in America having not dealt with racism is different. I just don't think that what he said was intended to be insensitive and, like I said before, he certainly wasn't saying anything derogatory because there is nothing wrong with having dark skin.

Has Lamar weighed in yet on if he was offended by the comment? Because that really should be the main issue

Old 12-05-2019, 12:13 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
It was kind of a stupid thing to say. I get what he meant, but I don't know. I'm sure it was harmless and indeed just making some visual observations, but in this day an age to talk about anyone's physicality is kind of not really appropriate. I'm sitting here at work going through work place harassment training and it's funny this thread came up.

I don't think anyone should lose their jobs over this.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:26 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm not white and I think the whole thing is stupid. Should they all have to wear light colored jerseys now? Sheesh. Maybe play with a pink ball. Stupid.

I remember playing in the rain and everyone's jersey (and arms) was so dirty you couldn't see who had the ball.
Well....his arm is not "dirty"

Old 12-05-2019, 12:26 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
The Truth is always correct.

Speculation and innuendo and wishful thinking must not be portrayed as true, they should always be qualified in some way by the speaker.

If you are speaking about yourself for yourself, just say what you remember without embellishment.

What 'somebody said' on a blog or comments section or YouTube video somewhere without verification does not constitute Truth no matter how much sense it seems to make to you. Verify. If you are unable to verify for yourself then don't claim it's true.

We have a lot of gullible people out there in the world. It used to be that people would say stuff like "if a car flashes it's headlights don't flash back or the gang members will kill you" or "if you forward this email to 1000 people Microsoft will send you $100" and other such rubbish. People fell for that nonsense a lot. In some ways it was hysterical, but in other ways sad and annoying.

Well, those kinds of people are still with us, but the hoaxes are much more sophisticated now.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The Truth is always correct.

Speculation and innuendo and wishful thinking must not be portrayed as true, they should always be qualified in some way by the speaker.

If you are speaking about yourself for yourself, just say what you remember without embellishment.

What 'somebody said' on a blog or comments section or YouTube video somewhere without verification does not constitute Truth no matter how much sense it seems to make to you. Verify. If you are unable to verify for yourself then don't claim it's true.

We have a lot of gullible people out there in the world. It used to be that people would say stuff like "if a car flashes it's headlights don't flash back or the gang members will kill you" or "if you forward this email to 1000 people Microsoft will send you $100" and other such rubbish. People fell for that nonsense a lot. In some ways it was hysterical, but in other ways sad and annoying.

Well, those kinds of people are still with us, but the hoaxes are much more sophisticated now.
Are you in the right thread?

Old 12-05-2019, 12:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
It was a very insensitive, stupid remark for the radio analyst to make. We should have learned some things and this isn't 1950 any longer. This is what he gets for running his mouth before his brain was in gear.

Since everyone making remarks so far is probably white, we would have no idea what that comment might mean to a black person.
What about people, regardless of race, who have the gift of eyesight and who can clearly see it's harder to make out a brown to dark brown ball in the arms of black man wearing a black uniform?

Old 12-05-2019, 12:46 PM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Stupid remark.

In the 10 years I played Football including College in the SEC I have never heard someone say "I cant see the ball because there all black" or something to that effect. The best play action passer in recent NFL history is not even black, it was Payton Manning. He made defenses look stupid all the time and he wore a white jersey most of the time.

Just admit it and say the guy is good, that's it. He is good and until defenses figure it out (they will eventually but still have to stop it) he will continue to beat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies