Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think changes in Abortion laws will discourage premarital sex?
Yes 17 11.97%
No 125 88.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would not trust modern teen sex rate that claim they are lower than past decades...I remember when I was a teenager..my 1st time was in 7th grade, most of my classmates were having theirs as well...the thing is though, NONE of our parents knew and we didnt tell anyone what we were doing, if someone asked, we lied and said no.

Kids that age are not stupid, they know how to hide stuff from their parents.
That reminds me of that early 80s film - "Last American Virgin" where the motto was "see it or be it" - lol. Although mostly a comedy, the movie had striking realism about teen promsicuity: unplanned pregnancy and abortion, an STD, and a love triangle gone awry with a losing ending for the ostensible protagonist. Such was teen life in the 80s. But I'll bet it's not like that now (sarcasm).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmsly1UOeMk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
I think all one needs to do is read up on the Baby Scoop Era (ie. the decades between the end of WWII and the Roe v. Wade ruling), and it becomes quite clear lack of access to contraception, abortion, and sex education did not curtail premarital sex at all.
This. It just cause a lot of "shotgun" weddings, or young women who went away to visit a relative (actually hiding their pregnancy, the birth of the baby and adoption). Or married couples screwing around just told their mate the baby was theirs. Or women, especially poor ones, were ostricized and if they'd gotten pregnant all by themselves. Yeah, the good old days - NOT.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:23 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
The danger of pregnancy has always has been a natural deterrent against premarital sex. What do you think?
I think it has never been a deterrent to sex at all.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I dont know what kind of changes in abortion law the OP is suggesting. If you think outlawing abortion would decrease casual sex/sexual immorality it might, but theres no way to know for sure.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb Premarital sexual permissiveness and Abortion

In recent decades both abortions and teen pregnancies have dropped significantly.

"Since 1991, the rates of teen pregnancy have dropped by half."

https://www.womenshealth.gov/30-achievements/09

"The U.S. abortion rate dropped to 13.5 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 in 2017, the lowest rate recorded since abortion was legalized in 1973 and an 8% decline from 2014"

https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...toric-low-2017

So, all you angry evangelicals who assure us that America is going to hell in a handbasket?

Remember to love thy neighbors this holiday season.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:38 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
The phrase “premarital sex” is a loaded phrase only used by religious conservatives.

It presumes that marriage is a prerequisite for sex which is a condition only religious conservatives recognize as valid.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The phrase “premarital sex” is a loaded phrase only used by religious conservatives.

It presumes that marriage is a prerequisite for sex which is a condition only religious conservatives recognize as valid.

Not true. I lean conservative but I am not in any way religious.

Perhaps "sex without a hope of any actual commitment" might be less triggering to your sensibilities.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:07 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
The danger of pregnancy has always has been a natural deterrent against premarital sex. What do you think?
I don't really care if people have premarital sex.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The left is not killing babies. If a baby were being killed it would be murder and nobody who exercises her right to choose as per Roe v. Wade is charged with murder. If you don't like abortions don't get one.
if you don't like rape then don't rape someone.
if you don't like murder than don't kill someone.
Don't like slavery? Don't own one.

Right? If you don't like something, it's OK if other people do ... that's the point you're making, right?

Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Mabe it's not so hard if men would stop pressuring young women for sex.

Or maybe some of those men should check out something called CONDOMS. Ever heard of them? They are quite effective. Instead of just laying all the responsibility for birth control on women.

OH but wait next you'll tell me condoms don't really work (but what you really mean is, it's no fun to use them).
Where do you live where men "pressure" women into sex and have never heard of condoms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies