Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:03 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
It was done by adding fake news propaganda and conspiracy theories to social media like facebook, etc. that have exposure to millions of people. Many actually believed the nonsense on there..."Birtherism" and "Pizzagate" were just a few examples of countless others that were crazy...I knew something was very fishy going on with Russia meddling, however many didn't and actually believed that stuff!?
Russia didn't invent conspiracy theories. Actually domestic actors overwhelmingly instigated trolls and bots to push a narrative/conspiracy in 2016 over anything Russia did.

Russians can post on American social media if you want. People are making this out to be a great atrocity like 9/11 when it was actually just mundane nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
How did Russia interfere in 2016 elections?

WikiLeaks had a huge impact against Clinton because the e-mails were released slowly over time. The constant "drip drip drip" of hacked information dominated the media, drowning out Clinton's messaging. She was hit with questions at the debates which were sourced from WikiLeaks.

Russia had 470 Facebook accounts that generated 340 million shares from a huge troll farm that had 300 employees at its peak. Russia had 50,000 Twitter accounts. They also hacked the DNC's voter databases, which told them which specific regions had undecided and swayable voters. So they carpet-bombed these areas with inflammatory material, hoping to tip the scales in the swing districts.

In addition to "soft interference" there was also direct intrusion: Mueller found “The GRU also targeted private technology firms responsible for manufacturing and administering election-related software and hardware, such as voter registration software and electronic polling stations” and "the GRU then gained access to a database containing information on millions of registered Illinois voters, and extracted data related to thousands of U.S. voters before the malicious activity was identified.”

Given the very large scope and breadth of the Russian operation, it's likely they were successful in convincing some fence-sitters and undecideds to lean towards Trump. With the razor thin margins deciding electoral college votes in some states, it only takes a tiny percentage of undecided voters to be swayed by Russian disinformation.
Thank you! It is hard to believe that 400+ FB accounts could have such an impact in such a big country like ours.
Shouldn’t we worry about the whole FB- a private entity- having such an influence on a political outcome?

Last edited by Nik4me; 12-05-2019 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-05-2019, 11:25 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Some great observations!
Wouldn't be good to dismantle the party system in the elections altogether and vote for the programs, ideas and people who can make those ideas a reality for the best of this nation?
Financial reform should commence as well- raising millions of dollars for election- it is not right!
When the politics stops being a dirty business, maybe a young smart political talent shows up...
If people had the ability to vote and get everything they wanted, wouldn't they just keep voting for raises and free crap, the way the politicians do for themselves? I think there is a better way. Ethical, fair, and most importantly, small government on a leash, dedicated to empowering the people to achieve goals that are ambitious to our nation and it's future.

Let the people decide what is best for them through small, limited representative government, where the people are free to elect the people most qualified to work towards the goal of empowering and strengthening the people as a whole. After all, a nation's people are it's greatest asset, and that is an undeniable truth. But giving that power directly to the people, you must consider, millions are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and their vote is worth just as much and any vote from a genius.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Thank you! It is hard to believe that 400+ FB accounts could have such an impact in such a big country like ours.
Shouldn’t we worry about the whole FB- a private entity- having such an influence on a political outcome?
That's the power of social media. One account can have thousands or millions of followers.

The problem is not the company FB or whether it is private or not, the problem is the technology of social media where fake news items can propagate so wide and so fast. And it is not just a technical problem, it is a human problem because people are not well prepared to question things they get from social media.

You seem to be implying that social media should not be private. I don't buy that and as I said I don't that social media needs to change. I think people will adjust to it over time and I think laws and standards of use will come into existence that will solve some of its problems.

As far as the Russians go, it is not so much a question of how much impact they had on the 2016 election, but the fact that they devoted lots of resources to it. No matter what disagreements the Dems and Pubs have, they should come together and put an end to any foreign influence. The Senate resolution on it was bipartisan but for whatever reason the President has ignored it.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 AM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
The Mueller report said they didnt. Anyone who states Russia/Trump hacked the election belongs in the same camp as those who believe 9/11 didnt happen or we didnt land on the moon.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
After Podesta clicked on an email link, which was a phishing attempt
That's the claim; however, Clinton refused to turn the server over to US investigators.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That's the power of social media. One account can have thousands or millions of followers.

The problem is not the company FB or whether it is private or not, the problem is the technology of social media where fake news items can propagate so wide and so fast. And it is not just a technical problem, it is a human problem because people are not well prepared to question things they get from social media.

You seem to be implying that social media should not be private. I don't buy that and as I said I don't that social media needs to change. I think people will adjust to it over time and I think laws and standards of use will come into existence that will solve some of its problems.

As far as the Russians go, it is not so much a question of how much impact they had on the 2016 election, but the fact that they devoted lots of resources to it. No matter what disagreements the Dems and Pubs have, they should come together and put an end to any foreign influence. The Senate resolution on it was bipartisan but for whatever reason the President has ignored it.
So, you want all social media in the US firewalled from the rest of the globe?

Good luck with that?

Old 12-06-2019, 04:14 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Read the Mueller Report and the report from the Senate intelligence Committee that was just released.

If you're unaware of all the media reports from far right to far left and in between by now, you've just woken up from a long sleep.

..Senate intelligence Committee is republican controlled, so you'll get the unbiased report. Mueller is also a staunch republican so both are very good resources to educate you on the Russian interference in our election. Unless your thread agenda is to start a fight about the conclusions from these reports...….then all bets are off.

Good hunting
Exactly. Take 20 mins to educate yourself via Google, OP.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:43 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
They hacked email accounts and released embarrassing emails.
This has never been actually proven because Hillary and the DNC refused to allow the FBI access to their server to prove it was Russia. We are only going on what THEIR private IT person says.

Many suspect it was a disgruntled democrat who released the emails, possibly even mysteriously-murdered Seth.
That’s why DNC refuses to release any evidence it was the Russians.

Last edited by mountainrose; 12-06-2019 at 05:05 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 AM

302 posts, read 182,584 times
https://amgreatness.com/2019/12/05/i...nce-community/

The DNC refused to give up their servers to the FBI, so the FBI proceeded on the word of the DNC and Crowdstrike. There is no evidence available that the Russians hacked the servers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies