Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have friends whose political views differ from yours?
I am a liberal and I do not have conservative friends 4 4.04%
I am a liberal and I do have conservative friends 30 30.30%
I am a conservative and I do not have liberal friends 9 9.09%
I am a conservative and I do have liberal friends 56 56.57%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 04:43 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Yes. We agree to disagree and focus on our vast similarities and interests instead of the few differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 04:44 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
We just agree not to talk politics.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
What a question!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely I can. Why would I limit my exposure, viewpoints and interactions with people that I don't agree with? That's like putting horse blinders on and walking around all day long.

I'm a right leaning Libertarian living in Seattle. Three quarters of my friends are liberal. Does that put a halt to our friendship? Please. How juvenile.....

Old 12-06-2019, 04:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I certainly can... I don't identify with either party. I am conservative in some ways and liberal in others.

If anything, I get more pressure from people "to take a side". Case in point, the poll in this very thread.
You're most likely conservative in most ways.

I bet you believe you're a social liberal, but let's run through it.

If you're a conservative, you want a government with limited powers and a small role in people's personal lives.

A true conservative wants drugs decriminalized because the government should have no say in what an adults puts in their body.

A true conservative is fine with gay marriage, because the government should have no control over a union between two consenting adults.

A true conservative doesn't want a government decide which, if any, religion you practice.

We can discuss it further if you like.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Can you have a friend who has the opposite political views? So far, I only see liberals who have this problem but maybe I am wrong.

Tell us what you are. And if you can associate with the enemy.
Liberal here. I can and do maintain friendships with many conservatives. Not all, because there is a subset who are incapable of mutual respect and healthy discourse.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Perhaps if we would discuss politics we would discover that all of us agree on about 80% of the current issues. What a concept. More a like than different. What would the pundits think?

Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,168 times
If you can't be friends with people with opposite political views then you deserve to be a lonely, friendless person.

I don't really label myself with any partisan political nonsense term, but I am definitely more left of center and I dislike Trump immensely. I have friends and family who are gung ho #MAGA folks who love the guy. And that's fine. I know that they see something in him that I just don't. It doesn't define who they are in my eyes.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:51 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I vote Democrat in national elections but sometimes split on local or state elections. I have friends who are more liberal than I am and some more conservative. I generally don't abide extremists or Trumpers who insist on expounding on the virtues of Trump but can't rationally defend their position without sinking into bigotry, white nationalism, and/or anti immigrant rhetoric. So, in that sense, I determine who I associate with socially mostly on the individual level.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Absolutely you can, I'm sure millions of people can relate to that, why would that even be an issue. I'm a dem and I have republican and conservative friends, neighbors and coworkers. We never talk politics, and I guess everybody knows how everybody stands anyway. Everybody gets along in my neighborhood and helps each other out. I really only get into politics on this site, I'm hardly ever talking politics with my friends and family, why burden them with that when you can talk about other stuff. I know I go back and forth with the people on here, but CD is not the world I live in everyday, I don't know people like some of these in real life.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
I have friends who are liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies