Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have friends whose political views differ from yours?
I am a liberal and I do not have conservative friends 4 4.04%
I am a liberal and I do have conservative friends 30 30.30%
I am a conservative and I do not have liberal friends 9 9.09%
I am a conservative and I do have liberal friends 56 56.57%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times

Advertisements

It is possible, but to at what point you stop being friends with them, outside of them endorsing violence or something extreme like pedophilia, is another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 05:03 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My best friend is a left leaning dem. He usually answers with "well... and but Bush retort". I pray for him and it seems to help.

However most of my friends are conservative including all my children... for the win.
Sounds like you best friend needs some lessons on messing with you if he only has the "but Bush" retort.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Can you have a friend who has the opposite political views? So far, I only see liberals who have this problem but maybe I am wrong.

Tell us what you are. And if you can associate with the enemy.
I do have friends and relatives who hold opposing political views from mine. We do not consider each other to be enemies because we have differing perspectives and ideas. It used to be that politicians in Congress could work with each other and respect each other's opinions without fear of retribution for doing their jobs or falling prey to those whose sole goal is to destroy them. There once was a time when we in America cherished the idea that we were a United Nation of many ideas and philosophies joining together to make a better and stronger world. Compromising in the name of accomplishing something for all and embracing progress or justice for others even if it was not 100% to one's liking or a sacrifice had to be made or considered. That was the American way. There once was a time when our leaders upheld our institutions and made attempts to understand that they served all the people, not just the voters who cast a ballot in their favor. I am a member of the Democratic Party and I wholly subscribe to the Preamble to our Constitution and to our Bill of Rights and to the entire sacred document that follows.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

We may disagree at the top of our lungs as to how that should be done, but at the end of the debate and day, we used to join together and get it done to preserve that Union not foment disunion and certainly not call another American one's enemy.

A fellow American is not my enemy despite our president telling others falsely that I am their enemy. The press is not my enemy, and We the People should be banding together for the sake of our beloved country and not succumbing to the words of civil war. After all, we have more in common than that which divides us.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 12-06-2019 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I have a relative who, with his wife and three kids, have moved back in with his parents. He has Trump books all over the house. My husband and I are friendly with him and we have a lot in common with him. We all like organic gardening, home cooking, education, concern about the environment. The wife has finally started to work and the husband and kids get health insurance through her now.

I don't know where we differ but with all the Trump books and once I said something on FB and he called me a communist, we just don't talk about politics. We would help them and they would help us in times of trouble. We are all of the same religion--(Congregational/United Church of Christ) so he is not one of those Evangelical hypocrites. If we did talk about politics maybe we'd find we were similar but after being called a communist, no way!

Old 12-06-2019, 05:15 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't have close friends who are conservatives because I just wouldn't be comfortable with talking to them about some things. My neighbor and I were discussing the sad demise of "talk radio" meaning the call in discussion programs that used to exist with a neutral commentator to take the calls.

Then our conservative neighbor chimed in how there still are radio talk shows. They're on in the afternoon.
I think I know what she means. Those crazy, shouting, yelling, preaching at you, brainwashing, horror shows. That's what she listens to. Sometimes there's just no communication possible.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't have close friends who are conservatives because I just wouldn't be comfortable with talking to them about some things. My neighbor and I were discussing the sad demise of "talk radio" meaning the call in discussion programs that used to exist with a neutral commentator to take the calls.

Then our conservative neighbor chimed in how there still are radio talk shows. They're on in the afternoon.
I think I know what she means. Those crazy, shouting, yelling, preaching at you, brainwashing, horror shows. That's what she listens to. Sometimes there's just no communication possible.
Yeah, that's all there is. (/sarcasm off)

Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Up until this president, I would've definitely said I can be friends with people who have opposite political views. It changed with Trump. I don't understand people who support Trump and I question their motivation, honesty, and intelligence.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Can you have a friend who has the opposite political views? So far, I only see liberals who have this problem but maybe I am wrong.

People with differing views aren’t my ENEMIES for crying out loud. What’s with that type of language?

And yes, I can have conservative friends. I don’t discuss politics offline except on extremely rare occasions. I don’t even talk politics with my wife. There are a million other interesting topics. Politics is BORING!

Old 12-06-2019, 06:12 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:

I'm a left leaning man living in ultra conservative South Carolina. Of course I have friends on the opposite side of the spectrum. Most of my friends are conservative leaning actually as well as family. I consider none of them my "enemy" and none of them think I am their "enemy" too. Folks who use that term to describe someone of a different ideology tend to frighten me. My advice to them would be to take a step back and consider what is important to them. Because friends and family are more important to me than anything

Old 12-06-2019, 06:13 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:

Some people aren't just friends with people who have opposite political views, they're married to people with opposite political views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies