Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 03:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Good recent article from NR on this.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...s-in-handouts/

Funding and management are key. According to the linked article, only Howard has had long term congressionally mandated funding.

Of the 101 HBCU's in the country, many are simply struggling, and cannot seem to manage their own affairs.
U
So keep them all open forever? Not so sure. Seems many are at the whim of funding of the taxpayers and those they elect. Seems the herd may need some culling.

And yes, I get the historical perspective here, I personally dont have a problem with HBCU's, but it sure seems a lot of them need to operational scrutiny if expected to be sustained, forever by the rest of us.
That’s ok. You bailed out the banks and the auto industry. HBCU’s have a right to put their hand out too. After all, their necessity forced their establishment in the first place.

“By the rest of us?” There is no “rest of us.” The HBCUs ARE us. Your attitude is part of the problem. You do actually have a problem with the HBCUs regardless of what you say.

But that’s not my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why is there anything like "black colleges" or even "women's sports"....sounds quite discriminatory
Do you seriously to know that these were schools created when black people were not allowed to go to white colleges ?

Or

Are you one of those people who believes white people cant go to HBCU's ?

I am genuinely asking because obviously, there is a scenario where you are wrong about everything; And because you wouldnt be the first white conservative to not understand/believe these falsehoods.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:27 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s ok. You bailed out the banks and the auto industry. HBCU’s have a right to put their hand out too. After all, their necessity forced their establishment in the first place.

“By the rest of us?” There is no “rest of us.” The HBCUs ARE us. Your attitude is part of the problem. You do actually have a problem with the HBCUs regardless of what you say.

But that’s not my concern.
I personally wasn't OK with bailing out the auto industry (especially GM), nor the banks. Believe that. Not a fan of agriculture subsidies either, along with a whole other slew of undeserved and or unnecessary redistribution we all get to support unwillingly.

As for the HBCU's, I never attended one, never received an iota of benefit from one (you can save your pending "greater society" speech on that), so you are projecting when you say they "Are Us". I understand them, and am fine with them, but they are not a part of me.
Sure seems like I am paying for them though, and in light of the obvious mismanagement in so many of them, the poor performers do not get "deserve" to put their hands out. Nope.

You want to help shed the whole "minorities and welfare" tropes? HBCU's may be a good place to focus. You are not pitching this well.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:13 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Many HBCUs are religion-affiliated. Why aren't lefties complaining about the taxpayer funding of religious institutions? That's the crap they pull with K-12 school vouchers.

Federal Funding for Religious HBCUs Reinstated - Inside Higher Ed

Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The Senate allowed the funding to expire. They figured out it was going to be a bad look. The cowards passed it by unanimous consent.

Just think of the 300 bills passed by the House waiting to be passed. They could knock them all out by unanimous consent in one day.

Except Trump tells one of his guys to hold them up one at a time.
Actually, no. The religion-affiliated HBCUs' federal funding was restricted because lefties think the taxpayer funding of religious institutions is unconstitutional. Read my prior post and the link.

Interesting, though, that they never had a problem with federal funds going to Georgetown University (Bill Clinton's alma mater) Emory University (works closely with the CDC), and other religion-affiliated colleges and universities.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:03 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, no. The religion-affiliated HBCUs' federal funding was restricted because lefties think the taxpayer funding of religious institutions is unconstitutional. Read my prior post and the link.

Interesting, though, that they never had a problem with federal funds going to Georgetown University (Bill Clinton's alma mater) Emory University (works closely with the CDC), and other religion-affiliated colleges and universities.
From your link:

Quote:
And the "skinny budget" released by the Trump administration last month, although promising to maintain dedicated funding for HBCUs, proposed serious cuts to financial aid and college readiness programs that benefit many of their students and disproportionately help black students at a range of institutions.
Quote:
In one of her first meetings with HBCU leaders in February (and later in a statement released through the department), DeVos said that historically black colleges were "pioneers of school choice" -- a phrase that critics said ignored their origins in a Jim Crow system that excluded black college students entirely.
Apparently the Trump administration cannot go through with their original plan.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
From your link:

Apparently the Trump administration cannot go through with their original plan.
That's because lefties restricted federal funding given to religion-affiliated HCBUs. They think it's unconstitutional, while still federally funding religion-affiliated Georgetown, Emory, etc., as I already noted.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
That's because lefties restricted federal funding given to religion-affiliated HCBUs. They think it's unconstitutional, while still federally funding religion-affiliated Georgetown, Emory, etc., as I already noted.
DeVos: Black Colleges Are 'Pioneers' of 'School Choice'

Education secretary's remarks astound many advocates for colleges that were created because black students were denied choices.

Quote:
Marybeth Gasman, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania who has written numerous books about the history of black colleges, wrote, "Take a look at this ahistorical and inaccurate depiction of HBCUs by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. See how HBCUs and their creation are described -- 'they saw that the system wasn't working.' I'm talking to the media about this right now. And then folks are wondering why I don't advocate for kowtowing with Trump and his white supremacist friends. They are trying to pretend that a vast system of oppression, slavery, Jim Crow and discrimination never existed. And then using HBCUs to promote their school choice agenda … give me a break. Stop falling for the okie doke people! You can't negotiate with white supremacists for black rights and opportunities. #WhitewashingHBCUhistory"
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-school-choice

Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why is there anything like "black colleges" or even "women's sports"....sounds quite discriminatory
That would be the "H" in HBCU
Quote:
Many HBCUs are religion-affiliated. Why aren't lefties complaining about the taxpayer funding of religious institutions? That's the crap they pull with K-12 school vouchers.

Federal Funding for Religious HBCUs Reinstated - Inside Higher Ed
The "B" in HBCU trumps the religion or anti-religion forces if you like. For the state run HBCU's you can go up on YouTube and pull videos of their marching bands performing, with singers using the original lyrics. Christian Gospel songs at football games. While Grambling State or Southern University in Louisiana can get away with it let LSU try and watch how fast they would be shut down

Old 12-08-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
DeVos: Black Colleges Are 'Pioneers' of 'School Choice'

Education secretary's remarks astound many advocates for colleges that were created because black students were denied choices.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-school-choice
So WHY are Dems OPPOSED to school choice (school vouchers) at the K-12 level? WHY did Dems think it was correct to DEFUND religion-affiliated HBCUs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies