Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 01:49 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,741,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The humorous part is if they are using power generated by a gas plant the gas stove is producing far less emission than their electric stove. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
This is true. Any time you convert power of one type to another, there is obviously losses. Natural gas at the stove is more efficient that natural gas at the power plant making electricity for an electric stove.
I agree with others, natural gas is the least worse option and a good interim power source while we add more renewable energy to the grid. Then it should remain as backup power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 01:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,687 times
This is concerning. I should talk to my builder ASAP!
My home under construction in Louisiana will have two gas furnaces, one gas hot water heater, a gas cooktop, a gas outdoor grill, a Cummins natural gas 20Kw standby generator, and to add insult to injury, two Bevelo gaslights at the front entrance. The lanterns burn 24/7 and provide a magical flicker to the approach.

Natural gas is prevalent in the Sportsman's Paradise and is the home fuel of choice. We love fossil fuels and the sight of H2S lighting the evening sky.

So happy I am a thousand miles from these Left Coast loons!

Old 12-09-2019, 02:27 PM

18,503 posts, read 8,326,452 times
you know...there's a reason that everyone in hurricane country...owns a gas grill

Old 12-09-2019, 03:34 PM

30,494 posts, read 19,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The Seattle area has grown notably, and will obviously need additional power. Yet Inslee cancelled a new natural gas power plant in the Tacoma area and then this summer when it was hot they had a blackout which resulted in the wastewater plant overflowing 3+ million gallons of sewage into the sound.
Yeah Inslee and that mindset might drive me out of Washington. I'm torn because I would prefer clean energy but having the option of natural gas is I think still necessary.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:38 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,053,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Hey Einstein, this is one single issue. There are other issues I disagree with many liberals about -- that doesn't mean I need to reject the entire ideology. And one reason for that is, I reject far more standard conservative positions than I do standard liberal positions.

Maybe you can't understand that some people don't blanket accept everything their side tends to take a position on, and/or reject everything the other side tends to take a position on.
He/she doesn't understand. Team sports mentality in political matters will do that to people.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 PM

30,087 posts, read 18,704,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If the goal is to cut greenhouse gas emission, then eliminating natural gas stoves makes sense. Wood stoves are better in that regard, because it's based on captured carbon dioxide. There's always going to be some natural gas leakage in the process of delivery to homes and businesses. But it's possible that new natural gas detectors could cut down on that to a significant degree.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/metha...ural-gas-leaks
That is insane. Natural gas IS "trapped CO2", just like wood, coal, and oil.

Resorting to wood for fuel would be an ecological catastrophe. Along with massive deforestation, you would have a much larger infusion of particulate matter into the atmosphere, house fires, and massive soil erosion.

Can you imagine a large city in which the residents burn wood for heat? It would make the air in 19th century London look like a pleasant alpine breath of fresh air.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,179,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is insane to ban Natural Gas. It is clean, efficient, and relatively inexpensive, especially compared to Electric.
You left out SAFETY. Underground natural gas pipelines have a terrible safety record -- entire neighborhoods have been destroyed by gas pipeline leaks that ignite and explode. Deaths and injuries occur from natural gas pipeline explosions several times a year. Underground electric is extremely safe, far safer than gas.

Another advantage of an all-electric home is if you want to put solar panels on the roof to generate your own power you have that option. You can't make your own natural gas -- you are hostage to whatever price your utility wants to charge.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Without natural gas backup power, you can’t add much wind and solar power to the grid. Natural gas is absolutely essential for renewables. So it seems pretty silly to demonize natural gas, especially for heating.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
If you paid attention, a lot of the laws still allow you to use natury gas... You just have to be wealthy... I like laws where the poor don't get access that I get... don't worry it's better for the world.... /End sarcasm

Old 12-09-2019, 06:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is insane. Natural gas IS "trapped CO2", just like wood, coal, and oil.

They are all part of a cycle but wood is a very rapid one. If you own 20+/- acres of woods the amount of wood you are burning to heat one home is replaced with new growth. As long as the land area can sustain that your carbon footprint is 0.

Quote:

Resorting to wood for fuel would be an ecological catastrophe. Along with massive deforestation, you would have a much larger infusion of particulate matter into the atmosphere, house fires, and massive soil erosion.
You can do this sustainably but the figure I came up with was an area the size of Alaska, CA, Texas and a smaller sate. It's just not realistic and that's before you get into the issues with PM etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies