Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:16 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Ugh, a long time ago gives perspective, needed perspective to tell truly what happened. Contrast that with our urgent, today believe and spread the rumor as true social media environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
He died fairly young.

His life was pretty much ruined from what the authorities and media did to him. I guess at least there were some people on his side in his case, but there weren't many.

I am curious as to why Clint Eastwood felt the need for this movie at this time. This happened a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 03:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Not in the least funny. Mr Jewel was a human being who dreamed of the job where he could help society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It must really suck to be accused of the crimes committed by a right wing wacko. Even for an overweight redneck from Georgia.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:27 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Not in the least funny. Mr Jewel was a human being who dreamed of the job where he could help society.
not all but a lot of the black people on this site are very angry and racist. eddie is one of them. indentured servant is another. there are a few others.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:05 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Another case of the FBI leaking untruths to the press.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:49 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Ugh, a long time ago gives perspective, needed perspective to tell truly what happened. Contrast that with our urgent, today believe and spread the rumor as true social media environment.
I want to see this movie. I had a newborn son at the time this actually happened and didn't get to pay enough attention to the facts.

I, like many others, assumed early on that he was guilty.

May I never be a 'person of interest.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I want to see this movie. I had a newborn son at the time this actually happened and didn't get to pay enough attention to the facts.

I, like many others, assumed early on that he was guilty.

May I never be a 'person of interest.
You just ironically nailed the whole problem with Richard Jewells treatment. There weren't any facts but it was a HUGE news story so they *made* the news about him.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
It must really suck to be accused of the crimes committed by a right wing wacko. Even for an overweight redneck from Georgia.
Do you work for the mainstream media?

Old 12-09-2019, 06:29 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, he sure was.

But I think both the gov and journalists did learn something from this incident. They're a lot more careful now about branding incidents as terrorist acts and individuals as terrorists.

Whether there's more that could legislatively be done, I don't know.
Someone at the FBI should have been fired over it. It's been a long time ago, but IIRC they tricked Jewell into relinquishing constitutional rights by telling him they wanted to film him for a training video or some such thing. Totally dishonest, and a crapping-on of the Constitution.

But of course as usual, no agents were held accountable.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:04 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
That overweight redneck from Georgia saved hundreds or thousands of lives that day and he was rewarded by being accused of a crime he didn’t commit.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Someone at the FBI should have been fired over it. It's been a long time ago, but IIRC they tricked Jewell into relinquishing constitutional rights by telling him they wanted to film him for a training video or some such thing. Totally dishonest, and a crapping-on of the Constitution.

But of course as usual, no agents were held accountable.
It is legal for LE to lie when questioning a suspect.

I don't say it's right. But it IS legal.

It's never been clear to me exactly why they fastened on him so firmly. But we know that far too often, the "system" pursues and imprisons people who are not guilty. It's not just an FBI problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies