Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 06:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,089,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Goes to show that the tech industry does value high value areas. I guess it doesn't want high worker turnover if they decided to locate in a low-desirability area that offers low taxes and little to nothing else.
I mean, which job would you take? $60,000 in Atlanta or $120,000 in Shreveport?

Pack the bags, Maria. We're moving to Shreveport!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 06:52 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,570,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Pack the bags, Maria. We're moving to Shreveport!
What if that person were a trans-female atheist vegan Green Party supporter?
Are you sure they wouldn't be willing to sacrifice boo-coo bucks to live in more tolerant Atlanta?

Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,089,407 times
Quote:
What if that person were a trans-female atheist vegan Green Party supporter?
Are you sure they wouldn't be willing to sacrifice boo-coo bucks to live in more tolerant Atlanta?

We don't base economic decisions on the personal interests of 0.1% of the population.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 PM

30,508 posts, read 17,972,459 times
AOC is a damned fool who doesn't have a clue

That she is touting 1,500 jobs (I don't care that they are not in her district) when Amazon originally pledged to bring 25,000 jobs shows just how loony she is.

This is someone that is really a member of the United States Congress?? Just goes to show that you don't require a firm grasp on reality to serve in Congress.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,042,159 times
Quote:
Goes to show that the tech industry does value high value areas. I guess it doesn't want high worker turnover if they decided to locate in a low-desirability area that offers low taxes and little to nothing else.
I mean, which job would you take? $60,000 in Atlanta or $120,000 in Shreveport?
They can’t print enough money to get me to live in a dump like Shreveport.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:31 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,712,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol, I could add a few more to that list.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:38 PM

8,841 posts, read 2,484,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, I could add a few more to that list.
Yeah, the usual dumps, Detroit, LA, NYC.

I'd go with the "you can't print enough money" rhetoric, but it's untrue, you really can print that much money...but it sure as hell wouldn't be cheap to get me to live in any of those cities. I'm thinking Louisiana as a whole is on that list as well.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 PM

2,450 posts, read 963,726 times
Quote:
Why should Amazon get a 3 billion dollar tax incentive? Based on what? Tell me.
Listen, this has been explained over and over and over again. If people don't understand how these incentives work they aren't capable of grasping the concept or any other meaningful economic data.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:35 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,290,842 times
Quote:
Whatever. The bottom line remains that every person and business seeks to get the best deal they can get. Those companies aren't flocking to all parts of CA. Maybe Silicon Valley has achieved the critical mass of talent and companies that the big players need to be there but not every place is like that. In life, you play with the cards you are dealt. Or you can choose not to play. What TN has achieved is a large and growing auto industry. Their efforts to attract Nissan have in fact paid off in making it more attractive to other players like VW and GM to come in.
And they've had to bribe VW to build a plant in Chattanooga, too.

And at what cost?

Ya'll love to whine about needy people getting social programs, but oh gosh ---- corporate welfare? Noooo problem.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:51 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,570,740 times
Quote:
We don't base economic decisions on the personal interests of 0.1% of the population.
I exaggerated a bit, but it's still true and certainly has enough truth to make my point. Income may matter in the low to lower-middle paying occupations, but those not already outsourced are starting to be further automated. So what does that leave? High paying occupations (especially high creativity ones that can't be easily duplicated by software)! The higher paying the job and the easier it is to relocate, the more location matters, and even more does the local cultural atttiudes matter. True, a person who's obviously a member of an out-group (especially values, attitudes, and such) may live in a low-quality area with a sufficiently high income. But that person, after gaining the income and experience will likely move away to a more accommodating locale the first chance they get.

All this means that while the income-to-COL ratio is important, it does have limits. Which brings us to the next remark.

Quote:
Thank you! You made my point. Knowing you like I do on this board, I suspect the social and cultural climate of the area is a big part of it, if not most of it (high poverty being the other factor). And most people in the US live in areas with lots more tolerance than that city. Much fewer amenities aren't helping it out either, but that's an effect of income and poverty, all other things equal. Cities flourish when a wide variety of idea flourish, even weird ones (so long as they aren't bigoted, excessively traditional, or narrow ones). If your area's culture is such that talented "square peg" types find uncomfortable or stifling, then they'll leave the first chance they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies