Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,423,772 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ial-documents/
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/09/polit...ion/index.html

The typical response Americans give is: "oh, we knew that already".

Then they cynically put gifs online mocking people for being so naive. Really?

Do you seriously want me to believe all of you took for granted that US officials in the Bush, Obama, and Trump administrations were making false statements deliberately on the progress in Afghanistan?

I would bet a shiny penny most of you honor/respect one of the three men above. If that's so how does that play with your deep seated cynicism?

You can't on one hand praise your political and military leaders as crusaders for democracy against the Russian tyrants but then jokingly say "lol, of course our politicians are corrupt liars, this isn't news".

Perhaps you do this to avoid reading the actual material, perhaps you do this because you don't understand why your government acts the way it and can't come up with any excuses. Maybe its because you don't want to admit that 'liberal democracy' isn't a moral institution, but a system of markets to lower consumer prices in our domestic economy. Maybe you don't care that respected authorities of our government are just avenues of power concentration.

If I told you Harvard was just a hedge fund with a recruitment arm, you may ironically agree with me. But why? Does it embarrass you that all your generals, political leaders, and business managers come from the same fraudulent premise that the government is a moral actor or upper education is a tool of knowledge/discipline?

All of you worship some aspect of American power, whether it is the police, academia, the Federal agencies, private political parties, or non-profit organizations. You can't so easily go from mocking their existence to living by them as a code of honor.

That is what the Russian fear mongering is about. Russia is an authoritarian dictator attacking our free institutions. And that by extension means Russia is attacking you.

But then you can't claim your institutions are corrupt organizations working against average Americans. You could use the claim that they just support financial power even at the disregard of the constitution, individual rights, and inflate the value of basic public goods to keep citizens in debt. But then domestic actors are just as treasonous as foriegn actors, since they both work against the will of the population.

But do any of you really believe that? Because if not then what right do you have to say that political lies used to kill civilians is predictable/obvious. If you really loved Bush, Obama, or Trump you can't turn around and say: "of course they're all criminals, duhhh" on social media.

Be consistent, if you love your country, then defend this. Explain to me why US political and military leaders did this, and why they were promoting freedom and democracy in doing so.

Tell me, don't cower away, there are plenty reasons I can think of. But don't for the love of god say "lol, no surprise here".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 09:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,592,773 times
That's what an all powerful government overstepping its authority gets us.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM

15,807 posts, read 6,519,477 times
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies."
--Winston Churchill

This is the reality of war folks.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies."
--Winston Churchill

This is the reality of war folks.
Yeah, Churchill was part of the problem.

You see war according to him is predicated on the pursuit of power and wealth, something Churchill excelled at.

His career didn't begin antagonizing Hitler nor did it end doing so. He went from celebrating the accidental attack on the Lusitania he set up to asking America to nuke Moscow in 1945.

The guy was the problem, and his quotes reflect that.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
The short and simple explanation why the U. S. is still in Afghanistan is because it has a lot of precious minerals and rare earth elements, some still waiting to be discovered, and so we don't want to leave and take a chance on some other powerful country gaining control.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM

5,976 posts, read 2,231,274 times
What progress would be expected in Afghanistan? The place is darn near a desert with small villages, mountains, and 1 city that is always under turmoil government wise.

How do many of us know there is no progress? Because there was never any progress to be had outside of driving terrorist out temporarily. Afghanistan does not have the government or man power to police huge areas of mountains and desert.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The short and simple explanation why the U. S. is still in Afghanistan is because it has a lot of precious minerals and rare earth elements, some still waiting to be discovered, and so we don't want to leave and take a chance on some other powerful country gaining control.
Thank You.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:34 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,598,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yeah, Churchill was part of the problem.

You see war according to him is predicated on the pursuit of power and wealth, something Churchill excelled at.

His career didn't begin antagonizing Hitler nor did it end doing so. He went from celebrating the accidental attack on the Lusitania he set up to asking America to nuke Moscow in 1945.

The guy was the problem, and his quotes reflect that.

as far as churchill goes i have read the claimed revisionist history, and am now undecided about Winston..
i am now 64 and spent a lifetime reading history..when i was a little boy i could not comprehend how the soviet union could be our ally in one war to turn around and be a magical hated enemy..made no sense

there was no need for ww1 as Germany would have taken over the leadership role from the English as the Germans had a late start but were economically coming on strong...

the overall impression of humanity is that the majority of us are easily worked up by emotions and manipulated into murderous adventures at the behest of the powerful...

i assume the afgan war is/was about routes for an oil pipeline but i will read your article..

as far as the future i have heard it said that access to cheap power is what has caused the fallout from industrialized capitalism...(an increased overall wealth and lifespan)....

my current thinking is that liquid thorium reactors have the potential to give the human race a better power source..IMO without this better power source humanity is likely to implode within 100 years

Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,046,663 times
US Officials have been lying to the population about everything for so long they don't know how to tell the truth. And the people buy it and keep putting the same liars back in office over and over. Don't you ever listen to campaign speeches ? Not a word of truth is ever spoken.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,798,691 times
Numerous posters including myself, numerous people throughout the years in the media, have been stating the same thing.

Too many damn blind people out there, I cannot comprehend how anyone thinks there has been any real success in an 18 year old conflict like this, and that success is "right around the corner".

While I could right a book on this, my time there and what I learned after;

-those people do not want peace, they do not want the West most of all. US leadership and the voters have failed to understand this. They hate the West, they want no part of our influence. They are not Germany post WW2, not even Japan, they have nothing, never were anything, never will be anything.

-The US gov paying tribal leaders, who in turn shield enemy combatants and even directly participate in attacks against coalition forces is absurdity levels I cannot to this day comprehend.

-Offering actual protection for heroin so we can appease some tribes, yet whine and cry about the US heroin problem, NATO countries whining and crying about their's, and criticizing Russia for complaining about it (who is getting overran by it) is also absurd.

-Oh yea, Pakistan, enemy of the US, yet the US still loves them, Pakistan offers intel, safe refuge, even direct material support for enemy combatants, and the US is actually paying for this through aid for Pakistan.

-Same issues as in Vietnam, the US goes into areas, hey ho everything good to go, leave, and the areas go right back to what they were, full supporters of enemy combatants. On paper though, the US has "secured" the area. Fact is, the coalition forces including the inept Afghan forces, exert zero control over any area of Afghanistan past the range of their small arms.

OK, rambled on enough, just the entire thing disgusts me, and even worse, the supporters who still think we should be involved there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies