Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times

Advertisements

All the debunked fake news propaganda conspiracy theories he peddles to his base is blowing it even more...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cate...y_Donald_Trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Trump was elected President as per our Constitution. That part is true. But the problem is he came in punching way over his weight class - he acted like he had a mandate for change but the problem is he didn't and still doesn't have the majority of the American people behind him. This is the problem with the EC - it puts a person in office who does not have the support of the majority of people. It is not a problem if the President builds consensus for his goals but Trump is not a consensus builder, he tries to bully things, and this is why we are in the situation we are in now.

Here is an example - in January 2018 Pelosi offered Trump $20B for his wall but wanted DACA relief in return. Trump rejected that which started the whole battle over the damn wall. It was a stupid fight and could have been avoided by doing what politicians do, compromise. A President with a strong popular vote could get away with saying my way or the highway, but he didn't have that and the battle of wills has gone ever since.

The politics of today is not the Democrats' fault and anyone who says that is not paying attention. If they lose in 2020 it will largely be because of the economy and the fact that the incumbent is always heavily favored. I wouldn't worry too much about it and I certainly would stop the self-flagellation as if the Dems are a failed party.
I'm not here to troll- not today. But there's no nice way to say this:

This a rather complacent attitude isn't it? Just saying 'hey, it's not our fault- the system is rigged and Trump is mean'

If we don't do better than that, Trump will be signing everything that comes across his desk until January of 2025. What's this country going to look like by then?

We can't be bothered to find common cause with other decent Americans whom we may happen to disagree with... to stop that freight train coming our way??

I've been told by less cynical people that we get the government we deserve. That might be the case here.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Trump was elected President as per our Constitution. That part is true. But the problem is he came in punching way over his weight class - he acted like he had a mandate for change but the problem is he didn't and still doesn't have the majority of the American people behind him. This is the problem with the EC - it puts a person in office who does not have the support of the majority of people. It is not a problem if the President builds consensus for his goals but Trump is not a consensus builder, he tries to bully things, and this is why we are in the situation we are in now.

Here is an example - in January 2018 Pelosi offered Trump $20B for his wall but wanted DACA relief in return. Trump rejected that which started the whole battle over the damn wall. It was a stupid fight and could have been avoided by doing what politicians do, compromise. A President with a strong popular vote could get away with saying my way or the highway, but he didn't have that and the battle of wills has gone ever since.

The politics of today is not the Democrats' fault and anyone who says that is not paying attention. If they lose in 2020 it will largely be because of the economy and the fact that the incumbent is always heavily favored. I wouldn't worry too much about it and I certainly would stop the self-flagellation as if the Dems are a failed party.

Agreed, +1

Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
All the debunked fake news propaganda conspiracy theories he peddles to his base is blowing it even more...

But people believe those conspiracies. It doesn't matter if they are true or not if most people believe them.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post

I'm no fan of of our geriatric orange Caligula, but there are a thousand other threads where you can complain about Trump.

This thread is about the fact that Democrats *refuse* to learn anything from Trump's election.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:08 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm not here to troll- not today. But there's no nice way to say this:

This a rather complacent attitude isn't it? Just saying 'hey, it's not our fault- the system is rigged and Trump is mean'

If we don't do better than that, Trump will be signing everything that comes across his desk until January of 2025. What's this country going to look like by then?

We can't be bothered to find common cause with other decent Americans whom we may happen to disagree with... to stop that freight train coming our way??

I've been told by less cynical people that we get the government we deserve. That might be the case here.

I don't see Two by Four calling the system rigged in that post at all. The incumbent has home field advantage and when the economy is good (like it is now) even more so. Those are just the facts....

Old 12-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Agreed, +1
See my post above. Post #102.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
I hope I'm wrong. But the way things are going, a literally and increasingly demented Trump is going to be in the White House until 2025.

And here's why: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...roblem/573901/

If the Dems continue to beat their identity-politics drum, they'll likely lose me as a voter. They may already have. I voted for Obama fairly enthusiastically once. And a second time with no huge complaints... he was certainly better than the alternative. I even held my nose and voted for Hillary, because she was at the time the only viable candidate who wasn't obviously stupid or mentally ill.

But most of my fellow liberals have learned nothing from the election of Donald Trump. Less than nothing- they've tripled down on everything that lost them the election.

It's a long time til Novermber. But as things stand right now, Vermin Supreme will likely get my vote.

My fellow Liberals would do well to consider the ways in which their party and culture has alienated one of the largest voting blocs in the country. I'll let you guess who that is. How's that working out for ya?
The democrats aren't blowing it.

They just don't have anything to begin with and they are the worst perpetual losers the world has ever witnessed.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I don't see Two by Four calling the system rigged in that post at all.
Really. You're quibbling over semantics. When we're on course for four more years of Trump... unless the stock market crashes.

Think about that. That's DISMAL. And at this point, it's likely to go one way or the other.

But yeah, let's argue over whether 2x4's objections to the Electoral College are really equivalent to saying the system is "rigged".

Old 12-09-2019, 08:13 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
I'm no fan of of our geriatric orange Caligula, but there are a thousand other threads where you can complain about Trump.

This thread is about the fact that Democrats *refuse* to learn anything from Trump's election.
The problem the Democrats have is not with their inability to learn about Trump. The problem that the Democrats have is a stunning lack of self awareness combined with an unwillingness to even consider their need to rectify that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies