Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
So you think everyone should be able to own a nuke? Maybe we should just disband government, because a government by it’s mere existence will be able to exert some force over the people. How about abolishing the police? Sounds good to you?
Owning a nuke just serves as a deterrent, thats how they are used today, nations that own them 'hold' them over the heads of other nations, as a means of keeping the peace, or getting what they want.

Its the ultimate " I could wipe your country off the map" if I wanted to (deterrent). It doesnt mean anyone would actually use them against an enemy though, it would take a very dire situation for nukes to be used, so they are not commonly used weapons of war in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 08:02 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The founding fathers intended for the people to exert power OVER their govt (not the other way around)!
So by your reasoning everyone should own a nuke. If not then you are exerting your force over those who cannot obtain a nuke. Do you think this is a reasonable proposition to put forth? The people are the government. We have checks and balances, show me where they said it is necessary for the people to exert military might over the government.

By recognizing government and law and order, you have agreed to a social contract where there is some power imbalance, now the people can hold their government accountable for unjust laws by our voting process and protest measures. If you think private citizens should have the same weapons as the military I’m afraid that you are too far down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by ecko_complex24; 12-11-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The second amendment means we the people need every weapon developed to keep our government under control. Yes, every man has a right to own nukes.
worked out well in Waco, Texas didn't it?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Why do Govts own them? they exist as a threat mostly, to what the country COULD do. Its nuclear arsenal is touted in showing how powerful a country is.

The same thing would be true if the people had nuclear weapons, they would be used as a deterrent, so govt would think twice about creating any unconstitutional laws.
Nukes are the biggest deterrent.

If Churchill could have leveled Berlin in 12 minutes with the push of a button, Hitler would have never bombed London.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Owning a nuke just serves as a deterrent, thats how they are used today, nations that own them 'hold' them over the heads of other nations, as a means of keeping the peace, or getting what they want.

Its the ultimate " I could wipe your country off the map" if I wanted to (deterrent). It doesnt mean anyone would actually use them against an enemy though, it would take a very dire situation for nukes to be used, so they are not commonly used weapons of war in that regard.
I understand this, don’t you think having a governing body concerning the use of these is important. Do you think by allowing private citizens to own them they would need to go through the layers of controls in order to justify the use of said nuke.

Do you think if people owned nukes we can inhibit them from using them on impulse or acts of terrorism, or are you suggesting a governing body that represents the majority of the people and their interests?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
The same thing would be true if the people had nuclear weapons, they would be used as a deterrent.....

I'm fairly confident a nuclear bomb in the hands of a fundamentalist Islamist/Christian is going off somewhere. There is no rationale or reasoning with those types of people. As far as the limitations on what you may have as citizen I believe there is very easy way to draw a line. If law enforcement can justify it then the citizen can justify it.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm fairly confident a nuclear bomb in the hands of a fundamentalist Islamist/Christian is going off somewhere. As far as the limitations on what you may have as citizen I believe there is very easy way to draw a line. If law enforcement can justify it then the citizen can justify it.
What about a libertarian?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I'm fairly confident a nuclear bomb in the hands of a fundamentalist Islamist/Christian is going off somewhere. There is no rationale or reasoning with those types of people. As far as the limitations on what you may have as citizen I believe there is very easy way to draw a line. If law enforcement can justify it then the citizen can justify it.
What about an environmental extremist?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What about a fundamental Satanist?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
What about a mentally ill person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies