Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times

Advertisements

Is it truly racist to say that white America very suddenly decided to adopt the very worst elements of black culture, for some bizarre reason? (Millions of people, including black scholars, have noted this development and decried it. So I’m not sure how it qualifies as a racist statement. I guess it’s not PC enough??....)

Regardless, this is just one aspect of the total cultural rot that has taken place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
The last ten or twelve years have revealed some ugly truths about America and the state of the citizenry and our national health. A third of us seems to be totally disconnected to reality and quite gullible. Another third seems to be so apathetic and disengaged in civic life that they seem to be sleepwalking through their existence. Another third is heavily engaged but without a focus. There is a good deal of frustration between and within these groups. Our leadership is a sad replica of what it once was. We have all become wholly-owned subsidiaries of corporate America. Social interaction is carried out via keyboards or in our closed bubbles.

OP's concern about gangs is possibly a symptom of the wider social disconnect that we have going on. Americans used to be joiners and socially connected but that has all but dried up.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:17 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I understand where this is coming from, you're a smart young guy but you need to take the 10k view of things and get some perspective. Learn, read history across many nations and many time periods. America has it's flaws many they are, but please give this country the honor of the wide picture reconciliation when we look at the whole history of this nation.
There's a lot of things about our country that are great. But it has blood in it's soil that was spilled for selfish reasons.
I'm not saying that's all we need to look at.

But people saying it like we're some holy country. No dude, our country is built on bloodshed, and some of that blood we spilled for our own interests and we've destabilized other countries, and we're on the verge of doing it again...

OP's issues are trivial. So many different people, different walks of life and he see's the world only through a narrow scope that only highlights what he wants to see...

Old 01-06-2020, 03:45 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I just want people to be normal, is that too hard?

The issue with this statement is who gets to determine what is "normal"?

Old 01-06-2020, 03:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is "gang or thug culture"? Urban gangs have been with us for decades. Ever see West Side Story?
This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iEopZ4RAY

Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I don't mean this to be nasty in any way, but just being realistic --

In my opinion, the U.S. is now more than ever divided into mindsets determined by whether one lives in a urban, suburban, or rural environment even more than it is by income level or geographical area (although those play a part,too). And although I know that it is not "do-able" or even desirable for everyone, I think that if someone is not happy with the predominant attitudes and culture of where one lives, one should move if one can do so.

(And that is one of the two reasons why my husband and I are moving from metro Denver to rural Wisconsin for our retirement, with the other reason being our desire to live in a true four-seasons climate with beautiful scenery.)

Last edited by katharsis; 01-06-2020 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The last ten or twelve years have revealed some ugly truths about America and the state of the citizenry and our national health. A third of us seems to be totally disconnected to reality and quite gullible. Another third seems to be so apathetic and disengaged in civic life that they seem to be sleepwalking through their existence. Another third is heavily engaged but without a focus. There is a good deal of frustration between and within these groups. Our leadership is a sad replica of what it once was. We have all become wholly-owned subsidiaries of corporate America. Social interaction is carried out via keyboards or in our closed bubbles.

OP's concern about gangs is possibly a symptom of the wider social disconnect that we have going on. Americans used to be joiners and socially connected but that has all but dried up.
Our national health... That's why universal health care, M4A, single-payer, whatever you want to call it... will bankrupt the US. More than 2/3 of Americans are overweight/obese, which predisposes them to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc., all of the costliest diseases.

Quote:
Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 71.6%
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

Old 01-06-2020, 08:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Our national health... That's why universal health care, M4A, single-payer, whatever you want to call it... will bankrupt the US. More than 2/3 of Americans are overweight/obese, which predisposes them to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc., all of the costliest diseases.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm
Maybe being fat with a huge stomach sticking out has become real sexy.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:14 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Maybe being fat with a huge stomach sticking out has become real sexy.
Um... NO. That actually only applies in really, really poor countries in which overweight/obesity is considered a sign of wealth because one can't get fat if one can't afford to overeat.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I understand where this is coming from, you're a smart young guy but you need to take the 10k view of things and get some perspective. Learn, read history across many nations and many time periods. America has it's flaws many they are, but please give this country the honor of the wide picture reconciliation when we look at the whole history of this nation.
My point was this. There is this idea of "America was so great until now". I don't believe it. I don't think it's the worst country in the world. At the same time, I'm not one of those "America, #1" kind of persons. America has always had issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies