Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 07:09 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
For the love of Pete, when are the Climate Wingnuts ever going to realize: YOU CAN'T CONTROL 'MOTHER NATURE'?

Not to mention...you can't control the 3+ billion people in China and India who are vomiting carbon into the air like there is literally no tomorrow.

Westerners are total suckers (at least the ones who worry themselves over this cockamamie "climate change" nonsense). Bloody nonsense.
make up your mind....On the one hand you say the cause is "mother nature" then blame the people of China and India as the cause....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
then blame the people of China and India as the cause....
well they are > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png

Old 12-11-2019, 07:24 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
CNN means exactly the opposite is happening.

/thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:48 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, tell us, what must be done to fix the problem?
A lot. Energy production needs to be de-carbonized as rapidly as possible. This includes solar, wind, geothermal, hydrothermal, wave action, nuclear, etc.

Transportation also needs to be de-carbonized as quickly as possible, and there needs to be more mass transit in urban areas (light rail, buses, subways, those sorts of things).

Production/consumption loops need to be closed to cut back on the need to constantly mine new materials. Petroleum based plastics need to be replaced with non-petroleum based plastics (hemp is a good alternative).

Carbon needs to be taxed. Carbon capture needs to be implemented. Re-forestation efforts need to be ramped way up.

People need to eat less meat. Animal products (meat, dairy, eggs, etc.) should be sourced locally. Plant products should be sourced locally too when possible but even imported plant based foods have a far smaller footprint than meat products.

In short we have to rethink how our society works. What we are doing is unsustainable. Full stop. However, this does not mean that everyone needs to give up all modernity and live like a bunch of luddites, because that is ridiculous.

There is no denying that fossil fuel driven capitalism has lead to the uplifting out of poverty of many millions, if not billions, of people around the world. This is a good thing. What is not a good thing is the perpetuation of a system that we now know is detrimental to continued development, and a system in which the cost to benefit ratio is no longer in our favor.

Permafrost is melting, glaciers are in retreat, seas are rising, animals are going extinct, extreme weather events are becoming more common, costs for natural disaster relief is spiraling out of control, and the world's poor are bearing a lopsided burden of these problems that are not of their making.

These are societal issues that will only be solved by clear vision and strong leadership. If the US actually got serious about this problem and actually enacted meaningful policy changes to address what is happening the rest of the world would follow us.

As it stands we're too hung up on "them" not doing enough. And to that I say, why would you expect them to do anything different if there is no incentive not to?

One way or the other though, the reality of the situation we face will force us to change one way or the other. The only question is how bad will we let it get before we decide to do something about it, and what will be lost as a result? Boomers, and even Millennials, won't have to deal with effects that are really too bad, but there are plenty of people alive today who will live to see the year 2100, and on our current trajectory that will not be a great time to be alive.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Is there any Truth to this story or is CNN as usual talking out their you know what!

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...190932882.html
I vote "you know what!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all our fault! We invented electricity, lights, modern society! We should pay reparations for making the entire world a better place to live.

I vote we take all the tech away from the cancel culture. It's simply too dangerous to be in the hands of morons.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can we just consider that if the air temperature is 33 degF, that there will be virtually no ice melt? The claim that air temperature 1 degF over freezing is going to turn the Arctic in to a swimming pool is nuts - especially from a scientist.
My friend Cathy felt a lump in her breast and was going to go to an oncologist. I told her, "Cathy, please, what do those quacks know." I sent her to my daughters kindergarten teacher who is into crystal healing. I kept my mouth shut at her funeral.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
So you at least agree that CO2 is warming the planet, and climate change is the result.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
My friend Cathy felt a lump in her breast and was going to go to an oncologist. I told her, "Cathy, please, what do those quacks know." I sent her to my daughters kindergarten teacher who is into crystal healing. I kept my mouth shut at her funeral.

See the last of my above post.

YOU are exactly the wrong type to have a voice. That was freakin stupid as hell.

You have no friend named Cathy, who died of cancer. I'll bet you have no daughter; however, I fear you might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
A lot. Energy production needs to be de-carbonized as rapidly as possible. This includes solar, wind, geothermal, hydrothermal, wave action, nuclear, etc.
3rd and 4th generation nuke is the only solution. Solar and Wind are killing birds and mammals by the millions. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

Nuclear is the only viable solution, yet... the planet hugers hate it.

Hence the "caveman" solution. Let's all move into a cave and die by 25. SOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you at least agree that CO2 is warming the planet, and climate change is the result.

A warm planet is a cozy planet. This joint has been far hotter than this in the past. No mass extinction is attributed to heat, but cold? YEP!

At least three ice ages have almost wiped out the entire planet of life.

If you want to save the planet keep pumping Co2!!!

Old 12-11-2019, 09:30 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post

YOU are exactly the wrong type to have a voice. That was freakin stupid as hell.

You have no friend named Cathy, who died of cancer. I'll bet you have no daughter; however, I fear you might.

3rd and 4th generation nuke is the only solution. Solar and Wind are killing birds and mammals by the millions. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

A warm planet is a cozy planet. This joint has been far hotter than this in the past. No mass extinction is attributed to heat, but cold? YEP!

Do you really believe these things? Like, deep, down in your core?

Old 12-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post

Obviously you are unaware that the 6th major extinction event is underway, and humans are the cause.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cientists-warn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies