Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Please cite your sources
I'm not the poster you asked, but here is one source:

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 04:12 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
What is with this whole thing to shut people up just because they have experienced some success in their lives.
green mariner has had limited success, personally or professionally per his own posts, and had every privilege an American can hope for. his lack of success is not due to black skin color discrimination was my point.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:42 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
What is with this whole thing to shut people up just because they have experienced some success in their lives. That doesn't mean that they don't have to deal with discrimination. That doesn't mean that they don't have personal experiences that harms them in some way. This is trivializing people's experiences just because you deem that they have succeeded on a monetary level. I haven't seen this poster blaming others for their personal failures. Try to step outside your own shoes for a minute.
I look at what said person did with your post and my post. Said person took little bits and ignored other, more crucial parts. That is why said person got really personal. I come from a 2 parent home, a middle class background. My father is having a good career. I've also seen times when my father got laid off from his job. I have had my up times, and some hard times. Currently things are up. Being educated and coming from a middle class background doesn't shield a person from discrimination, either in the job market or in other ways.

Said person decided to get personal when I mentioned that I don't enjoy getting offended. Said person just didn't like my stance towards Confederate monuments. And said person didn't like what you said. Taking bits and pieces of our statements and ignoring larger, crucial parts, it's a sign of gaslighting.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:57 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Don't think they should be erased from history though.

Its cool to protest or even better, bring up debates & discussions.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
. A majority of Blacks view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism. Think about that for a moment.
That's because it is actually a symbol of racism and pro-slavery. It's astounding to me that some whites don't understand this, perhaps they weren't well educated or didn't learn history?

Old 12-12-2019, 06:16 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's because it is actually a symbol of racism and pro-slavery. It's astounding to me that some whites don't understand this, perhaps they weren't well educated or didn't learn history?

No, it is Progressives trying to dictate to private property and business owner on what they can do and say. It must make you FEEL better to control others. So, you in effect are acting like slave owners by forcing people to give up their traditions through MEDIA and PUBLIC PC, Woke, SJW pressure,

Get a LIFE.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:40 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Quote:
I look at what said person did with your post and my post. Said person took little bits and ignored other, more crucial parts. That is why said person got really personal. I come from a 2 parent home, a middle class background. My father is having a good career. I've also seen times when my father got laid off from his job. I have had my up times, and some hard times. Currently things are up. Being educated and coming from a middle class background doesn't shield a person from discrimination, either in the job market or in other ways.

Said person decided to get personal when I mentioned that I don't enjoy getting offended. Said person just didn't like my stance towards Confederate monuments. And said person didn't like what you said. Taking bits and pieces of our statements and ignoring larger, crucial parts, it's a sign of gaslighting.
Exactly, I was a bit suspicious that the poster only quoted part of my post. That is a good point, being a middle class, educated person doesn't shield them from discrimination. Especially, if said person is from a historically marginalized group, which still ties to this day. This is tantamount to people getting triggered over the NFL protests and pointing to their salaries to try to highlight that they don't have any problems or experience discrimination. They say you make millions so you have nothing to bi*&h about essentially.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:52 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Or maybe people like me really are "offended" because of what it represents. Being a Black man, I will tell you what represents to me. I think about my ancestors who were forced to pick cotton,sugar cane,etc on those plantations. I think about how my ancestors who were enslaved. I think about how I would have been a slaved. I don't see anything good. It's certainly a culture I want nothing to do with. I decide what offends me and I'm likely offended for a reason. And yes, I'm one of those persons who would love to see monuments that honor Confederate soldiers taken down and gone from public places. I have a disdain for all things Confederate and I refuse to apologize for it.
I think about my slave ancestors, too. Also, I realized that as 1/8 black people, Sally Hemings children were still slaves. I am well aware that if I were alive at that time in history, I might have also been a slave.

I also think of my Native American Indian ancestors, too, and know they didn't have it easy. Heck, my white ancestors didn't have it easy either. None of them came from the aristocracy.

The thing is, it sounds like you constantly agonize over what your ancestors went through to the point where it consumes you. You can't change what happened to them. None of us can change those facts about our ancestors.

I do know one thing, and that is this --- Due to fate, I was born in the US and due to that, I had a better life than I would have had in Africa. Some of my European ancestors were from countries that ended up behind the Iron Curtain. Had things been different for me, I could have ended up in that situation.

I've learned from my father that when confronted with discrimination or sexism, to not keep that chip on your shoulder. Never let anyone who treated you badly define who you are. Keep moving forward. For example, back in the 1940s my father went looking for part-time jobs. He, as a HS student, was looking to bus tables or wash dishes. In many places, he went they took one look at him and said "We don't hire Puerto Ricans". He didn't give up in despair. Instead, he moved on and kept trying until he did find a job. He went on to serve in WWII then attended college using the GI Bill. All which lead to a successful white collar job working for the government.

I would like to visit a former plantation that is now a museum. While my slave ancestors were in the Caribbean, they did have similar lives. For me, it would be educational to visit a plantation, and yes, I could imagine my ancestors in similar circumstances. Keeping former plantations around will remind us all of what the past was like as they stand as a way to make sure this part of our history will never be repeated.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:07 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes sir! Welllll {church}

I have nothing really to add. I find it painful.

It's time to leave the past behind us

It was another time and place.

These are just buildings, brick, wood and mortar.

Although ugly, plantations are just a part of our history. Just like everything that has happened in the past, good or bad!

Old 12-12-2019, 07:33 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Especially if you're white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies