Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 11:02 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times

Advertisements

As michelle Obama said in 2008, 'we have to rewrite our history'.... now we know what she meant and also know why the media never questioned such an odd statement. The birth of the media propaganda machine 2008!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 11:09 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am also the descendant of African slaves. This is ridiculous.

I have a great respect for history...good, bad and ugly. Destroying historical places and things en masse because of a difficult legacy is wrong and counter productive. Black people also own former plantations and use them as bed and breakfast/wedding venues. Black and mixed race couples also get married at plantation wedding venues.

This campaign against Southern heritage sites is very misguided.
Well, this is how I see it. I have no respect for the old plantation culture. There are things that came out of the South that I love and respect, such as blues, jazz, country music, bluegrass, those contributions of southern culture, I respect. I can respect a place like Gatlinburg or Dollywood.

Plantation culture, I can't respect. I would have been a slave on the plantations. The Deep South plantation culture is a culture that tried to

Here is the thing. Turning an old plantation into a B&B, that is one thing. Trying to glorify the old plantation culture, I couldn't do that. I could preserve the old plantation, and use it to teach people what really happened, show plantation culture for what it is. Plantation-theme weddings, I could never do.

There is something more you should think about. A majority of Black Americans are from the South. And most Blacks (about 90%) have southern roots. I hardly ever see Blacks (southern or not) claim the old plantation culture as part of their southern heritage. Whose southern heritage are we really talking about?

Old 12-11-2019, 11:13 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Another case of those genetically/culturally linked to those who owned plantations are very proud of those who owned plantations and just want to show it off a little, or a lot.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:19 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
In other words do what was done in the novel 1984, shove it down the Memory Hole and pretend that it didn't exist.
Slavery, you mean? The image of the plantation that's presented has every vestige of the suffering and inhumanity that made those admittedly lovely buildings clinically scrubbed.

If the commandant of a concentration camp had a nice set of quarters built for himself, would that make a good wedding venue?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 12-11-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Another case of those genetically/culturally linked to those who owned plantations are very proud of those who owned plantations and just want to show it off a little, or a lot.
This is how I see things. Those plantations, I don't see much to be proud of at all. The plantations might look elegant, but when your link to the plantations includes your ancestors being slaves, it doesn't seem so elegant. Plantation photos being prohibited from major grocery store websites, that's fine by me.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is how I see it. I have no respect for the old plantation culture. There are things that came out of the South that I love and respect, such as blues, jazz, country music, bluegrass, those contributions of southern culture, I respect. I can respect a place like Gatlinburg or Dollywood.

Plantation culture, I can't respect. I would have been a slave on the plantations. The Deep South plantation culture is a culture that tried to

Here is the thing. Turning an old plantation into a B&B, that is one thing. Trying to glorify the old plantation culture, I couldn't do that. I could preserve the old plantation, and use it to teach people what really happened, show plantation culture for what it is. Plantation-theme weddings, I could never do.

There is something more you should think about. A majority of Black Americans are from the South. And most Blacks (about 90%) have southern roots. I hardly ever see Blacks (southern or not) claim the old plantation culture as part of their southern heritage. Whose southern heritage are we really talking about?
I am in agreement with you. They built an economy and culture off the enslavement, degradation, denigration and humiliation of a race of people......and the plantation was the symbol of that. I am not saying that those plantations should be burnt down.....but are not respecting the inhumanity of these edifices.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-11-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 11:29 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
This is how I see things. Those plantations, I don't see much to be proud of at all. The plantations might look elegant, but when your link to the plantations includes your ancestors being slaves, it doesn't seem so elegant. Plantation photos being prohibited from major grocery store websites, that's fine by me.

Giving you a rep on this. I don't need to be forced neither expected to ooooh and aaaah over plantation photos.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
Quote:
I admit that I'm very intolerant towards anything glorifying the old plantation way of life. I make no apologies for it. As someone who is a descendant of slaves, I have no respect for it.
I'm not a descendant of slaves and I am not black, but I completely agree with you. Plantations should not be glorified and romanticized and neither should the word "plantation" be used in the same way for new housing developments and golf clubs.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And not being able to take a Knee during the national anthem is the prerequisite course to PC 101.
Who can't take a knee during the national anthem?

Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
So "Plantation" will become "Estate" and life will go on. It's just another word police action by people pretending it matters and that they care deeply. They don't, nobody actually does, but easy targets are the best targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies