Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 12:32 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Hey, if it makes all the statue objectors feel any better, the same VA Museum of Fine Arts maintains the largest public collection of Faberge eggs and Russian decorative arts outside of Russia, in the world. That ought to balance out the statute somewhat, da?
Actually, I'm okay with seeing Faberge eggs and matryoshka dolls (I own a matroyshka). It's Confederate statues I want to see torn down, forever.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:52 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I'm okay with seeing Faberge eggs and matryoshka dolls (I own a matroyshka). It's Confederate statues I want to see torn down, forever.
Eh, my city is full of them. The ladies groups put wreaths on the graves in the Confederate Cemetery at Christmas and Memorial Day. It's a big tourist draw at this point. "The South will never die, yada, yada". Whatever. I just plant the gardens at the Colonial-era historic houses instead.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:56 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not the point. That's not how southerners look at the war monuments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Considering people in the south are in fact voting and petitioning to relocate these statues maybe not all southerners see things your way.
Something tells me that mtl1 may have a more narrow definition of southerner.

Anyway, here's an example of the US Army erasing history and destroying heritage:

It seemed quite a popular idea at the time.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Anyway, here's an example of the US Army erasing history and destroying heritage:

Well you're not going to see me to defend the Iraq war or Bush. The Civil War is a totally historically different matter. Are you just trying to cast shade on the US army?

Old 12-12-2019, 01:25 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
weird but if it keeps them from rioting and looting then good
Well, all those Confederate statues didn't prevent white Southerners from burning crosses and having lynching parties.

And when a local government decided to take down a statue of Lee, in Charlottesville, a whole lot of aggreviated white folks decided to get frisky - not too long ago.

So who's doing the rioting?

Last edited by silverkris; 12-12-2019 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2019, 01:25 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
This doesn't even make sense. Virginia was a Confederate state and would NOT have had black men on horses, fighting for the South. (And I doubt they had dreadlocks at the time.) Is the "rumor" supposed to be that Virginia let their slaves join the army and fight against slavery?
No dear, you are making stuff up. Before commenting and disparaging and criticizing, perhaps you should read the accompanying article in the OP as opposed to revealing what you do not know.

( Full disclosure, I lived in Richmond Virginia for several years about 45 years ago...and times had certainly changed, I noted, when I returned to live in Williamsburg, down the road, for several more years about 10 years ago)

Change, that indeed is what the latest statue is all about. It has been installed not far from a historic area called Monument Avenue...perhaps one of the best known places for massive Confederate statues in all of the South.

Rachael, the newest statue is a depiction of a contemporary black man on horseback....he is not wearing Civil War- era clothing. Richmond has a complicated history if you recall. It was both the capital of the Confederacy and the major center for the slave trade. This statue is not supposed to be about any one person but rather to symbolize change and progress.
* per the artist: "It's about America 2.0. It is about a society that can say yes to black men and their place in that society."
* per the Governor of Virginia: "Today we say welcome to a progressive and inclusive Virginia"
* per the Mayor of Richmond: "We've got the good, the bad and the ugly in our complex history, this monument establishes that our city is not living in the past, but embracing the future and the good."

No rumor, no conspiracy, nothing that should cause you fear and anger.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 12-12-2019 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The Civil War is a totally historically different matter.
Try to verbalize why taking down a statue of Lee is a bad act of "erasing history" and why taking down a statue of Hussein isn't. Or, if the Hussein example is not to your liking, a statue of Lenin. When the Latvians tore down the monuments to communism, were they committing an act of mere vandalism?

Old 12-12-2019, 01:47 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:

If it's a statue of Robert E. Lee being torn down, right on!! Tear that abomination down!! All schools that are named for Robert E. Lee, they need to be renamed, period. No excuses.

And this isn't sarcasm on my part. I mean what I say about Robert E. Lee.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Try to verbalize why taking down a statue of Lee is a bad act of "erasing history" and why taking down a statue of Hussein isn't. Or, if the Hussein example is not to your liking, a statue of Lenin. When the Latvians tore down the monuments to communism, were they committing an act of mere vandalism?
Look General Lee is seen as a great American General who was fighting for his home state and nearly won the war against all odds. He was a man of his era and most people aren't even thinking about the slavery aspect. I don't see any similarity to the foreign dictators of the more recent era. And frankly I don't care what foreigners do in their countries. I wished foreigners here would stop butting into things too.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it's a statue of Robert E. Lee being torn down, right on!! Tear that abomination down!! All schools that are named for Robert E. Lee, they need to be renamed, period. No excuses.

And this isn't sarcasm on my part. I mean what I say about Robert E. Lee.
You're a tolerant and live and let live fellow . I don't know why you remain in the south if you dislike the heritage there so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies