Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 11:15 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Virginia is turning into a liberal cesspool, led by the "black-face" governor whom the Democrats have all forgiven.
Yeah, they're canceling the holiday honoring the Confederacy and instituting election day as holiday instead. The lower classes may get time off to vote, I can see how worrisome that is.

https://kvia.com/your-voice-your-vot...y-off-instead/

Old 03-02-2020, 11:30 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Virginia is turning into a liberal cesspool, led by the "black-face" governor whom the Democrats have all forgiven.
If Virginia is so bad, then what would you call Mississippi?

Old 03-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, they're canceling the holiday honoring the Confederacy and instituting election day as holiday instead. The lower classes may get time off to vote, I can see how worrisome that is.

https://kvia.com/your-voice-your-vot...y-off-instead/
Virginia is doing the right thing. More people need to vote. More people need to get involved in the democratic process. Of course, I understand why some people would be angered by Robert E. Lee/Stonewall Jackson Day being cancelled would anger some people. Some people still wish the South had won. Some people wish slavery had continued on for alot longer. Some people still wish Jim Crow was still around.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:00 PM

374 posts, read 146,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No. I read the link. I just never developed this nebulous way of looking at "art" that looks for all these hidden meanings and statements. I'm certain you have this trait though, a d can ooo and ahhh at a large canvas splattered with various color paints the "artist" hurled with a home made catapult and see a dissertation on man's inhumanity to man.

I have a different sort of view about what constitutes "art". Just for the helluvit I just have to toss out that your particular take on this statue is hardly the last word on the subject. Nor is mine or anyone else's. Opinions vary on such things. Such is as it is.

You choose to see what this statues creator was going for. Some sort of statement about a rise from oppression to a grand and triumphant rise to present a d future glory. OK. So happy for the pair of you.

I see a representation of a guy in modern mode of dress considered fashionable amongst street ruffian types on the back of quite a good looking equine looking VERY out of place on said animal. A ...situation...that if were to happen in real life would probably wind up with said ruffian hanging on to whatever handy point on the saddle is available (I didnt identify the specific tack on the horse) but still winding up dismounting in an undignified manner in the end.

So much for...context.
The meaning wasn't hidden or nebulous. Artist stated it explicitly.

Paint splatter on canvas? I don't like it.

"Choose to see what the creator was going for" ? I didn't have to choose. Artist said why.

Article excerpt:

"Wiley said the statue wasn’t a tribute to any one individual.

"Instead, he said, it is about 'about black men and their place in this society. And in a much broader way, a society that can say yes to black men and their place in THIS society.' ”
emphasis added.

English saddles - no place for the hand to grab? lol. You're a practical guy. I like it.

With art, though, not sure its necessary to be so literal. Might miss a bigger concept.

But, art is subjective and everyone's entitled to see what they want.

Last edited by PerditaPanthera; 03-02-2020 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-02-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I find it funny how you attribute only (R's) being the ones who objected. Others such as Daughter of the Confederacy were on hand, and traditionally they have been affiliated with the (D's).
The persons who were ardently pro-Confederate before the 1960s were Democrats, southern Democrats in particular. Today, however, the persons defending and being pro-Confederate the most are Republicans.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:21 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Well have to schedule a date to topple it. If it offends, it must come down!

Old 03-02-2020, 05:46 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerditaPanthera View Post
The meaning wasn't hidden or nebulous. Artist stated it explicitly.

Paint splatter on canvas? I don't like it.

"Choose to see what the creator was going for" ? I didn't have to choose. Artist said why.

Article excerpt:

"Wiley said the statue wasn’t a tribute to any one individual.

"Instead, he said, it is about 'about black men and their place in this society. And in a much broader way, a society that can say yes to black men and their place in THIS society.' ”
emphasis added.

English saddles - no place for the hand to grab? lol. You're a practical guy. I like it.

With art, though, not sure its necessary to be so literal. Might miss a bigger concept.

But, art is subjective and everyone's entitled to see what they want.

I'm long time horseman. I grew up looking at life between a horses ears. Working cattle, riding fence, and just riding cuz I like it. I've ridden two types of tack. Western and calvary. The Mclellan outfit.

One thing that my Dad drilled into me is NOT to hang on to any point on the saddle. Sometimes there may be a need if a horse gets squirrelly. Other than that...its just not done. Your legs are your connection point.

English tack is not my style. I love the Mclellan. Most comfortable saddle ever made for horse and rider. English (which is what is on the statue horse) is a difficult rig to sit. The stirrups suck. The seats ok but meh.

Anyway yea I tend to look at things practically. I can say with certainty the rider on that statue would be hating life after a very short time. LOL, you dont ride in basketball shoes. Unless you like pain.

The artist did a good job with the horse. If it was an image of Bass Reeves on it I would cheer his work. The man is legend with us cowboy types. And he was in fact a brave, real life, Black man , a former slave, rose to glory.

I'm just one of those folks who like real stories told in art. Charles Russell and Frederick Remington sort of stuff.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:54 PM

I think about this. The statue could have been done better. On the other hand, the very persons complaining about the statue, how many feel the same way about the statues of Confederate soldiers adorning some courthouses in the South?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Ehh. I've seen uglier public art. A guy on a horse doesn't bother me.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ehh. I've seen uglier public art. A guy on a horse doesn't bother me.
I'm not especially fond of it. I think there are better statues that could be up. I wouldn't mind a statue of a Black cowboy. On the other hand, at least it's not a Confederate statue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies