Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
"Oakland considers housing the homeless on a cruise ship"
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oakland-h...is-cruise-ship

What could go wrong?
What could go wrong you ask? Plenty. Has anyone here on this site been temporarily assigned to live on a ship? I have (4 months) and it's worse than imaginable. Plus.....the cost, time and effort to operate, maintain, clean, police, etc etc, etc. a ship vs a land based structure is at least 10x more intense in comparison.

This is by fare the absolute dumbest idea these liberal democrat run cities have come up with. I say let them do it. I'm always in the mood to watch a democrat-liberal run train wreck. And this will be a Jim-Dandy of one.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
I thought I heard many want to get rid of things like high rise low income housing for things like crime and conditions much of which comes from living in close quarters. This is just taking a vertical problem and making a horizontal one with some maritime make-up.

I could see making it temporary housing, administrative facilities,or a clinic of somekind but permanent residential housing eh.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 AM

590 posts, read 932,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
What if California didn't invite so many illegals into their state and instead created programs to help the homeless become employed and get back on their feet again? What if?
What if we didn't spend $23 Billion in 2018 alone to support illegal aliens? What if we didn't put the rights of the homeless ahead of the rights of the taxpaying home owners and renters? Let's see...our schools would be higher performing, our streets wouldn't smell like crap and be littered with needles, our schools could be modernized, our gas tax could go down, we could partly subsidize the cost of going to university so even the cheapest, least prestigious universities weren't 25k a year. Property taxes would be lower, income tax would be lower, sales tax would be lower. I mean, the list goes on.

But watch our Mr. Durango, Colorado is becoming more Californicated every year.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
This is a silly idea. Anyone who has owned and kept a boat in salt water for any length of time can confirm this.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 AM

52,279 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's like Section 8 housing. If I owned a Cruise ship no way in heck would I lease it to the city to house homeless.

After they are out the destruction, the fumigating and the cleanup would be massive. No way could the city gurantee the ship would be returned in it's original condition.

I guess if you had a ship ready for the scrap metal it might be a way to get big bucks out of Oakland and the taxpayers.
They were talking about it here on local So Cal radio. It was proposed with a boat that was about to be decommissioned as I understand it.

The homeless advocacy is quickly becoming an industry here in CA. It's big business to get into the helping the homeless. Real estate developers are looking to charge the city 600k to building a single housing unit for the homeless. They fight any and all groups that propose much much cheaper solutions.

It's all a big money making racket here.

If getting these people off of the streets is much cheaper using an older decommissioned cruise ship, it's something that should be investigated in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
What if California didn't invite so many illegals into their state and instead created programs to help the homeless become employed and get back on their feet again? What if?
The homeless aren't likely to vote.

Illegals granted citizenship and their next two generations are guaranteed DNC voters and likely to vote.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Self contained, controlled access, ample common space, an infirmary and kitchen, and possibly maintained by a crew of residents -- might work. They could go on cruises, too.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
I give them props for thinking outside the box but there are many many details to iron out.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:09 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Well, I'd imagine the ship would be ruined in short order, and also be a haven for drugs, property crime and assault.

Other than that, sounds good.
Get all the human refuse onboard, then surreptitiously tow it out to sea and then open the seacocks. Problem solved.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
They were talking about it here on local So Cal radio. It was proposed with a boat that was about to be decommissioned as I understand it.

The homeless advocacy is quickly becoming an industry here in CA. It's big business to get into the helping the homeless. Real estate developers are looking to charge the city 600k to building a single housing unit for the homeless. They fight any and all groups that propose much much cheaper solutions.

It's all a big money making racket here.

If getting these people off of the streets is much cheaper using an older decommissioned cruise ship, it's something that should be investigated in my opinion.
The truth of the matter is, it's not cheaper, but it is much more expensive by at least 10 times compared to a land based housing. Everything about it is more. Everything! What if a fire breaks out? It takes special fire fighting skills and systems to fight ship board fires compared to fighting fires on land. Sewage waste management/control and upkeep is another. Policing and security is yet another. Ventilation is yet another. Supplying the ship with heat/cooling, fresh air, hot/cold water, refrigeration, electricity, trash, sewage, etc. etc. services is also a very expensive and time consuming operation.

Let them do it, I say. It's going to be a total disaster, but I'm down with that since these are liberal democrat leadership ideas and operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies