Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 06:00 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Dont feel bad o.p. there are probably more than a few congress idiots (not calling you one) who dont understand the process either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 06:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
I disagree. The nation has been paying close attention towards CA/NV/CO since legalization, Given that just in ie; Las Vegas alone marijuana raised over $69m dollars in under a year, Funding which is used to improve schools/cities infrastructure etc. At this point i wouldn't be surprised if the reddest of states (IA/TX) legalized it given how much it would benefit their citizens and their cities; That's without even including any potential farming jobs that come along if legalized on a federal level.
To the GOP though it's about protecting the moral fabric of society and that's more important than the economic benefit of legalizing. GOP politicians don't want to have to answer to their evangelical Christian base for why they voted for the devil's lettuce to be legalized. It's going to take either a Democratic trifecta or 15-20 years for a younger, more libertarian, less religious Republican Party to emerge before it will be legalized. I hope I'm wrong because I'd really like to see it legalized but as it stands right now, it's just not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Lastly, We've been hearing of all the negative side-effects caused by Juul's/vape pens sold by big tobacco; I'm almost willing to bet people are becoming more open minded to finding safer/natural alternatives.
I think this could easily be spun in the other direction though. I think the Democrats and legalization proponents need to really promote that legalization is the answer to this problem, not a return to prohibition.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:10 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
MJ should be legalized if and only if the users are made to bear the costs of resulting health care needs.

Increasing evidence shows that there is a link between MJ use and psychosis, especially with the hi-potency strains that have become available. What we have now is not your baby-boomer grandpa's 1960s weed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marijua...s-study-finds/
Sure if they do the same to alcohol and cigarette smoking....

https://tobaccofreelife.org/resource...na-vs-tobacco/

"The marijuana smoke vs. tobacco smoke issue seems irrelevant because smoking in any form is bad. However, research appears to show that while marijuana smoking is still dangerous, it is less so than smoking tobacco. The biggest advantage marijuana has over tobacco, though, is that people who use it medicinally or recreationally (where allowed by law) don’t have to smoke it."

There are some studies for comparisons on the dangers of marijuana smoking.. however because it is on the schedule 1 list in the US, that makes it very difficult to conduct such studies state side. DOH!

There is hi-potency MJ written all over the article... not all weed is hi-potency.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
They legalized hemp here. The problem all LE is having, is that the cost to test for THC content. So they cannot afford to arrest people for pot here, because it has to be tested before the cuffs go on, or be confiscated.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:00 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The only safer alternative is not ingesting a mind altering substance. To think otherwise is ignorant.

To make it legal. People think its going to be ok to drive while high, or no more drug screening before a job, or no random testing while on the job. Its still, fail and you're out. Legal is not a free high.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:03 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Weed will just make everyone more dumb, especially young men is their early 20's. When K-2 was released it caused their lives to be ruined. So many are now homeless, because they are hooked and don't know how to get a job.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:03 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Saw that this passed yesterday 24-10!

Im assuming it goes into effect immediately.
This my friends, is your brain on pot.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:08 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
been hearing about the mary j wanna for 50 years been 20 plus since i smoked any..its virtually available everywhere were i live from what i hear the legal marywanna costs MORE and yes the stuff is a different animal than it once was

Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Marijuana will NOT be legalized in the US any time soon, if ever.
I hope not. That will give the pot heads time to prepare a Federal case where they maintain that the Fed govt has no constitutional authority to regulate MJ or other substances, and so Federal restrictions on MJ are unconstitutional. All the MJ-law-supporters can counter with, is "Well, MJ is bad stuff, so we can override constitutional commands in this case."

And if the druggies win that one.....

.....do you have any idea how many other things the Fed is doing, that they have no constitutional authority for?

* Running retirement programs
* running healthcare programs outside govt employees and military
* regulating workplace conditions
* regulating firearms
* regulating environmental conditions

... just to name a few. There are many more. All are reserved to the states... which means forbidden for the Feds to mess with.

So, go Feds! Vote down that MJ bill! In the long run it will be the best thing you can do for the country.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:12 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I hope not. That will give the pot heads time to prepare a Federal case where they maintain that the Fed govt has no constitutional authority to regulate MJ or other substances, and so Federal restrictions on MJ are unconstitutional. All the MJ-law-supporters can counter with, is "Well, MJ is bad stuff, so we can override constitutional commands in this case."

And if the druggies win that one.....

.....do you have any idea how many other things the Fed is doing, that they have no constitutional authority for?

* Running retirement programs
* running healthcare programs outside govt employees and military
* regulating workplace conditions
* regulating firearms
* regulating environmental conditions

... just to name a few. There are many more. All are reserved to the states... which means forbidden for the Feds to mess with.

So, go Feds! Vote down that MJ bill! In the long run it will be the best thing you can do for the country.

the sticker is a court has to agree to hear the case lol good luck on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies