Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 11:13 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh, you're way too polite.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like one, it's a pretty good chance it's a duck.
You can apply that to yourself, Mr. so-called Asian-Mexican. Anyone with half a brain can see by your words below that you aren't Asian. Asians aren't hostile like you are, they tend to be polite and respectful and they have no interest in defending Latinos here illegally or otherwise.

"Well, I was born and raised in Santa Clara County, California, a state that was once part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire before that - SO IT'S A PART and PARCEL OF WHO I AM. IT'S HOME".

What does the above have to do with your claims of being Asian? NOTHING! It's exactly what a Mexican would say that it's their home because once Mexico held it. The word parcel and it being part of being who you are is so telling. You were referring to Mexicans not Asians. Do you think we were born yesterday? It would have nothing to do with an Asian! What does Mexico once holding the area that you live in have to with Asians or the statement that because of that it's a part and parcel of who you are and that makes it your home? That would mean you are Mexican or some other Latino, not Asian. You and yours are just trying to twist words and meanings now to cover up your incriminating statement.

Come on guy, just admit the truth and be done with it!

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-20-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 11:15 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
While it's clear to see that Black and White Americans are different, when compared to other cultures their not that different because 1. shared language and 2. very mixed geographically has erased many of the early cultural differences. It used to be in the U.S before the 1930s someone from Maine could have a hard time just understanding some from Georgia, even though they spoke the same language and their are still glimpses of this today. But shared language/ religion/semi-shared geography/ shared food and even shared traditions for the most part has lead for these two groups to be synonymous with the "American" stereotype. Their are differences in culture and religion but outside of certain other cultural aspects Black Americans are essentially Canadians in America, when compared to White Americans. Canadians --> White Americans --> Black Americans differ from each other equally IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. White and black Americans are connected in many ways that other cultures are not, including sharing and speaking our nation's common language.
As I said earlier and implied by the person you quoted, 2nd and 3rd generations children of the recent immigrants of this country will go through the same. White and Black Americans have so much in common in culture and language specifically because many generations have passed from the original immigrant ancestors.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:15 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
You can apply that to yourself, Mr. so-called Asian-Mexican. Anyone with half a brain can see by your words below that you aren't Asian. Asians aren't hostile like you are, they tend to be polite and respecteful and they have no interest in defending Latinos here illegally or otherwise.

Trolling at its finest or worst? You Decide (Stole that from O'Reilly but i like it).

Old 12-20-2019, 11:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
You can apply that to yourself, Mr. so-called Asian-Mexican. Anyone with half a brain can see by your words below that you aren't Asian. Asians aren't hostile like you are, they tend to be polite and respectful and they have no interest in defending Latinos here illegally or otherwise.

"Well, I was born and raised in Santa Clara County, California, a state that was once part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire before that - SO IT'S A PART and PARCEL OF WHO I AM. IT'S HOME".

What does the above have to do with your claims of being Asian? NOTHING!

Come on guy, just admit the truth and be done with it!
So all Asians are alike?

Old 12-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
No, you are wrong. It might have been the case 100 years ago but most from Polish and other Eastern European countries do speak English in public today. For one thing there has been very little immigration from that part of the world for decades now. It's a fact that those from those areas of the world are white and when they first came here they made every effort to assimilate into our society. Not so with they type of "immigrants" we are getting today.
I'm teaching English right now to one of my Russian friends... I assure you most of those Eastern European countries struggling with the English language just as much as Spanish speaking immigrants. A high school friend of mine, married a German national and is teaching English to adults in Germany.... so obviously there are people in Germany who don't speak English.

I mentioned earlier that I speak a little Spanish, Russian, Korean, and Portuguese.

You are totally incorrect. I still think you need to travel more.

PS> That friend of mine is Russian born and moved to Spain for 8 years. She is fluent in Spanish but not in English which is how i communicate with her. Spanish Speaking White Eastern European! You'd probably have a hissy fit if you ran into her... lol Another Russian friend of mine learned English in Australia.... very good english with a heavy accent. She too didn't know english when she left her town along the border of Finland. Their languages is Russian, Finnish and Swedish. Most recent eastern europeans I know (quite a few and dated a couple) all didn't have fluency in English when they arrived here. Neither did my Brazilian and Korean immigrant friends.... Many can eventually speak but cannot write.

Last edited by usayit; 12-20-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 11:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Your right, I said holdover from slavery but meant more as a holdover from segregation, which I consider itself to derive from the slave context. I know most churches in the U.S aren't a 100 years+ old but many are 50+ years old in terms of the actual church and not necessarily the building and that what I meant from holdover from slavery. It was poor word choice on my part. I know a significant part of AA history and churches just because it's required reading in many of my HS and college classes and I also research American which is African American history in my spare time. I also recognize the Black church's influence in helping build a stronger black community.

While it's clear to see that Black and White Americans are different, when compared to other cultures their not that different because 1. shared language and 2. very mixed geographically has erased many of the early cultural differences. It used to be in the U.S before the 1930s someone from Maine could have a hard time just understanding some from Georgia, even though they spoke the same language and their are still glimpses of this today. But shared language/ religion/semi-shared geography/ shared food and even shared traditions for the most part has lead for these two groups to be synonymous with the "American" stereotype. Their are differences in culture and religion but outside of certain other cultural aspects Black Americans are essentially Canadians in America, when compared to White Americans. Canadians --> White Americans --> Black Americans differ from each other equally IMHO.
There are a ton of black churches that are over 100 years old.

And American history often leaves out African American history or glosses over it. You cannot get a good education in it unless you take a specific course or read specific literature about African American history and heritage.

Only thing I countered is your post is the idea that black people have churches because of slavery. Often people try to relate everything that black people do or have done to slavery and most of the time that is a false assumption.

We have a distinct culture that is based in our religious practices. Oftentime white people invited black Americans to join their churches or not to leave their churches, even in the 19th century. Black people did because it was a better way to focus specifically on our community's uplift from a service perspective and to organize and advocate for our socio-political goals and civil rights. Whites often did not and many "mixed" churches still do not care much about socio-political issues that are important to African Americans.

This has nothing to do with Canada or a shared language. However, as someone who is a black immigrant here in America, unless you have attended an historic black church that still adheres to our cultural tenets, you wouldn't know much about our churches. I was raised in two historic churches in my community. One was an AME church started in 1847 which was the first black church that began in my home town (AME is the first church created by African Americans) and one was a baptist church. Our baptist church started in 1868 after the Civil War, most of its founders were members of a white/mixed baptist church when it was founded. They had not experienced any specific discrimination with the white/mixed church, but founding documents/information from that generation stated they wanted to have a "colored" baptist church that would more specifically look out for and assist the black community in out city. Churches are often very political and there have been issues even in my own family of family members who've left our historic churches and gone to "mixed" churches and experienced racism or a flippant, dismissive attitude from the pastors or congregants of those churches when they want to advocate in a specific neigbhorhood or issue. Those mixed churches not being focused on "community uplift" which as I noted is a cultural tenet of African Americans, means that those of us not comfortable giving up that tradition will leave the mixed church and find a new black church. Its happened many times in my own family.

They also miss the atmosphere of "blackness" per se and the music in black churches. I was just speaking to a friend of mind - his AE church (African Episcopal) recently closed due to low attendance so he now attends a regular episcopal church and he misses the blackness of his old church. There is a familiarity that a feeling of belonging for African Americans in black church (coming home - is what the older people say) that they don't feel in a mixed church. I agree with this and as noted I'm not even a Christian. However, in my families historic churches, I'm embraced like a family member. And because I'm a local black historian who has deep connections to these churches historically they always welcome me and just pray I'll change my heathen ways lol.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:32 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
I am well aware that Hispanic/Latino isn't a race but the question in the article was about race. Why was there only a little over 2% calling themselves mixed race in your first link when the ethnic group of Hispanic/Latino are mostly of mixed race and millions of them in Texas? Did you not understand my question in my last post? Did they somehow fall into the white race catagory? Well then those particular stats were inaccurate.

I don't hate diversity where are you getting that? However, our "immigration" numbers today are not diversified they are mostly Latinos. This country was not built by illegal aliens. That's pure nonsense! This country was mostly built by our own citizens and legal immigrants.

Whites have melted into our identifying culture. Most speak English as their primary language for example even though their ancestors were from Germany, Poland, etc. Not so much with Latinos.
The stats are wrong but let me explain to you why.

First let me define Mexicans: Most Mexicans as you pointed out are mixed race. Studies show those that identify as Mestizo in mexico hover around 30% of the population. Amerindians- 21% of the population. White makes up 47% of Mexicos population. 3% Are East Asians/Jews/Middle Easterners/ Blacks.I know this number adds up to 102 but that's because their's overlap between all of these groups and these are o

Now Mexicans are genetically majority white, something around 60-40% split White to Amerindian.
Contrary to popular belief Amerindian Mexicans don't really migrate to the U.S in large numbers we actually mostly get people who identify as Mestizo and White. More Mestizo than White as compared to the split of the population so genetically is probably roughly the same as Mexico.

Now when a Mexican and a White person has a kid this person cannot identify as mixed race unless their Mexican parents identify as Other in the racial category. If a white Hispanic has kids with a white American that kid will most likely identify as either White or White Hispanic. Then added on that their are just straight up White Hispanic people from Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...tino_Americans

53% of all Mexicans identify as White Hispanic. 46% Other Hispanic, 1% Black/Asian Hispanic (it's less than 1% but just wanted to put that out there). The majority of kids who are half-Hispanic and half-white are born from white Hispanics having kids with white Americans. I don't know to what degree exactly and trying to estimate without 2020 data is a guessing game and a fool's errand but the majority of white-Hispanic relationships aren't classified as mixed race. This is the majority of mixed race relationships in the U.S and even moreso in Texas.

I know almost as many people who are part Hispanic as people who are fully-white of Texan origin, I easily think excluding hispanic immigrants from the 1970s and on and white immigrants from the 1990s and on. Texas's White population is as high as 20%.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...o-is-hispanic/

A full 50% of 4th generation Hispanics do not identify as Hispanic and that's mostly due to intermarriage with white folks in their area. Corpus Christi to the counties just north of the border maybe 2 or so counties north of the border you see it the most, you also see it in the rural areas of the Texas triangle, lots of White-Mexican families who aren't mixed race, you also see it in Austin/SA as well as Houston and Dallas but because of immigration it's more hidden in those places. I would even argue the majority of mixed race Americans don't identify as mixed just because of many mixed race black people identifying as black, and white-hispanics not being identified as mixed.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The stats are wrong but let me explain to you why.

First let me define Mexicans: Most Mexicans as you pointed out are mixed race. Studies show those that identify as Mestizo in mexico hover around 30% of the population. Amerindians- 21% of the population. White makes up 47% of Mexicos population. 3% Are East Asians/Jews/Middle Easterners/ Blacks.I know this number adds up to 102 but that's because their's overlap between all of these groups and these are o

Now Mexicans are genetically majority white, something around 60-40% split White to Amerindian.
Contrary to popular belief Amerindian Mexicans don't really migrate to the U.S in large numbers we actually mostly get people who identify as Mestizo and White. More Mestizo than White as compared to the split of the population so genetically is probably roughly the same as Mexico.

Now when a Mexican and a White person has a kid this person cannot identify as mixed race unless their Mexican parents identify as Other in the racial category. If a white Hispanic has kids with a white American that kid will most likely identify as either White or White Hispanic. Then added on that their are just straight up White Hispanic people from Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...tino_Americans

53% of all Mexicans identify as White Hispanic. 46% Other Hispanic, 1% Black/Asian Hispanic (it's less than 1% but just wanted to put that out there). The majority of kids who are half-Hispanic and half-white are born from white Hispanics having kids with white Americans. I don't know to what degree exactly and trying to estimate without 2020 data is a guessing game and a fool's errand but the majority of white-Hispanic relationships aren't classified as mixed race. This is the majority of mixed race relationships in the U.S and even moreso in Texas.

I know almost as many people who are part Hispanic as people who are fully-white of Texan origin, I easily think excluding hispanic immigrants from the 1970s and on and white immigrants from the 1990s and on. Texas's White population is as high as 20%.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...o-is-hispanic/

A full 50% of 4th generation Hispanics do not identify as Hispanic and that's mostly due to intermarriage with white folks in their area. Corpus Christi to the counties just north of the border maybe 2 or so counties north of the border you see it the most, you also see it in the rural areas of the Texas triangle, lots of White-Mexican families who aren't mixed race, you also see it in Austin/SA as well as Houston and Dallas but because of immigration it's more hidden in those places. I would even argue the majority of mixed race Americans don't identify as mixed just because of many mixed race black people identifying as black, and white-hispanics not being identified as mixed.
No, statistically most Mexicans are of mixed race (60%) in Mexico and those who have migrated here. Same goes for much of the other Latinos countries below us. They are mostly mixed Amerindian and Spanish. Some are Amerindian and black. The term coined for the first group is Mestizo and the second group they are called Mulattos. It matters not what they identify themselves by racially. Genetics are genetics. You can't pick and choose who you are. It doesn't change just because they marry a white person.

Hispanic isn't a race anyway it's an ethnicity/culture and it's a term used to describe those whose native language is Spanish and that they have Spanish roots which makes most from south of our border Hispanics.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
As I said earlier and implied by the person you quoted, 2nd and 3rd generations children of the recent immigrants of this country will go through the same. White and Black Americans have so much in common in culture and language specifically because many generations have passed from the original immigrant ancestors.
The difference between the Latino "immigrants" of today and the others that came from Europe early on is that the former group is very adamant about retaining their culture and language especially out in public. The kid's parents' ingrain this in them at a very early age. The early European immigrants did not do that. They insisted that their kids become American in every way. These Latino kids may learn English in our schools and speak it when they have to and adopt some of the main culture but that's pretty much the gist of it. Sorry, I live in the thick of it so I know. Do my eyes and ears lie to me?

The fact that there are so many here illegally just compounds the problem. It's a recipe for colonization not assimilation.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The difference between the Latino "immigrants" of today and the others that came from Europe early on is that the former group is very adamant about retaining their culture and language especially out in public. The kid's parents' ingrain this in them at a very early age. The early European immigrants did not do that. They insisted that their kids become American in every way. These Latino kids may learn English in our schools and speak it when they have to and adopt some of the main culture but that's pretty much the gist of it. Sorry, I live in the thick of it so I know. Do my eyes and ears lie to me?

The fact that there are so many here illegally just compounds the problem. It's a recipe for colonization not assimilation.
I would disagree here... yes.. my guess is that you choose to see what you want to see. All those assimilated later generation English speaking Latinos don't get noticed because they don't feed your narrow views and misdirected outrage. The Irish were very much retaining their culture....

Either way... this is what America is irregardless of your view; past and present just different peoples are the focus on the outrage. Just like the Anti-Irish sentiment prior, it is destined to fail. Life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies