Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And they say the Irish are fatalistic.
Color me Irish then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 07:10 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I agree with the others. The MEDIA is creating more divide than there is as are the Democrats. They always want to make it seem worse as then they have an excuse to step in with more intrusive Big Government programs to "fix it". But, they never want to fix anything as then they won't be needed anymore. They want to perpetuate the divide and make it worse, only to justify more Government.

That being said we are seeing more and more Blacks move to be segregated, especially in colleges where they are demanding, and getting separate dorms, separate cafeterias and separate student areas.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:21 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I agree with the others. The MEDIA is creating more divide than there is as are the Democrats. They always want to make it seem worse as then they have an excuse to step in with more intrusive Big Government programs to "fix it". But, they never want to fix anything as then they won't be needed anymore. They want to perpetuate the divide and make it worse, only to justify more Government.

That being said we are seeing more and more Blacks move to be segregated, especially in colleges where they are demanding, and getting separate dorms, separate cafeterias and separate student areas.
True on both points:

1) The media is trying to paint a picture of a horribly racist country, playing up every minor incident (if it is at the hands of whites) in order to GTVO among blacks as well as convince people, as you say, that big government is needed to protect us from all the racism. That's because something like 93%* of journalists are liberals and want to get the Democrat elected.

2) Also true that blacks themselves are seeking segregation, especially in the college setting, and the liberal colleges are only to happy too oblige them. The worst example was when that college in Oregon had NO-WHITES DAY and beat to a pulp a white professor who refused to participate in such a racist event.

*the 93% figure came from a study that showed that 93% of journalists contribute to liberal PACs/candidates and only 7% to conservatives.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:24 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
I don't think there is that much racial divide in our country than there is cultural divide. It is the latter that is detrimental to our society not the former.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:27 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I voted yes because there are non-white students at some universities demanding dorms be labeled as for POC, people of color, only. In other words some black people are demanding segregation.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:28 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Race relations are bad? I didn't get the memo. Then again, I'm 24.

Today marks 10 months of dating my beautiful girlfriend. She's biracial white/Asian from the Southwestern US, and I'm a (mostly) black dude from Philly. I'm still high off of flying across the country to spend Thanksgiving with her family. I spent a week eating delicious food, conversing with her parents, and meeting her extended family--all of whom loved me. Before we left, I spent Friendsgiving with her friends. I was the only black dude at the table, but that didn't matter.

I'm currently writing this while sitting in a cushy office tower in Philly. I'm one of the few black people who work in my company's finance department. Nobody holds that against me, and my contributions are valued just as much as everyone else's. After work, my girl and I will most likely have a nice dinner at a restaurant in a mostly white neighborhood. Nobody passes an eye at us, and nobody has questioned my presence in upscale restaurants with mostly white clientele.

I believe that the only people who think that race relations are getting "worse", are gloom-and-doom Boomers and older Gen X-ers. Race relations are just fine for Gen Z!
I agree. I would say they are getting better in my experience. I’m 31, I grew up in a diverse area, went to diverse schools growing up and there wasn’t much tension and people got along for the most part. I’m white and I work with people of different races and backgrounds and we get along fine. I also live in an area that has a high educational attainment rate amongst the populace, so that helps.

My wife is black. I get along with her family and she gets along with my family and Vice versa. Another important part is our families get along with each other. Her mom and my mom are good friends that hang out a lot together.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:33 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Race relations are improving. A recent poll said 34% of minorities now feel favorably about President Trump. It was only 9% when he was elected. At this rate, he'll have 100% approval by the end of year 8. President Trump knows what all Republicans know...we are ALL Americans! (well, at least the ones who entered legally).

Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
It certainly doesn't seem to be getting better
No, we have a president who has his followers feeling 100% justified to be openly racist. I know people who have started to blame all the nations ills on minorities, which is something they didn't do before. Anti-semitic comments are also more common.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:40 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Well, for one can you point to ANY minority members in his Cabinet or high profile appointees? And please don’t suggest Uncle Tom Ben Carson who can’t stand black people. At least incompetent George W Bush hired top minority talent in his Cabinet- def a different kind of republican. As a result, minority voters were more likely to give him a look when casting their vote. No Repub POTUS has received a higher percentage of the Hispanic vote than he.
Trump’s openly racist comments, dog whistle and otherwise stand on their own merit.
Even with top black talent like a non ados Colin Powell and Ados condaleeza rice Black folks voted for democrats still. Black American are ride to die with democrats compared to other ethnic groups who hop around parties such as I being an independent.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:09 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
The poll has two separate questions:

Are race relations getting worse? I don't think so, but perhaps you could make that case.

Are we moving toward racial separation? No; that is ridiculous. A few college students wanting a separate dorm is no trend. Better measurements would be percent of segregated neighborhoods, segregated churches or disapproval of inter-racial marriages, all of which continue a long-term decline. I am very hopeful that the Millennials will be the most color-blind generation yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies