Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There is no trade deal to end the tariffs. NEW tariffs that were scheduled to start Dec 15, 2019 were halted. Existing tariffs with China are still intact. Trade war still ongoing.
Right but libs think even that's bad or not enough.

Halting tarrifs 10 days to Xmas is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 01:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Right but libs think even that's bad or not enough.

Halting tarrifs 10 days to Xmas is a good thing.
Why is halting tariffs 10 days before Christmas a good thing?

Old 12-13-2019, 02:48 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
This is proof that our country is so divided that I’m not even sure we can ever unite... Even if attacked from an outside force.

Yes, I wasn’t too happy with Obama when he was president, but he was my president and commander & chief. When Obama announced that Bin Ladin was smoked by our special forces, I was proud of him, Obama, for ordering the assault.

When Trump stands firm with our economic... And military rival, China, half of America is happy with this win and the other half sees it was a defeat. All I know is that millions of hard working non-rich American’s retirements accounts, 401Ks/TSPs, are now looking pretty good.

So basically, half of the American people want our economy to sink. These people do not care one bit about the millions of working-class people, who have worked all their lives AND saved for a secured retirement to loose everything... To prove that “Orange Man Bad.” That’s beyond stupid... To wish your entire country to fail over ONE single man.

If you think America is so evil, you’re free to leave... Which you won’t since YOU know that YOU have it good here. If not, I’m sure Romania, Bulgaria, Uganda, Somalia, Bolivia, Peru, Laos and China might take you in and care for you for the rest of your life.

Regardless of what you think, it’s not about Trump, it’s about US, the average American and OUR individual futures.
I responded early, I see this as a good thing (assuming it is 'as described). Trump did the right thing here, and I acknowledge it. But to celebrate or be proud of him, I'm not so sure. THis is him "doing the right thing" by means of "undoing his bad policy", which was introducing the tarriffs in the first place, and in doing so the way he did.

So ABSOLUTELY a good thing, but he didn't fix a problem that was there before he got in. He brought it BACK to the level it was when he arrived. Likely a distraction from impeachment, but a good thing also. Credit due, walking back this bad policy is a good thing for America, and I support it. (I don't think we are substantively better off than we were 3 years ago.)

Old 12-13-2019, 02:49 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...riff-deadline/

No, I'm not tired of winning yet.
Man does it suck to be a liberal cry baby these days.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Man does it suck to be a liberal cry baby these days.
Man does it suck to be a delusional Trump sycophant these days.

This is, in no tangible way, a "win" for us. Save for the fact that it might keep us from pumping EVEN MORE tax dollars into the farming industry over the next couple of months.

Where are all the conservatives that complained about the auto bailouts? We have already more than doubled that figure to the farmers and I haven't heard a peep from anyone on the right about it.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

So ABSOLUTELY a good thing, but he didn't fix a problem that was there before he got in. He brought it BACK to the level it was when he arrived.

He DID NOT bring it back to the level it was when Trump arrived. There are still tariffs in place that Trump and China added as part of the trade war. The only thing this new agreement does is stop BRAND NEW tariffs (even higher than existing ) from going into effect 12/15/2019. Those new tariffs that were supposed to start Dec 15 were newly proposed within the past few months when China and Trump got into a tiff. So Trump backed down from the Dec 15 tariffs. But the trade war is still in full effect at this time. Did NOT go back to when Trump arrived.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
He DID NOT bring it back to the level it was when Trump arrived. There are still tariffs in place that Trump and China added as part of the trade war. The only thing this new agreement does is stop BRAND NEW tariffs (even higher than existing ) from going into effect 12/15/2019. Those new tariffs that were supposed to start Dec 15 were newly proposed within the past few months when China and Trump got into a tiff. So Trump backed down from the Dec 15 tariffs. But the trade war is still in full effect at this time. Did NOT go back to when Trump arrived.
Plus you don't get credit for fixing something you broke! (Not that this is anywhere close to "fixed", yet.)

I'm more than ready to give Trump credit if our trade with China actually improves. As yet, we're not even back to where we started from, as you rightly point out.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Details are sparse, but it sounds like the US is going to waive some Tariff's on Chinese goods and China is going to resume purchasing ~$50 Billion in "farm goods" (assuming that is soybeans and other raw food stuffs).

As much as I don't like China, even I realize that we need to better balance trade for our own economic longevity, but not eliminate it.
Way to go Trump!
Yeah, so now China buys the stuff that it was planning on buying from the us before the trump trade wars......lolololol. What exactly did china give up for this deal? Lololololol. Come on you trumpets....use your brain for once. Trump failed to change anything about China in this big trade deal......lol.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:06 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
The Chinese can't be trusted. "Trust but verify." But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They are in dire straits and perhaps have come to realize Trump will be around until 2024. Too dangerous for them to wait

Old 12-15-2019, 06:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, so now China buys the stuff that it was planning on buying from the us before the trump trade wars......lolololol. What exactly did china give up for this deal? Lololololol. Come on you trumpets....use your brain for once. Trump failed to change anything about China in this big trade deal......lol.
China's economy is in rough shape and isn't improving any time soon, so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies