Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 05:38 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

Australian AGW deniers right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBx7Jg4m-o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 05:54 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I discourage useless degrees that churn out unemployable educated idiots.
There are no useless degrees. College isn’t a trade school. College grads are not unemployable. They are more likely to have fewer periods of unemployment and higher lifetime earnings than those who never went to college. Calling college grads idiots says more about you than them.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:01 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
There are a lot of powerful forces aligned against scientific education in our country, most notably of these forces are the religious contingent and the corporate interest contingent...both these Ultra powerful forces have fought tooth-and-nail against scientific education and it shows as we have to import the vast majority of our scientific talent from countries that have a socialized educational system and thus wildly out perform us in every measurable category since all their people have equal access to education reguardless of their social economic status and this puts our capitalist educational system at a hopeless disadvantage versus the socialized power houses of Asia in particular.

As someone who has spent the majority of their career in the sciences it is endlessly entertaining how inept the average American is in questions of basic sceince and how much this educational level varies from region to region

In answering a basic scientific question on a social media site lately i was besieged with people with 1/5th my resume calling me all kinds of names and posting silly comedic gifs out of frustration..i assumed these people were teens or at least young adults but after some digging i found out they were adults in their 40ties in some cases!!!

No matter what the question may be

*life at conception
*evolution
*global warming

We dont seem to take the scientific facts as seriously as most "developed" nations

* i am politically neutral as i love guns and think religion should be taught in school yet i support labor unions/net nutrality

Perhaps we are so bad at science because somebody paid the lawmakers to nerf the system....after all, if you run big religion or big corporations your probably not to keen on a scientifically educated populace...bad for "business"
Haven't read the whole thread, but no, it's not religion that causes the problems with science. As a country we were highly religious up until the past couple of decades AND at the same time, we were forward look, industrialized, high tech. Think back to Ben Franklin, through Thomas Edison, Simon Lake, right through the Wright Brothers, atomic energy, the space program, the 100 and 200 inch telescopes, integrated circuits, ARPANET, right until today. The idea that religion is anti science is pure bunk spread by those who have animus toward religion.

Let's instead look at when this country started doubting science. Sometime in the 60s/70s it started with the counter culture, don't trust anyone over 30 generation. The anti science bent spreads through the education system where teachers have little to no math and science education. APS did a study that shows less than 1/3 of high school science teachers actually have a degree in the subject vs a degree in some form of science teaching. The teachers themselves dislike math and science and pass that fear along to kids. Who in turn think "science" is hard; something that only the nerds and geeks and other unpopular kids understand. In school, ignorance is cool. Knowledge is forbidden.

Now take those same science-fearing kids and grow them up to distrust "big" anything -- big government, big business, big science. Feed them with a media that doesn't distinguish between science and pseudo science where the pseudo science uses words that they can understand vs the math required in real science. Teachers themselves fall prey to pseudo science in the media and then teach it in the classroom.

My solution? Start with the teachers. Require degrees in actual science and math from degree granting institutions, not "schools of education." Pay those with the degree commensurate with what industry pays for that degree. Require hard core science in high school to graduate.

Yep, this topic really spins me up because I worry about the quality of science education in this country. Religion isn't the problem; it's a red herring to distract from the real problem -- the education system and media. I raised two kids through this system, one who went on to be a practicing physicist, and it scared me to see how hard the education system worked against kids who wanted to learn science, esp young women and girls, actively discouraging them at times.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:32 AM

1,031 posts, read 638,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but no, it's not religion that causes the problems with science. As a country we were highly religious up until the past couple of decades AND at the same time, we were forward look, industrialized, high tech. Think back to Ben Franklin, through Thomas Edison, Simon Lake, right through the Wright Brothers, atomic energy, the space program, the 100 and 200 inch telescopes, integrated circuits, ARPANET, right until today. The idea that religion is anti science is pure bunk spread by those who have animus toward religion.

Let's instead look at when this country started doubting science. Sometime in the 60s/70s it started with the counter culture, don't trust anyone over 30 generation. The anti science bent spreads through the education system where teachers have little to no math and science education. APS did a study that shows less than 1/3 of high school science teachers actually have a degree in the subject vs a degree in some form of science teaching. The teachers themselves dislike math and science and pass that fear along to kids. Who in turn think "science" is hard; something that only the nerds and geeks and other unpopular kids understand. In school, ignorance is cool. Knowledge is forbidden.

Now take those same science-fearing kids and grow them up to distrust "big" anything -- big government, big business, big science. Feed them with a media that doesn't distinguish between science and pseudo science where the pseudo science uses words that they can understand vs the math required in real science. Teachers themselves fall prey to pseudo science in the media and then teach it in the classroom.

My solution? Start with the teachers. Require degrees in actual science and math from degree granting institutions, not "schools of education." Pay those with the degree commensurate with what industry pays for that degree. Require hard core science in high school to graduate.

Yep, this topic really spins me up because I worry about the quality of science education in this country. Religion isn't the problem; it's a red herring to distract from the real problem -- the education system and media. I raised two kids through this system, one who went on to be a practicing physicist, and it scared me to see how hard the education system worked against kids who wanted to learn science, esp young women and girls, actively discouraging them at times.
Im talking about anti abortion people depicting a fully developed fetus at 3 weeks post conception and "omnicorps" comminishinging a study that suggests that "chemical x" is perfectly safe to dump into the ocean

these characters have special interist groups who actively seek to do things like eliminate the term "evolution" from school programs and allow development in flood zones

Science is the enemy of many major industries

(Like the petrol chemical corps killing battery technology)

https://youtu.be/1qX34qKZ5K4

Old 12-22-2019, 12:42 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Im talking about anti abortion people depicting a fully developed fetus at 3 weeks post conception and "omnicorps" comminishinging a study that suggests that "chemical x" is perfectly safe to dump into the ocean

these characters have special interist groups who actively seek to do things like eliminate the term "evolution" from school programs and allow development in flood zones

Science is the enemy of many major industries

(Like the petrol chemical corps killing battery technology)

https://youtu.be/1qX34qKZ5K4
Do you not see that you are falling prey to the very pseudo science media and education system I was talking about? Conspiracy theories that science from "big anything" isn't to be trusted? Those were exactly the points I was talking about in answer to your original question.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nowadays everyone seems to think the King James Bible is the only science textbook anybody needs.
Really?

Everyone in the United States wants to use the King James Bible as a science textbook?

What support do you have for this claim?

Old 12-22-2019, 01:13 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Really?

Everyone in the United States wants to use the King James Bible as a science textbook?

What support do you have for this claim?
My SIL has a Masters Degree in Science and teaches HS science. His younger son is Autistic while he older son isn't. Received same number of childhood vaccinations. He blames vaccinations on his younger son's Autism. "Some are more prone than others and it not a one size fits ALL". Asked him about Andrew Wakefield and he never heard of him. Jenny McCarthy is Donny's wife to him. Even my elderly husband with a BS degree, who sees many doctors and gets every vaccine recommended, said "Be careful with young BOYS and vaccinations".It is a statistical fact that there are far more boys with autism than girls.

Require more science courses for college? Forget the Bible as a science textbook. I was raised Catholic and the King James Bible was a BANNED BOOK.:rolleyesis

Old 12-22-2019, 01:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Factually, the OP question is that we are lot dumber right now than many nations and people.

Using actual metrics and statistics just proves that point. For example, that 85% of Americans supported a war in a place they could not point to on a Globe tells you quite a bit.

That Americans will pay 11K per person per year (double what others pay) for health care is another statistic that cannot be denied.

That's before you get into all the stuff that Americans can be made to believe based on a news story or Facebook share.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
A recent KPBS program was aired on the vehement position most Americans take with 100% scanty 3rd hand info

Old 12-22-2019, 01:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL has a Masters Degree in Science and teaches HS science. His younger son is Autistic while he older son isn't. Received same number of childhood vaccinations. He blames vaccinations on his younger son's Autism. "Some are more prone than others and it not a one size fits ALL". Asked him about Andrew Wakefield and he never heard of him. Jenny McCarthy is Donny's wife to him. Even my elderly husband with a BS degree, who sees many doctors and gets every vaccine recommended, said "Be careful with young BOYS and vaccinations".It is a statistical fact that there are far more boys with autism than girls.

Require more science courses for college? Forget the Bible as a science textbook. I was raised Catholic and the King James Bible was a BANNED BOOK.:rolleyesis
If all kinds of theories were going to be thrown forward, it's more like that.....

1. Male brains are wired differently.
2. Pretty well known that Older Males having children...children are more likely to have autism (one example of that in my extended family).
3. Lack of vaginal births (natural childbirth) and breast feeding/bonding
4. Pollutants of sorts....food, air, water, etc.

Dollars to donuts when all the causes are found 2 or more of the above will be related. If Vaccines are related at all they will down at the level of "He ate big macs and drank more than 2 drinks a day" or lower. Correlation, not causation...or one of many actions which combines to disconnect enough neurons in the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies