Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 04:34 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
America is a whole is really lacking empathy these days. I can't remember when the political climate was this divisive and mean-spirited.
I think a lot to do with that is the fact that many of the have-nots are demanding more and more from the haves and showing a lot less gratitude for what they do receive, and many of the haves are just tired of that. There is also more of a divide between the two, as there fewer and fewer people are middle class and middle income today, if one can believe the numerous articles on this subject. I think that there is more of a "us vs. them" attitude today that is actually encouraged by both parties, but more so by the Democrats, in my opinion.

(I volunteered at a food bank for over a year and quit because I was developing a bad attitude due to the complainers who didn't like the selection of FREE food that was offered and the attitudes of some of the homeless I spoke to who were homeless but turned down the offer of a place at a shelter because "they have rules".)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 05:06 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He could have done that drunk. We haven't punished people for alcohol (except when drunk driving is involved).
Drunk and disorderly?
They usually tack on a few charges when alcohol is involved. So yes people arrested while drunk get punished, the behavior is usually the result of being drunk.

Personally I have no sympathy for Drunks or drug addicts. Both are self imposed with very predictable outcomes.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:00 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
Quote:
Read an article in a medical publication last night that said close to 65% of drug addicts have some sort of childhood trauma, a history of sexual or physical abuse, or mental illness. Americans that are hurting and need help, but maybe couldn't afford therapy, or had access to prescription strength drugs. .

I just wish people could open their hearts and be more sympathetic towards their fellow human beings. Not everything has to be a "gotcha" moment where people seek to demean and attack people for making a poor choice in life.

i have worked with addicts... and maybe the most common thing is sexual trauma of some sorts..i for one could not believe the amount of sexual abuse by the OWN fathers towards boys as well as girls much of which is still "unspeakable" sadly

another misconception is people are just having fun drinking and so on..by the time i realized i had a problem nothing could be further from the truth...it is an unholy obsession to use and nothing but sober time has made the obsession disappear..in the words of Iggy Pop NO FUN

Old 12-27-2019, 09:54 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Sadly, you are right.

As long as the rich and privileged are in charge, regardless of political affiliation, government will never truly do anything that helps "the little guy."

America is a whole is really lacking empathy these days. I can't remember when the political climate was this divisive and mean-spirited.
I dont think its empathy, they refuse to even talk about dissolving the drug laws mostly because law enforcement depends too much upon drug and drug related crime, prisons rely on law enforcement making certain number of arrests and getting convictions as well.

If drug laws were dissolved, law enforcement would become largely irrelevant and fade into obscurity, there just isnt enough 'other crime' to justify such a large force and such large budgets, and staffing!

In my county here, drug crime and drug related crime make up for around 70% of ALL crime!! That is absolutely unbelievable, I can certainly understand why they fight so hard to keep drug laws in place!

Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 PM

In regards to the drug laws, one question needs to be answered...Given that prohibition on alcohol failed and did not work...so why in the world would they use the same exact kind of laws for drugs just a short time later?

This suggests that they knew what was going to happen when they created laws like this, they knew a powerful black market would pop up to supply the demand, just like it had when alcohol prohibition was in effect!

This is one reason why I strongly believe there is high level collusion between the US govt, DEA and the major drug cartels, I believe the DEA acts as their 'lobbyists' and enforcers in the states (when pharma companies started to threaten illegal opioid drugs, the DEA acted very quick to crack down), the DEA was simply protecting the cartels marketplace and profits, they got rid of the competition!

Old 12-27-2019, 10:50 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
In regards to the drug laws, one question needs to be answered...Given that prohibition on alcohol failed and did not work...so why in the world would they use the same exact kind of laws for drugs just a short time later?

This suggests that they knew what was going to happen when they created laws like this, they knew a powerful black market would pop up to supply the demand, just like it had when alcohol prohibition was in effect!

This is one reason why I strongly believe there is high level collusion between the US govt, DEA and the major drug cartels, I believe the DEA acts as their 'lobbyists' and enforcers in the states (when pharma companies started to threaten illegal opioid drugs, the DEA acted very quick to crack down), the DEA was simply protecting the cartels marketplace and profits, they got rid of the competition!
Prohibition only banned the manufacturing of alcohol, not possession/use.

Murder/rape/robbery/assault/trespassing/counterfeiting/shoplifting laws haven't wiped out those behaviors? Should we abandon "The on Murder/rape/Robbery/Assault/Trespassing/Counterfeiting/Shoplifting?

With regards to the black market, thanks to the legalization effort, we have seen that the black market thrives, perhaps better than ever, when dope is legalized.

This thread is pages long now and the advocates of legalization haven't offered a single assertion that isn't rooted in logical fallacies or non-scientific woo-woo or complete misreprenstation of the current or historical records.

You know the one thing that you guys could offer that can't be refuted? The opinion that, "By God, I should be able to do whatever I want, damage to me or society be damned!" It's an opinion. A stupid opinion, but no one can come along and declare it invalid. Why don't you just go with that one rather than the other claptrap?

Old 12-28-2019, 12:32 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/man-pu...ult-in-target/

This guy walked up to two random little kids in Target and hammered them in the face. But he was using drugs.
Why do we punish people like this??? He was high on drugs. I'm sure that he is actually a nice guy....

(Make sure you watch the video.....)
He's not being punished for being on drugs, he's being punished for violating rights when he attacked another person.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Prohibition only banned the manufacturing of alcohol, not possession/use.

Murder/rape/robbery/assault/trespassing/counterfeiting/shoplifting laws haven't wiped out those behaviors? Should we abandon "The on Murder/rape/Robbery/Assault/Trespassing/Counterfeiting/Shoplifting?

With regards to the black market, thanks to the legalization effort, we have seen that the black market thrives, perhaps better than ever, when dope is legalized.

This thread is pages long now and the advocates of legalization haven't offered a single assertion that isn't rooted in logical fallacies or non-scientific woo-woo or complete misreprenstation of the current or historical records.

You know the one thing that you guys could offer that can't be refuted? The opinion that, "By God, I should be able to do whatever I want, damage to me or society be damned!" It's an opinion. A stupid opinion, but no one can come along and declare it invalid. Why don't you just go with that one rather than the other claptrap?
Why didnt the alcohol black market thrive once alcohol was legalized again then?

You know the difference, legalization of pot is not nationwide yet, so the impacts on the black market are not accurate yet, plus, when alcohol was made legal again, it went back down to normal prices...greedy folks today want to charge the same price for pot as when it was illegal!!

They do not understand that the high cost of pot when it was illegal was due to the illegal status, the risk involved in its sale, distribution, possession, all that goes away with legalization.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:54 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why didnt the alcohol black market thrive once alcohol was legalized again then?

You know the difference, legalization of pot is not nationwide yet, so the impacts on the black market are not accurate yet, plus, when alcohol was made legal again, it went back down to normal prices...greedy folks today want to charge the same price for pot as when it was illegal!!

They do not understand that the high cost of pot when it was illegal was due to the illegal status, the risk involved in its sale, distribution, possession, all that goes away with legalization.

i havent been around marijuana in 30 yrs..but in ohio here we had ads for john boehner and legal marijuana...so i can see where people in the legal business are just plain too stupid to know lol

Old 12-31-2019, 05:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Drunk and disorderly?
They usually tack on a few charges when alcohol is involved. So yes people arrested while drunk get punished, the behavior is usually the result of being drunk.

Personally I have no sympathy for Drunks or drug addicts. Both are self imposed with very predictable outcomes.
Just drunk in public not even being disorderly is an offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies