Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 09:41 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Shame on you for trying to politicize a young woman's death."

You HAVE to be kidding!
It is what the left media and the dems do ALL THE TIME.

"There is no evidence that stop and frisk laws are effective in stemming violent crime."

Of course the is, you just want to ignore it.Citing from only 2 sources is NOT ALL the evidence to say otherwise.

I don't think it's the domain of the left to politicize a death. Your side did it with the girl who was killed by the Mexican immigrant while jogging. Neither side can claim saint status with regard to this, sorry, try again.

Why not show your own evidence that stop and frisk works, if you have any. At least mine was based on more than "I want this to be true".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think it's the domain of the left to politicize a death. Your side did it with the girl who was killed by the Mexican immigrant while jogging. Neither side can claim saint status with regard to this, sorry, try again.

Why not show your own evidence that stop and frisk works, if you have any. At least mine was based on more than "I want this to be true".
Stop and frisk does work. I can only draw from my own experience. You can show me all the stats you like. But I was on the streets. I did 1000's of stops during my career. I saw what it did. What SQF did was it stopped perps from taking out that weapon on their nightly travels. Instead of taking it out they left it at home. They had second thoughts knowing there was a chance of being stopped and locked up. With that being said I will always contend they way it was implemented was wrong. It become a part of a cop's monthly quota. That was wrong. The PBA said for years it was wrong as well. However Bloomberg and Kelley did not listen. Now as to your earlier points that SQF is unconstitutional you could not be more wrong. Cop's are allowed to stop someone as long as they can articulate exactly why the stop was made in the first place.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Stop and frisk does work. I can only draw from my own experience. You can show me all the stats you like. But I was on the streets. I did 1000's of stops during my career. I saw what it did. What SQF did was it stopped perps from taking out that weapon on their nightly travels. Instead of taking it out they left it at home. They had second thoughts knowing there was a chance of being stopped and locked up. With that being said I will always contend they way it was implemented was wrong. It become a part of a cop's monthly quota. That was wrong. The PBA said for years it was wrong as well. However Bloomberg and Kelley did not listen. Now as to your earlier points that SQF is unconstitutional you could not be more wrong. Cop's are allowed to stop someone as long as they can articulate exactly why the stop was made in the first place.

Maybe I should have said the way it was carried out was unconstitutional. And if they did it again the results would be the same. And that is unacceptable.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkchamps View Post
Stop n frisk wouldn't have stopped this.
Odds do not support ^.

12,000 officers per shift, spread across 303 sq miles protecting 8.6 million people not including millions of tourists, business travelers and commuters.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Odds do not support ^.

12,000 officers per shift, spread across 303 sq miles protecting 8.6 million people not including millions of tourists, business travelers and commuters.

For stop and frisk to have stopped this, wouldn't they have had to be doing something suspicious to warrant being stopped and frisked? Again it sounds like people think just any black person in a park at 7:30 warrants being stopped and frisked...which is exactly why it was deemed unconstitutional.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Not true at all. Given the time at night this happened probably around 3,000 cops at most actually doing patrol or anti crime duties city wide. People have a perception that there are tens of thousands of cops on patrol on a given time. However the perception does not match the reality.
Agreed.

How many of the 12,000 officers/ per shift on duty are “patrolling”at any point in time, is as variable as where they are patrolling.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Unless he pleads out, that kid is likely looking at least 20 years in prison. Sucks for him but it more tragic that took the life of a young adult who had so much potential!

He’s naming names so he is cooperating.

There will be a plea bargain, unless he pleads guilty, which is unlikely.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Agreed.

How many of the 12,000 officers/ per shift on duty are “patrolling”at any point in time, is as variable as where they are patrolling.
Yes you are correct. In the precinct that this occurred you probably had about 15-20 cops on patrol or anti crime duties.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Under DeBlasio NYC has the lowest murder rate in literally a 100 years. That itself was last year or the year before last year. Of course murder is up from the lowest number in 100 years.... it doesn’t change the fact that stop and frisk has been stopped for several years and for several years NYC’s murder rate has gotten so low it is now the lowest major city in the U.S. lower than Boston/Seattle/ Salt Lake City lower than the national average by a significant amount... In fact it’s probably lower than where 90% of posters live unless they live in a small town that doesn’t get murders because it’s to physically smalll for them to statistically be likely.
Good point. Shows how a statistic can be manipulated based on political ideology.

An 8% increase from a 100 year record low is still a record. San Francisco and NYC are the only large cities in the US to be ranked within the top 25 safest large cities in the world.

The least safe areas of NYC are not in Manhattan.

A percentage of these murders, like murders anywhere, involve a killer and victim known to each other and happened behind closed doors.

Oklahoma City has a murder rate 4x higher than NYC.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Stop and frisk does work. I can only draw from my own experience.
So does going into every single household everyday looking for drugs. It's about having something work while not stomping on the rights of the individual. The last part is where law enforcement is a huge failure. We fought Revolutionary War over this exact same thing .

Quote:
You can show me all the stats you like. But I was on the streets. I did 1000's of stops during my career. I saw what it did. What SQF did was it stopped perps from taking out that weapon on their nightly travels. Instead of taking it out they left it at home. They had second thoughts knowing there was a chance of being stopped and locked up. With that being said I will always contend they way it was implemented was wrong. It become a part of a cop's monthly quota. That was wrong. The PBA said for years it was wrong as well. However Bloomberg and Kelley did not listen. Now as to your earlier points that SQF is unconstitutional you could not be more wrong. Cop's are allowed to stop someone as long as they can articulate exactly why the stop was made in the first place.
No they cannot stop someone as long as they articulate why. No one is allowed to legally violate the rights of others. Stop and Frisk is unconstitutional and it was ruled so. That's why it was outlawed.
So even though law enforcement knew it was wrong they continued to do it. But you're blaming Bloomberg and Kelley? lol Children blame others, adults take responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies