Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think it's possible for a person to use cannabis in their free time and be a productive membe
Yes 92 77.97%
No 26 22.03%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 04:30 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Have you never heard of corn mash and prohibition times?
corn mash fermented and distilled IS NOT A NATURAL plant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
corn mash fermented and distilled IS NOT A NATURAL plant

Are you saying that fermentation and alcohol are not natural? If so then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Fermentation is a natural process and alcohol is a natural substance that can both happen naturally in nature. Corn is a natural plant. It gets mashed, processed and refined into an strongly alcoholic substance with a little tweaking and tinkering provided by humans but that doesn't make it into an unnatural thing. As do many other natural plant products get processed and refined.

Fermentation of plants and their fruits and seeds and even plant nectars and honey can happen naturally in nature without any interference or even the knowledge of humans. They occur naturally and will end up providing similar but less pronounced results because of the lesser amount of alcohol produced. Many wild animals, birds and insects relish such naturally fermented alcoholic plant products and will seek them out.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:26 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Why not, just use some common-sense and moderate how often you use it......ditto that for all sorts of things, candy, alcohol, chinese-buffet, drugs, video games, etc, etc, etc.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:29 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
I think it's hilarious that there are 20 no voters.

I wonder how those people would vote if the drug had been alcohol instead of cannabis. Alcohol is far more inebriating, addictive, and destructive compared to cannabis, but there are obviously still plenty who believe the old tropes...because?

I don't smoke much cannabis. Mostly for severe nausea due to a condition I have. I average about once a week and I work hard, am responsible for the success of dozens of people each year, and come to work clear-headed and energetic. When I used to drink, I often found it difficult to wake up in the mornings even after 2-3 beers, and muddled through the first half of my day. I never would have been able to do such a demanding job if I drank. If I smoked every night, I don't think it would be a huge problem, but I don't, so I don't really know.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Why not, just use some common-sense and moderate how often you use it......ditto that for all sorts of things, candy, alcohol, chinese-buffet, drugs, video games, etc, etc, etc.
Um, I do.

Just like literally hundreds of thousands of americans.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:35 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Are you saying that fermentation and alcohol are not natural? If so then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Fermentation is a natural process and alcohol is a natural substance that can both happen naturally in nature. Corn is a natural plant. It gets mashed, processed and refined into an strongly alcoholic substance with a little tweaking and tinkering provided by humans but that doesn't make it into an unnatural thing. As do many other natural plant products get processed and refined.

Fermentation of plants and their fruits and seeds and even plant nectars and honey can happen naturally in nature without any interference or even the knowledge of humans. They occur naturally and will end up providing similar but less pronounced results because of the lesser amount of alcohol produced. Many wild animals, birds and insects relish such naturally fermented alcoholic plant products and will seek them out.
Very true. Many animals are known to eat specific fruits at specific times of year in order to get drunk. Even bees do it, but if they show up at the colony hammered, they are liable to be expelled.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
As an employer I would not hire anyone who does marijuana except for the lower level positions and I would have a periodic review for them to make sure our goals are aligned. I certainly would not trust their judgement in mid-tier or higher level matters, but I will state, in some of my lower level positions, dope smokers and drinkers have been unusually loyal. As long as they are comfortable with a subsistence level of existence I would have limited problem with them as long as the do their job in workmanlike fashion. If they ever wish to alter their lifestyle and realize their innate potential and greatness I would be open to the conversation. sadly I only have ever had 3 dopers who ever wanted to change their lot in life.

In contrast I maintain an active ex-offender hiring practice, but note the word is ex-offender. The expectation is they disavow their former ways. In such cases I am willing to structure a program for them.

Related, starting next year, I will no longer interview candidates from states that are expunging criminal records of drug offenders.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I would vote "rarely."

Like drinkers, those who smoke pot don't usually sense any difference in themselves. But others see it.

I'll be interested in the results of longitudinal studies being done on occasional, but long-term users of marijuana. Regardless of how they take it in.

Most likely, the results won't get much air. Bureaucrats see tax dollars. Producers see income. Users see supply.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:19 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I have to ask, again (I know I won't get a response, again, but here goes):

Why is being a "productive member of society" define the moral standing of an individual?

If an individual isn't committing aggression against you isn't that enough?

i agree but to be fair its just another kneejerk reaction to the negative picture we have been handed of ALL drug use..there are responses here that speak of drug testing lol..i hope they realize drug tests are not like a law of physics but are man-made

Old 12-15-2019, 07:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Obviously yes since people have been doing it for decades and being successful. Unless you are one to overindulge in things: food, alcohol, mj, etc. nobody is going to know that you enjoy recreational pot on your own time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies