Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 12:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's why it's even more important to take the guns away from them. You guys keep making the argument for me.

You rather these criminals commit crimes with baseball bats.... or with guns?

It's false premise because it presumes that illegally obtained weapons would no longer be available because legal ones aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 12:37 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Most of Philadelphia feels unsafe to me. I've walked in "safe" areas at night and been accosted by gangs of teenagers and I came close to being a victim of the "knock out game" myself. Luckily I was expecting it and had my eye out. A kid lunged at me but thought better when I put my hands up and yelled at him.

There was a lot of this going on there a few years back. Then there was the guys who lit up a bus with AK47's in broad daylight because someone said something to their sister/girlfriend whatever that they didn't like, bullets just missing little old ladies sitting on the bus. The place is out of control and there's no reason to think it will get better. Phili and Baltimore I have no desire to ever go to again. There is an undercurrent of extreme hostility there that I'm not sure why anyone would expose themselves to.
I've never been to Philadelphia, but I wouldn't be surprised. There has been alot of crime in Philadelphia. And the knockout game isn't limited to Phialdelphia. It's been taking place in some Midwestern cities, like Milwaukee, Kansas City, Lansing, Chicago,etc. I've walked around Atlanta, even some rough areas.

I know about the SEPTA bus shooting. A passenger made criticized a woman because she was abusive in the way she was trying to "discipline" her kid. The woman didn't like that remark. She got her brothers to shoot up the bus. Philadelphia has a reputation for being rough, and it's for a reason. This extends to sports. There is a reason Veterans Stadium had a jail. This was to handle Eagles fans.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've walked around Atlanta, even some rough areas.

You blend in much better. If I was walking around those areas I might as well be carrying the giant neon pig.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a reason Veterans Stadium had a jail. This was to handle Eagles fans.

I've been to the Vet for Eagles game, they were playing Tampa. About the most outrageous thing I saw was some guy walk into port a potty with a Tampa Bay jersey on. They were banging on it and rocking it. I though for sure they were going to tip it over. Another guy in the 700 level was wearing Giants jersey, must of been the good drugs he was on. In any event he had 2000 people yelling ******* at him in unison.

Saw another game at the Linc against Pittsburgh, lot of Pittsburgh fans but nothing but friendly "words".

There is great quote from sports writer that goes something like this. "In Philadelphia the first words they teach their kids is "Cowboys Suck". LOL

Old 12-16-2019, 01:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
This sounds like a great argument for gun control.

This sounds like a great argument to act like an adult and carry protection.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
That's why it's even more important to take the guns away from them. You guys keep making the argument for me.

You rather these criminals commit crimes with baseball bats.... or with guns?

That's why it's even more important to arm yourself for protection. bebop keeps making the argument for me.

You rather these criminals commit crimes because when seconds count, law enforcement is minutes awy.

Don't you worry your puddin' head buttercup. If I'm near you and you get attacked I'll help. "Men- if you can find one"

Old 12-16-2019, 01:36 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
No -- it's an argument for thug control.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:49 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

Are you making a joke, or trying to be serious ? It's so hard to tell now.

So basically, criminals are the ones shooting things up..correct ? They've already shown that they don't follow laws, by being a part of criminal activity. Now you say this is a great argument for gun control... gun control for whom ? You actually don't think criminals will all of a sudden start following the law , if we add one more to the already 6000 plus firearms laws that are on the books.

Yeah, I apologize, you must be trying to make a joke. Know one can actually think this.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You do realize that criminals, by their very nature, do not follow laws, right?
I thought this person was making a joke, being sarcastic. Know one actually thinks like this...

Old 12-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, look at what criminals did after alcohol prohibition ended.

If you really want to be shocked, check out the county that these neighborhoods are in, I guarantee, a LARGE majority of the arrests are going to be for drug or drug related crime...if the drug war ended, it would be a disaster for law enforcement and prisons, they would loose a HUGE percentage of their 'job security'.

There is just not enough 'other crime' to justify such a large law enforcement community.
It's seems like the drug excuse gets played way too often. Sure, probably half these shootings are drug related, but looking at some of the ones we've had here in Detroit...many are not.

We had someone shoot another for a bag of chips, shoes, sunglasses, cars, card game and facebook beefs. When you have that kind of lack of respect for human life the LEO's will always be busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies