Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you more for Gun Rights or for Gun Reform?
Gun Rights 150 64.94%
Gun Reform 69 29.87%
Other 12 5.19%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 06:39 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I honestly don't know a lot about the 475 Limbaugh. It came up in another thread where a poster said he owned one, and that it was even more powerful than a magnum. That would make it quite possibly the most powerful gun on planet earth. The poster referred to it as a "monster."

The carbine, 9mm, and magnum are all particularly powerful weapons that are favored by drug cartels. They all belong in the hands of POLICE ONLY. These are weapons that are designed for the mass slaughter of innocents.
" These are weapons that are designed for the mass slaughter of innocents."

So, in your mind all these people should NOT have been allowed to defend themselves.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen/

46 pages worth of stories where people WITH A GUN saved their lives and some the lives of others.

And some wonder why we can't have "common sense" discussions on issuers!

"you CAN'T reason with an UN-reasonable person", as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 07:23 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Some of you have gone off the deep end in you opposition to any control or regulation. Some of you seem to advocate chaos when it comes to weapons. Hunting with a rocket launcher is nonsensical.

I'm a strong 2nd amendment advocate, active in the NRA. I hunt and own multiple weapons. Weapons used by individuals and developed for offensive intent was never ever part and parcel of the 2nd amendment. It was always about individual defensive/protective needs and the right to defend ones self with arms... that is why the term is used. What part of that is not understandable.

You lose every time you go "anything goes".... and that just not true or the founders intent. That position will lead to one of chaos and lawlessness. History tells us this is true.

Arms = weapons in common use, that an individual can keep and employ, for the purposes defense and protection.

No tanks, no cannons, no rocket launchers, no nukes

Old 12-20-2019, 07:35 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Some of you have gone off the deep end in you opposition to any control or regulation. Some of you seem to advocate chaos when it comes to weapons. Hunting with a rocket launcher is nonsensical.

I'm a strong 2nd amendment advocate, active in the NRA. I hunt and own multiple weapons. Weapons used by individuals and developed for offensive intent was never ever part and parcel of the 2nd amendment. It was always about individual defensive/protective needs and the right to defend ones self with arms... that is why the term is used. What part of that is not understandable.

You lose every time you go "anything goes".... and that just not true or the founders intent. That position will lead to one of chaos and lawlessness. History tells us this is true.

Arms = weapons in common use, that an individual can keep and employ, for the purposes defense and protection.

No tanks, no cannons, no rocket launchers, no nukes
To the first...... all weapons can be use offensively or defensively.
To the second......... such as the AR and AK platforms? With an estimated 20 million in circulation they are certainly in common use.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:49 AM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

The new government wanted us to be able to fight back if our government became aggressive. That was the primary purpose of the 2nd. They had just fought their way out of the tyrannical British rule and knew how bad it could be.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Are you more for Gun Rights or for Gun Reform?

And for further discussion, do you think as we go into the 2020s America will drift more towards gun rights or gun reform depending on who's President?
Facts:
- Gun Reform? It's not the guns, they've been trying to do this for decades and it hasn't affected criminals.
- Whether it pertains to guns or crimes, criminals will always break laws and banning guns will not keep them out of the hands of criminals.
- Murder is against the law but that hasn't stopped murderers.

You can't legislate a constitutional right (The Second Amendment) away from decent Americans because of the actions of a few, and whether or not you want guns should be up to the individual, not politicians or government.

When in doubt, refer to the words: The Right To Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:19 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are getting good at speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Make up your mind and run with it.

This is the 2nd time you accidentally say the same thing I said, and no doubt you'll walk it back again when you realize you are contradicting yourself.

Sometimes you have common sense, and sometimes only ideological talking points.

As you can see from my comments I would favor very few additions to the laws we already have, and based on NRA survey most gun owners in US agree with me.

I favor a national CCW permit which requires the things I mentioned (practically all already exist), and even today the basic handling course it included in CCW class, and criminal background check is also included.

Perhaps you just like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.
If you insist on claiming I contradict myself, be specific. I believe my position is clear and consistent.

When I read your words, it seems to me that in advocating a uniform national policy for CCW, you are in reality requiring a defacto obligation to secure a CCW permit, which includes background checks, and safety training as a prerequisite ? That being the case, I strongly disagree, and the reason is simple and straight forward. This, or any other “requirement” immediately converts the “right” of firearm ownership/carry into a “privilege”. The problem with this ought to be obvious .... rights cannot be denied, while privileges can be. One need not seek permission to exercise a right, but privileges require permission, i.e., CCW “permit” (permission).

With regard to my comment about no sane rational person wants criminals and crazy people to have firearms, lets be clear .... that does not mean that I am in favor of laws intended to prevent criminals and crazy people from purchasing firearms, because such laws would only serve to make it more burdensome for law abiding citizens, as well as effectively turning a right into a privilege. Therefore, we need to deal with criminals and crazy people from a law enforcement and mental health perspective, rather than craft more laws that both criminals and crazies will continue to ignore.

Again, any mandatory step .... background check, safety training requirement, waiting period, or other mandate is simply not acceptable. Those who want to ignore the clear language of the 2nd Amendment which unequivocally states that “the right to keep and bear arms shall not be (limited or restricted) “infringed”, have an endless list of limitations and restrictions they promote as “common sense”. And each one is just the next step in the greater agenda of doing away with the right to keep and bear arms, altogether.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. Private entities and citizens were allowed to have major implements of war. Now we are much more restricted, but if you have the cash, and a clean background you can still buy artillery, tanks, etc.
The US Constitution grants Congress the power of issuing 'letters of marque,' i.e. license to own and operate a war ship. This implies that the Second Amendment does not extend to such implements of war. I would argue that it could apply also to the AR-15 and 9mm, which after all were designed as a weapons of war, for purposes of mass slaughter.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" These are weapons that are designed for the mass slaughter of innocents."

So, in your mind all these people should NOT have been allowed to defend themselves.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen/

46 pages worth of stories where people WITH A GUN saved their lives and some the lives of others.

And some wonder why we can't have "common sense" discussions on issuers!

"you CAN'T reason with an UN-reasonable person", as they say.
The studies say that you are far more likely to end up with a dead loved one than a dead intruder.

I feel perfectly safe with my extensive electronic security. On the streets, I carry pepper spray and a loud whistle. You do not need a gun.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:29 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The studies say that you are far more likely to end up with a dead loved one than a dead intruder.

I feel perfectly safe with my extensive electronic security. On the streets, I carry pepper spray and a loud whistle. You do not need a gun.
Oh brother....

Old 12-20-2019, 07:40 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
To the first...... all weapons can be use offensively or defensively.
To the second......... such as the AR and AK platforms? With an estimated 20 million in circulation they are certainly in common use.
I own both... AR's and AK's along with an SKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies