Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 08:47 AM

15,680 posts, read 6,386,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It should have already risen...going to be nasty someday. To be fair, the deficit's nancy wrung up under Obama are still higher than the ones she's running up so far under Trump.
Back in 2016, Trump said he would balance the budget 'fairly quickly'. How's that going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 08:56 AM

77,003 posts, read 47,342,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Back in 2016, Trump said he would balance the budget 'fairly quickly'. How's that going?
Actually he said he was going to pay off the national debt.

Instead, he has increased it by 4 trillion.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:11 AM

18,744 posts, read 8,368,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually he said he was going to pay off the national debt.

Instead, he has increased it by 4 trillion.
Trump knows modern money and debt.

IMO he said that simply to please his base.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:02 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,652,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You'd think, but that would also be a bit older style think IMO of course.

Our broad middle class is simply not flush with cash. And rising wages have been meager.

The money supply may grow, but the broad middle class has not been the receiver. And subsequently not the over powerful spenders that might drive inflation.

The new moneys are mainly in banks as excess reserves, overseas, and of course much has gone to the rich who tend to save by various means.

IMO we are in a very different low interest, low inflation general economic paradigm. And need to worry about a potential for '70's style inflation, if onerous. And that is resource dependent inflation.

Cost-Push Inflation vs. Demand-Pull Inflation.

Demand pull continues to be thwarted by our vast productivity, along with our so far available cheap foreign goods.

Cost-push is still but a worry. I'm not sure what sector would actually have the power to incite it. I doubt oil this time around. But I no longer think that more money itself will cause onerous inflation.
I think the reason that inflation does not take hold as much as it would, theoretically, is due to the trade deficit. If the monies created stays circulating in our economy it would be very inflationary but we buy so many foreign produced goods that the inflation gets "exported" to other nation with the dollar. It should devalue the dollar globally, but with it being the reserve currency and oil being traded in dollars, it mutes the impact.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:06 AM

29,919 posts, read 18,754,741 times
Quote:
If he said that, he lied. Trump's never put balancing the budget as a high priority which is why he was elected. The candidates that want to balance the budget get my support but there are too few of us in either party to have an impact.

By the way, Congress passes the budget, not the President so he is not to get blame or credit.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the reason that inflation does not take hold as much as it would, theoretically, is due to the trade deficit. If the monies created stays circulating in our economy it would be very inflationary but we buy so many foreign produced goods that the inflation gets "exported" to other nation with the dollar. It should devalue the dollar globally, but with it being the reserve currency and oil being traded in dollars, it mutes the impact.
We certainly export some our potential inflation. In actual moneys leaving our circulation, in buying all the cheap stuff, and in conserving our own resources and environment.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:17 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,066,222 times
Quote:
Fed Chair Alan Greenspan issued his latest warning Tuesday about the fiscal situation in the U.S., saying that larger budget deficits ultimately will cause inflation.
Reagan had some of the largest budget deficits in history and yet instead of Monetary Inflation you actually had very mild Monetary Deflation.

So long as foreign and domestic entities are buying your debt, Monetary Inflation is not an issue.

Quote:
The deficit has continued to swell under President Donald Trump,...
The Democrats control the House and US Presidents do not have a line-item veto.

If Trump had the line-item veto, he'd red-pencil all the unnecessary pork Democrats stuff into Bills.

So, why are you blaming Trump for the spending Bills Democrats push in his face?

Old 12-18-2019, 03:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,991,028 times
I think the partisan game of blaming one president or another for the debt is a big reason that the problem of the debt is never solved. Obama pointed the finger at Bush, and Trump at Obama. The circular finger-pointing squad ends up giving everyone an out.

I don't see an end in sight. Eventually it will be necessary to inflate our way out of the debt, paying it back with cheaper dollars. It's a tried and true technique of 3rd world nations. Zimbabwe ended up issuing $100 trillion dollar bills due to inflation. They are now collectors items. If I'm not mistaken the $100 Trillion bill was actually worth around five dollars US.

https://www.100trillions.com/product...ollar-banknote

Quote:
Amount: 100 Trillion Dollars
Type: Banknote
Series: AA
Year Printed: 2008
Pick No: P-91
Condition: New

Old 12-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I think the partisan game of blaming one president or another for the debt is a big reason that the problem of the debt is never solved. Obama pointed the finger at Bush, and Trump at Obama. The circular finger-pointing squad ends up giving everyone an out.

I don't see an end in sight. Eventually it will be necessary to inflate our way out of the debt, paying it back with cheaper dollars. It's a tried and true technique of 3rd world nations. Zimbabwe ended up issuing $100 trillion dollar bills due to inflation. They are now collectors items. If I'm not mistaken the $100 Trillion bill was actually worth around five dollars US.

https://www.100trillions.com/product...ollar-banknote
Zimbabwe is an example of governmental malfeasance, loss of safety, security, stability, then loss of productivity. So today they use the USD.

Our national debt is never paid off.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:30 AM

34,148 posts, read 18,407,299 times
Quote:

He tried, and the Democrat controlled House shut down the Government, then the Media lied as usual and said it was Trump's fault. Nice try, but the Dems don't want a balanced budget. They just want a bigger and bigger government.

How about all the campaign promises he's fulfilled in just three years? Fortunately, he will have four more years to fulfill the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies