Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Uganda? Yea that idea lasted about 2 minutes.
Especially after this:

Operation Entebbe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I'd like to see a discussion of Hamas' right to exist...

Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is big! This marks the first time that Hammas as recognized that Israel has a right to exist. While we have a long way to go this is a big step!

Carter: Hamas is willing to accept Israel as its neighbor - Yahoo! News (broken link)
One of the problems with identifying Hamas is that it isn't entirely formed entity. Back in 2006 there were revisions to the Hamas charter that were then reissued, but still the 1988 charter is all that is ever posted. In addition, there were members of Hamas that have called for a 10 year ceasefire and a recognition of the state of Israel if Israel agreed to withdraw from the occupied territories and to the original 1967 borders. (The blue line) While this is positive progress, it is not actually new.

While many will point to the violent history of Hamas and conveniently omit the fact that Israel at one time supported them in an effort to splinter the then powerful PLO under Arafat. They will also omit that Israel and the United States fails to recognize Hamas as a legitimate government, despite the fact that it is currently consolidating with the Fatah members (such as Abbas, the man the US and Israel do recognize) in an effort to move towards a more viable and unified governing body. It seems that we only recognize democracies that we install and not ones that are actually voted into office. Do we honestly believe that we get to pick and choose who gets to rule other nations, have we become so egotistical?

Hamas is no group of boy scouts and they have a great deal of blood on their hands, even if it isn't OUR blood, we act as if it is. Even still, we can either further attempt to splinter Hamas, which has so far failed miserably, or we can attempt to help bring it into the moderate fold.

Contrary to popular belief, many in Israel would like to see an attempt at peace with the Palestinians, even through Hamas. It is an idea more rejected in the United States than it is even in Israel, which I find baffling.

Quote:
To Tel-Aviv, April 13, 2008

Mr. Jimmy Carter, Former President of the United States

Dear Mr. President

I am writing to you on behalf of Gush Shalom, The Israeli Peace Bloc, to congratulate you on your wise and courageous decision to meet in Damascus with Hamas leaders and talk with them on the ways to promote peace in our region. I believe this is an act whose time had come - or rather, is already long overdue - and I would have liked the Government of Israel to avail itself of your position, your prestige and your tireless energy, in order to help end the suffering and bloodshed among both peoples.

full letter here: http://gush-shalom.org.toibillboard....nery_to_Carter

Most Sincerely Yours
Uri Avnery

Former Member of the Knesset

On behalf of Gush Shalom

(The Israeli Peace Bloc)

+972-505-306440

Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM

232 posts, read 948,346 times
SO YOU ALL BASICALLY SAY THAT ISREALHAVE A RIGHT TO THE LAND THEY TOOK AND OCCUPY? EVENTHO THEY ARE NOT FROM THOSE LANDS

YouTube - Re: The resistance to the Khazar domination still lives on

YouTube - 85 % of WORLD JEWS ARE NOT SEMITIC

YouTube - Real Jews are against Zionist Criminals and Israel

Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimor View Post
SO YOU ALL BASICALLY SAY THAT ISREALHAVE A RIGHT TO THE LAND THEY TOOK AND OCCUPY? EVENTHO THEY ARE NOT FROM THOSE LANDS

YouTube - Re: The resistance to the Khazar domination still lives on

YouTube - 85 % of WORLD JEWS ARE NOT SEMITIC

YouTube - Real Jews are against Zionist Criminals and Israel
Prior to the Balfour Declaration, the Zionist movement attempted to purchase land in what is now Israel and the Occupied Territories. It was in part out of Antisemitism that the Balfour Declaration came into being. It was seen as a way to rid many European nations of their Jewish populations and through the creation of a Jewish state, the hopes were that Jews would immigrate to a country of their own.

Granted, the majority of the Jewish population in Israel is not of semitic origins, this means little in a greater context. What gives any people or group the right to exist is their ability to actually exist. Using your argument that since most Jews in Israel are migrants from Eastern Europe, (Ashkanazim as opposed to Sephardim) then they have no rights to the land that is now Israel. So then, using this logic, could we not say that it is wrong that Britain, America, and Canadians (to name a few) do not have the right to exist in the lands of America, Canada, or Australia?

If you note the UN partition plan of 1947, you will see few Jewish interest being involved and in fact it was largely done by various other European powers, most notably, England.
UN General Assembly Resolution 181: Palestine Partition Plan of 1947

While I certainly don't agree with how things are currently transpiring, it is rather ridiculous to paint this as some conspiracy of conquest that was formed by Eastern European Jews.

Also, as you claim that "real Jews" are against Zionism to which I am guessing that you are referring to those of a more Orthodox nature or the Nutri Karta who believe that the state of Israel can only exist when the Jewish peoples have redeemed themselves in the eyes of God and return from Diaspora and not by the creation of man. So, I have to ask, do you think the Muslim population of the region would lay down their arms and welcome the Jewish people if there was proof that God gave it to them?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 PM

62 posts, read 97,799 times
It makes me crack up every time I hear that Israel has a RIGHT to exist. Im not against Israel existing, but rather against it existing on Palestinian land, on the blood of Arabs. I say for those who are die hard Israel supporters, where do you get your morality?. Hamas and the rest of the Palestinians will continue to resist the occupation to their land. The faster we realize that, the better off we are.

If Jews do want a home land for jews only (no matter how racist such an idea sounds) they let it be on lands that are given to them, or lands they can buy with the understanding that a nation of Israel would exist on it. I'm sure New York, New Jersey, Germany and others are willing to accommodate.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 PM

236 posts, read 615,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyofAgesGone View Post
Funny how people call the original inhabitants of the land terrorist and such when the Israeli's have killed three times as many innocent people.

This should immediately debunk plenty of the posts in this thread,however,most American's and Israeli's are racist idiots who completely ignore 100% true,world wide known facts.I guess it is ok to loot,steal,plunder and oppress,as long as youre white.Fight back against these evil,greedy invaders,and youre a ''terrorist'.

Last edited by lioninaconcretejungle; 04-21-2008 at 11:57 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Of course Israel has a right to exist. It's WHERE Israel is existing that has been the problem. I don't know if they'll ever (at least, in my lifetime), agree on the country's boundaries. And, of course, there are the claims over Jerusalem.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
stop bombing is never having to say you are sorry.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Hamas says this today and then they say that tomorrow and launch rockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies