Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,577 times

Advertisements

Uh, hard right? The court is dominated by liberals and moderates who lean left. Goresuch was a solid conservative pick, but Kavanaugh is a moderate who leans left and a noted fan of stare decisis. So right now you have one Libertarian and 2 Conservatives who can be counted on the right, 4 hard core leftists, and two moderates who lean left. Even with Ginsburg going belly up you still have a huge advantage given Kavanaugh's stand on stare decisis. It should also be noted, Thomas is not a social or religious conservative. So if I was a liberal I would not be too worried. Trump can replace Ginsburg and Sotomayer and the court would still likely lean left. The reason, most Justices are products of an educational system that indoctrinates and poisons their very being with liberal orthodoxy. So even a seeming conservative pick will often show liberal colors. I truly believe Kavanaugh was a huge mistake and history shows Republican picks tend to flip. So if Trump gets two more picks, likely one of them will be a closet lefty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 04:40 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
is this what people really want?

Part of the reason a bag part of trump's base never wavers is they don't care if he acts like a strongman, as long as he forces through as many hard right judges as possible who will ban abortion and govern this country based on christian religious principles.

I have to believe that at least some people supporting trump for economic reasons do not want this. Those people need to have a come to jesus moment and switch their vote in the next election, if they don't want the rules of our society determined by religious zealots.

Economics can't be the only choice.
great!!!

Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
You mean judges that rule by law and not politics like liberal judges do
Depends on what those judges consider law. The Constitution or the Bible?

Old 12-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
There you go again.....everytime you guys start this 'all conservatives are Christian right' crap, you just hurt yourselves. Frankly there aren't that many Christian rightists around anymore. I know tons of conservatives, and not a single one of them goes to church.....
Go ahead and believe it if you must, but to defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy. And you clearly don't.
Then why does the GOP platform still read like it was written by Jerry Falwell? You can read the platform here.

https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...1468872234.pdf

Edit: The platform literally laments the cultural changes of the "past five decades" so the idea that Republicans want to bring back the 1950s is not some liberal fantasy. It's in their own platform.

Last edited by bawac34618; 12-18-2019 at 04:59 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Is this what people really want?

Part of the reason a bag part of Trump's base never wavers is they don't care if he acts like a strongman, as long as he forces through as many hard right judges as possible who will ban abortion and govern this country based on Christian religious principles.

I have to believe that at least some people supporting Trump for economic reasons do not want this. Those people need to have a come to Jesus moment and switch their vote in the next election, if they don't want the rules of our society determined by religious zealots.

Economics can't be the only choice.
Before Trump was elected, one thing I was really hoping for is that his nomination/election would be the end of the Moral Majority-era GOP led by the Christian Right. I mean, Trump is probably the least-Christian person to ever hold the office of President (I know, I know, Obama). The Christian Right, early in the election cycle, was against Trump and behind Ted Cruz. It took the endorsements of people like Jerry Falwell Jr and Franklin Graham to convince evangelical Christians to not only support Trump, but also to believe in his divine appointment.

However, since winning the election and being inaugurated, he's pandered to the Christian Right to a far greater extent than even George W. Bush did and has inflamed the culture war into dangerous territory.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
You mean judges that punish people who hurt the community - People that rob, rape and murder
Execute people that murder my children ? Those kind of judges?

Old 12-18-2019, 05:31 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Would you rather hard-wrong?

Old 12-18-2019, 05:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Is this what people really want?
Better than the alternative - radical liberal activist judges who want open borders and to eliminate that "outdated" document.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:37 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
As a lifelong member of a Baptist church, I cannot in my heart of hearts fathom how a Christian could possibly support this vile human filth of a man for anything. I question their faith which my upbringing told me is wrong. I troubles me as a believer and as an American. No one has been able to tell me what it s about this man that commands such loyalty in otherwise decent people

Old 12-18-2019, 05:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Before Trump was elected, one thing I was really hoping for is that his nomination/election would be the end of the Moral Majority-era GOP led by the Christian Right. I mean, Trump is probably the least-Christian person to ever hold the office of President (I know, I know, Obama). The Christian Right, early in the election cycle, was against Trump and behind Ted Cruz. It took the endorsements of people like Jerry Falwell Jr and Franklin Graham to convince evangelical Christians to not only support Trump, but also to believe in his divine appointment.

However, since winning the election and being inaugurated, he's pandered to the Christian Right to a far greater extent than even George W. Bush did and has inflamed the culture war into dangerous territory.
And the unthinkable has happened; cheerleaders were allowed to pray for nobody to be hurt before the game.

That's a theocracy. If a liberal had heard the whole prayer, their head would have exploded.

End voluntary prayer and save liberal heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies