Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:15 AM

34,109 posts, read 18,354,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
When a white nationalist and mass killer is flashing it in a courtroom...the jokes over. Its a white power symbol.

So one or even more idiots use it so therefore NOBDDY ELSE CAN. That is beyond ridiculous. I guess just hide under your bed if everything offends you. Oh no! Someone made a hand gesture! Give me a fainting couch, I have the VAPORS. Oh, no there is a picture of a Nazi soldier on the internet. I need an inhaler! Really???

What you and some others are promoting is the elimination of Free Speech. Take it to the Soviet Union or even Europe. We don't want it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 09:26 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,335,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1 View Post
so one or even more idiots use it so therefore nobddy else can. That is beyond ridiculous. I guess just hide under your bed if everything offends you. oh no! Someone made a hand gesture! Give me a fainting couch, i have the vapors. Oh, no there is a picture of a nazi soldier on the internet. I need an inhaler! really???

What you and some others are promoting is the elimination of free speech. Take it to the soviet union or even europe. We don't want it here!
lol exactly!

Old 12-19-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think most of you never heard of Joachim Peiper before this thread, but I know about him, and his nickname was "Blowtorch" for his ravages across Russia.

Now that Trump is President, it seems to be okay to celebrate Nazi war criminals. Just another step toward fascism, which has never seemed more possible than it does today.
I respect your opinion, but with google, I think most people would know exactly who Peiper was and what he has done. I can only speak for myself, I highly doubt the person who posted the photo has an evil intent, I doubt he/she wanted to honor a white supremacist Nazi war criminal. By the way, not everything is about Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You think those surviving vets would like to see Blowtorch Peiper on their unit Facebook page?

Yea, what a great honor. I'm guessing whoever put that page together don't know squat about their actions in December 1944.
hmm, I can't speak for anybody else, my fiance and my brother are both combat vets. My two uncles are vets (not combat vets), my fiance's father is a combat vet, his two brothers are combat vets, his grandfather was a ww2 combat vet (passed away several years ago) I doubt any of them would be offended by somebody's careless action. Intention is everything. Many of the combat veterans in my opinion have a very twisted humor. I don't think anybody can really speak for ALL of them. Certainly many would find the photo to be offensive, many would not. ALL their opinions should be acknowledged and respected. After all, we are who we are through experiences.

according to this article,

"However, not everyone was outraged by the posting. Boris Stern, an Army veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, told Military Times he was not really concerned about the posting after learning about the incident."

This said, whether or not this photo should be posted is debatable.

To me, this means nothing more than a picture to a name that is historic in context. The story is well-known, who the players were are largely in our heads. The photo brings a sense of factual realism. It seems some have become too sensitive to even look at a historic photo.

All these said, I understand why this photo can be viewed as inappropriate and potentially offensive by many. There are better ways to remember the history or to honor the ww2 vets, I agree. What I disagree with is saying there is a "white power" vibe based on one photo.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-19-2019 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 09:58 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,226,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So one or even more idiots use it so therefore NOBDDY ELSE CAN. That is beyond ridiculous. I guess just hide under your bed if everything offends you. Oh no! Someone made a hand gesture! Give me a fainting couch, I have the VAPORS. Oh, no there is a picture of a Nazi soldier on the internet. I need an inhaler! Really???
lol...you're adorable..

Quote:
What you and some others are promoting is the elimination of Free Speech. Take it to the Soviet Union or even Europe. We don't want it here!
You are free to make the OK hand signal whenever you want. Exempt every other person who sees you do it, especially if they are younger is gonna assume you are a white nationalist. If you what people to know that you are a white nationalist, then go ahead and use it. If you wish to hide that fact from others then I would advise you to not do it. Whatever..your call.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:07 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,226,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"However, not everyone was outraged by the posting. Boris Stern, an Army veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, told Military Times he was not really concerned about the posting after learning about the incident."

This said, whether or not this photo should be posted is debatable.

To me, this means nothing more than a picture to a name that is historic in context. The story is well-known, who the players were are largely in our heads. The photo brings a sense of factual realism. It seems some have become too sensitive to even look at a historic photo.

All these said, I understand why this photo can be viewed as inappropriate and potentially offensive by many. There are better ways to remember to honor the ww2 vets, I agree. What I disagree with is saying there is a "white power" vibe based on one photo.
Had this been posted 10 years ago nobody would have cared, or at the least it would have garnered far less press. The rash of stories coming out of the military, White House, Homeland Security and FBI of closeted white nationalist being outed has made incidents like the one here much more serious.

Also who do you think first brought this post to the attention of the media? Members of the armed forces. A few military members tweeted about the post in disgust and that is how the story broke. Are they a bunch of whiny liberals for finding the post insulting?

Those attempting to downplay the incident are either being purposely obtuse and thus not acting in good faith or they are just really dumb.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:10 AM

46,757 posts, read 25,681,251 times
Is this the thread where white nationalists pretend to be stupid about the concept of "context"?

Old 12-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Had this been posted 10 years ago nobody would have cared, or at the least it would have garnered far less press. The rash of stories coming out of the military, White House, Homeland Security and FBI of closeted white nationalist being outed has made incidents like the one here much more serious.

Also who do you think first brought this post to the attention of the media? Members of the armed forces. A few military members tweeted about the post in disgust and that is how the story broke. Are they a bunch of whiny liberals for finding the post insulting?

Those attempting to downplay the incident are either being purposely obtuse and thus not acting in good faith or they are just really dumb.
I said nothing about whiny liberals.

ALL I am saying is that I don't agree with the demonizing without all the facts. Intention is everything.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:15 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,935,038 times
Quote:

i guess he's ok with letting 4chan trolls dictate what can and cannot be spoken or signified.

maybe the 4chan miscreants can convince the world that the name Ken has white power connotations, that should be hysterical.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i guess he's ok with letting 4chan trolls dictate what can and cannot be spoken or signified.

maybe the 4chan miscreants can convince the world that the name Ken has white power connotations, that should be hysterical.
I think people choose to see what they want to see. (We all do it, so it is just human nature, I guess)

according to the article,

The Airborne Corps said in a Facebook post on Tuesday morning that the “intent was to tell the full story of the Battle of the Bulge, which will continue here, by explaining the incredible odds that were stacked up against the American Soldier by the time the reserve was called in on 18 Dec.”

The photo may be offensive or inappropriate, but I highly doubt the person posted the photo had a bad intention. A careless mistake, may be, especially in such a political or social climate, (one can say they should've known better than that) but promoting or honoring white supremacist or celebrating Nazi war criminals? Come on.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,067,439 times
ITT, folks who don’t understand context...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies