Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 04:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
As I noted earlier, just because crime doesn't make it into statistics doesn't mean that crime is not occurring. People in small towns are much more likely to know their police officials intimately (meaning on a personal/friendly basis) as a result, they are less likely to pull in their friends and criminalize them unless it is something extreme.

In larger urban areas, people don't know each other as intimately as they do in small towns and so more crime is reported as there is no personal ramifications for doing so.
LOL... what a ridiculous theory and claim! But I don't think I've ever seen it made before, so credit for originality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 PM

8,214 posts, read 3,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, just the same, this is what I see. Someone who has a job and can legitimately take care of themselves and their family, someone with something to hope for and hope in, is far less likely to commit murder than someone who has no hope in them and lives like an animal.

I work for a living. The job I have, I like. There are mornings I think "I don't want to get up, I'm too tired". However, for me, there is always something to hope in each day. I think about this: I'm in a decent place in my life. I don't want to screw that up by committing a crime, or even being around anyone who is involved in that.

It isn't so much income, but hopelessness. Lack of income can drive alot of theft. Hopelessness, rage, and vindictiveness drives alot of violence. A person with nothing to lose but their life has little problem taking someone else's life.
Yes, desperation drives a lot of crime in impoverished situations.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:34 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, desperation drives a lot of crime in impoverished situations.
Agreed. Desperation drives alot of crime. So does being vindictive, selfish, and angry. Alot of people with mental health problems in the impoverished areas, and no one gets help. You just learn how to be tough. But what one really learns is how to be violent and predatory. You learn "kill or be killed". It is a combination of things.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:36 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,953 times
Because we are naturally the opposite of those populations with low crime. Too bad this has been ignored from the beginning for the sake of entertainment, profits, and bragging. Are we finally done with this now? We bad. You good.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Because we are naturally the opposite of those populations with low crime. Too bad this has been ignored from the beginning for the sake of entertainment, profits, and bragging. Are we finally done with this now? We bad. You good.
Good one.

There are people who look at Blacks as inferior, as inherently violent, as inherently prone to crime. Some people do see it as "Blacks are bad, non-Blacks are good".

Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 PM

There are a multitude of factors that drive individuals to commit crimes. It isn't just one or the other.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:08 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Good one.

There are people who look at Blacks as inferior, as inherently violent, as inherently prone to crime. Some people do see it as "Blacks are bad, non-Blacks are good".
I'd say far more than 50 percent of non-blacks see it that way. Almost all see blacks as less perfect than everyone else, no matter what. Almost all see whites as perfection, no matter what.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:12 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm referring to crimes like robberies,burglaries, assaults,homicides and drug dealing. How can these crimes be reduced in poor areas?
This is a question that does not have a straightforward answer, I'm afraid. It depends on the area's needs and what caused crime to rise in the first place. From my observation, I have noticed that poorer areas that see all types of crime at high frequency often have matching levels of blight in the physical area itself, further creating a sense of hopelessness and it becomes that much harder to fix or mitigate versus a poorer area that simply sees much of its crime perpetuated by gang on gang but the physical conditions of the area is still intact and may even maintain a vibrant commercial district. This is what I noticed to be a fundamental difference between poorer African American communities and that of Hispanic areas, even when the common denominator in both are the gangs, at least here in the Chicago area.

Another poster raised up a good point, and that is sometimes when a poor area experiences a reduction of crime, something else potentially insidious may be on the horizon. Basically, rid of one problem and another problem unfolds. That new problem doesn't necessarily have to be crime-related and actually comes with an upgrade. The thing of it is, I'm not entirely against gentrification, because some of these poor areas have become so destitute that there is no other solution. Pockets of urban cities that have essentially become urban prairies could use some gentrification. Just sayin. However, gentrification inevitably comes with higher rents, eventually leading to lower income residents being forced to leave. Those who are middle income are not exactly immune either, and even those who were pioneers in the gentrifying process may find themselves no longer able to afford it and ultimately replaced. There is levels to gentrification.

I grew up in a notoriously crime-ridden suburb. At times, it appears lawless and compared to some other towns in the metropolitan it sort of is deserving of the reputation. How it even got to this point? The root of the problem traces all the way back to when the first street gangs gained a foothold and white flight took hold during the 1960s. But even in the midst of these events happening, if you talk to anyone that lived in those times they will speak of the town as a thriving community. So rather, I'd say much of the current problems may be a byproduct of the loss of industrial jobs in the 1980s, followed by increased corruption on an administrative level and then the infiltration of crack, all in the same decade. Unlike other major cities in the 1980s, crack at first became an epidemic in a few of the poorer inner ring suburbs, and my hometown was among the ones hit the hardest. But I will stop here regarding the history and speak on how the city has tried to curve crime. I don't live there anymore, but I do keep up with what's happening via facebook. Long before then, the community has made efforts to reduce crime, but there is the tendency of those efforts not lasting. Back in the 2000s, the previous mayor declared the suburb in a state of emergency, and so implemented his (albeit a poor man's) version of Chicago's camera installation and heavier police surveillance on blocks and corners that were designated hot spots for gang activity, drugs, and prostitution. There were several of these just three or four blocks in all directions from where I used to live, with two on the same street. Fast forward, stereotypical drug turfs have become mostly a thing of the past, but replacing it comes an even greater amount of vacancy in the residential areas, not to mention renegade gang bangers and other criminals who rather abide by the moniker "EBK, Everybody Killer" than a leader or "big homie". This has manifested itself last year, after violent spike that led it to having a murder rate only second to East St. Louis. To curve this recent violent streak, the new mayor took a rather extreme measure to prohibit liquor stores and clubs/bars in the area from selling alcohol after midnight. It may still be a bit early to call, but this method appears to be working somewhat, even though it could potentially have the lasting effect of driving away what little revenue the community sees. So far, I have yet to hear of a murder this year, compared to the four or five already around this time in 2019.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Lower IQ has a lot to do with it.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Lower IQ has a lot to do with it.
I would have to disagree with that. Most people who commit crimes know what they are doing. It isn't like they are too stupid to stop. People who are mentally retarded could be classified as "low IQ" and it isn't them committing crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies